locknuts at the saddle

Old June 13th 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default locknuts at the saddle

One area where I start to think locknuts are
better than regular nuts (the original part,
just hex, not dome nuts) is at the saddle.
The other day I was going without holding the
handlebar and suddenly the saddle got loose and
tilted back. As it happens the nut is partly
behind the saddle, so there is no room to get
in a socket to use a long ratchet shaft.
My longest 13 mm spanner is only ~17 cm, so to
pull tighter really stiffens up your entire
shoulder and neck. I suppose I could get
a longer spanner, or put it into a pipe, but
perhaps locknuts could also solve the issue?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 13th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:36:39 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
One area where I start to think locknuts are
better than regular nuts (the original part,
just hex, not dome nuts) is at the saddle.
The other day I was going without holding the
handlebar and suddenly the saddle got loose and
tilted back. As it happens the nut is partly
behind the saddle, so there is no room to get
in a socket to use a long ratchet shaft.
My longest 13 mm spanner is only ~17 cm, so to
pull tighter really stiffens up your entire
shoulder and neck. I suppose I could get
a longer spanner, or put it into a pipe, but
perhaps locknuts could also solve the issue?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Surely you jest - I can break the edges off of a bolt with a wrench that long.

But from your description what are you riding - one of those obsolete British leather saddles?
Old June 13th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 01:36:35 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

One area where I start to think locknuts are
better than regular nuts (the original part,
just hex, not dome nuts) is at the saddle.
The other day I was going without holding the
handlebar and suddenly the saddle got loose and
tilted back. As it happens the nut is partly
behind the saddle, so there is no room to get
in a socket to use a long ratchet shaft.
My longest 13 mm spanner is only ~17 cm, so to
pull tighter really stiffens up your entire
shoulder and neck. I suppose I could get
a longer spanner, or put it into a pipe, but
perhaps locknuts could also solve the issue?

Buy better hex-wrenches.
See: http://www.parktool.com/product/p-ha...rench-set-ph-1

I'm not recommending Park Tools but I bought hex-wrenches that look
exactly like the ones pictured, individually, for very reasonable
prices. I have 4 and that is all I've needed so far.

I would comment that as a bicycle doesn't exactly vibrate that it is
likely that lock nuts really aren't necessary. I've never had a seat
post come loose (for example :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 13th 17, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

John, I think he's talkingabout nuts on a clamp-seat post holder not the better quality seat post with a hex-bolt. The type he has has a 13mm nut on either side of the saddle rail.. I don't see why the open end of a 13mm wrench/spanner won't fit in there and give him enough leverage to tighten the clamp sufficiently so that the saddle doesn't move on it's own.

Don't people check their bicycles periodically for loose bolts or nots or other wear? "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". "A stich in time saves nine".

Cheers
Old June 13th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure how I take hex wrenches. If you make the wrench too hard it can knock the hex screw out by rounding out the interior if you over-tighten as most people do. So they make these hex wrenches a bit softer than the most common grades of bolts used on most bikes and the damn things wear out.
Old June 14th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well I'm probably wrong as I don't have any bikes with hex nuts so I
guess I assumed "Bicycle = Internal wrenching". But still, if you
can't tighten a nut/bolt tight enough to hold then the addition of a
lock nut isn't going to add anything to the holding power of the
nut/bolt, as to properly install a lock nut one first tightens the
primary nut and then torques the lock nut against the primary nut.
..
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 17, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Unless his bolt is bottoming out in the threads.

Pedal cones and locknuts: how to tighten? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 13 September 15th 05 11:22 PM
Campy Locknuts JJ Techniques 5 June 7th 05 01:55 PM
Air Saddle vs. Fusion Saddle Moogs Unicycling 12 April 20th 05 05:36 AM
"Outboard" bearings on hubs (not really outboard but at the locknuts) Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 17 February 6th 05 10:40 PM
Torker saddle == Miyata saddle? Sofa Unicycling 8 January 13th 04 02:57 AM