balls of bearings of front wheel not staying put

Old July 21st 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default balls of bearings of front wheel not staying put

On 21/07/15 08:58, Shadow wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 01:37:22 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls. The "bearing" in this case being
the assembly of the inner race, balls and outer race. Note that a plain
bearing has no balls, and a roller bearing has rollers instead of balls
as the rolling element, for example.

--
JS
Old July 21st 15, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls.

Yep. According to my copy of the _Standard Handbook for Mechanical
Engineers_ (AKA Marks' Handbook), that's the correct technical term, all
right!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 15, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Shadow

wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls.

Yep. According to my copy of the _Standard Handbook for Mechanical
Engineers_ (AKA Marks' Handbook), that's the correct technical term, all
right!

I only use the term when they drop out and fall into places I
can't reach.

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old July 22nd 15, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls. The "bearing" in this case being
the assembly of the inner race, balls and outer race. Note that a plain
bearing has no balls, and a roller bearing has rollers instead of balls
as the rolling element, for example.

The colloquial name for them used to be "Ball Bearing" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.
Old July 27th 15, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Shadow

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:25:41 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Frank Krygowski considered Mon, 20 Jul 2015
22:04:49 -0400 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls.

Yep. According to my copy of the _Standard Handbook for Mechanical
Engineers_ (AKA Marks' Handbook), that's the correct technical term, all
right!

And my usual bearing supplier, Simply Bearings
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/, from whom I bought a bag of 500
each in grade 10 of the common bicycle sizes a while back, as you
shouldn't mix between batches and they are much less expensive in bulk
(you save more than the difference in price between grade 10 and 100).
If you buy in 10s or 50s, you keep having to throw the odd one away,
which adds to the already higher unit cost of small packs.

When deciding on grade, the lower number is the higher grade.
Grade 100 is good for department store bikes and OK for commuters,
cruisers, or beaters, grade 10 is as good as it's worth using on any
bicycle (and you'll be doing well to find better grade ones anyway).
The grade number actually refers to the allowed irregularity, in
millionths of an inch.

The ones sold by the likes of Weldtite as cycle ball bearings
(probably what department store bikes have as standard), in packs,
sometimes with a small tube of grease, are usually grade 1000, which
I'd refer to as slingshot ammo.
They come with a free rumble in every pack!

Ones from actual cycle component manufacturers like Shimano or
Campagnolo are good, but wildly overpriced for a commodity item.

In 3/16th", grade 100 are currently 15.66 GBP for 500, grade 10 are
19.99 GBP, delivered in both cases - it's simply not worth getting the
standard 100 grade ones when the price is so close.
In 10s they are 2.29 & 2.79, respectively.
Stainless are available (at considerable extra cost, and some
compromise on strength), but not generally required on bicycles, as
long as you use decent grease.

I never reuse old ones. If I have cause to take them out, they never
go back.
When the unit cost is 4p per ball (or 72p per front wheel), why reuse
them? You may easily be spending that on grease, and certainly far
more on time, if you place any value on that at all!

I suspect there is a similar business local to anywhere, but for the
UK, I recommend Simply Bearings, as I've dealt with them already, and
found them a good and reliable supplier.
Their site is worth looking at if only for the technical information
there.

Good site and good info.
Bookmarked. Tnx
[]'s
Old July 27th 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:07:01 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 14/07/15 10:00, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It's normal for the balls to fall out very easily.

Really? Not as I remember it. If the cage is not worn, you'd have to
give the balls quite a poke to push them out, IIRC.

--
JS

THE BALLS fall out on the Northern Hemisphere !
Old July 27th 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 8:36:51 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
James writes:

It's normal for the balls to fall out very easily.

Really? Not as I remember it. If the cage is not
worn, you'd have to give the balls quite a poke to
push them out, IIRC.

Is "cage" = "bearing retainer", i.e. what looks like
a tiny crown when without balls?

If so, it is common for the balls to be very stubborn
not wanting to enter their slots at all but still,
turn the bearing retainer on the flip side or drop it
from just a couple of centimeters to the table, and
all the balls all rolling like crazy all over.

How do they do it?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

they have a degree
Old July 27th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

The bearings look like this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bearings.jpg

Without greese, the balls don't stay put. It is enough
for me to turn the bearings upside down in my hand or
drop them from 1-2 cm height to the table for
sometimes several of the balls to roll out. I have
seen this with many bearings, so it is not unique for
a single piece.

The balls are called balls I take it

The "balls" are called bearings.

I'd call the individual balls, "balls. The "bearing" in this case being
the assembly of the inner race, balls and outer race. Note that a plain
bearing has no balls, and a roller bearing has rollers instead of balls
as the rolling element, for example.

--
JS

verb....noun ....adjective .... depends.

OK Bergoid...on the crown race how are the bearing retainers mounted ?