Clothing for the Cold question

Old October 21st 04, 07:13 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

My rule is as long as I don't have a fever, just ride. My wife told
me my rule was dumb, so I asked my doctor. The doctor backed me up.

The year I was 3rd at the San Bruno Mtn Hillclimb I had a very sore throat
and a fever of 102+. Oh to be young & stupid & have no future (I was, what,
17 then?). Some might think that dumb, some might think that stupid. I
prefer to think of myself as both dumb *and* stupid. But it's been a heck
of a great ride so far.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
Dane Jackson

Terry Morse wrote:

I just tried out a pair of REI shell gloves yesterday. They have a
gauntlet with a cinch cord, and they have a waterproof/breathable
membrane. While my hands weren't bone dry, they did stay drier than
I would have expected. The only downside was that they were too hot
on the climbs.

If they're the same ones I bought last year, I would call them okay.
They're good at what they're designed for (keeping your hands at a
decent temp in cold/wet weather). But they weren't very durable. They
didn't last me a full season (Dec-May) unfortunately. I had lots of
seam splits, and tears in the palm fabric. I liked them, but I'm not
planning on buying them again.

Hope you have better luck with them.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"We need radical activism so that the moderates
Old October 28th 04, 03:41 PM
Robert Dole

Booker C. Bense . stanford.edu

_ Waterproof gloves are largely marketing fiction since there is
no cost effective way to seal all the seams in a glove. And even
if the glove does have a seamless WB liner[1], unless you duct
tape it to your arm it just fills with water
eventually. Generally, I've found that what "waterproof" means is
that all the water that gets in stays in.

"Waterproof" isn't the only marketing fiction.
Here's an entry from the Specialized e-mail I received today:
03 Sub Zero Glove
True cold weather/winter glove with features such as a fleece liner
that is removeable for quick drying. Rated to 20F
"Sub-zero" means one thing where they use Celsius (and this is -5C).
But in a Farenheit country I would expect a "Sub-zero" name to be used
only for stuff to be rated at least -1F.

This may reflect a personality defect on my part.

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
cold weather and bell volume Tanya Quinn General 4 November 19th 03 03:04 AM
Cold weather clothing stamkis Mountain Biking 9 October 20th 03 03:18 AM
Question for the anti-helmet guys Harris Techniques 37 October 7th 03 04:40 PM
need some ideas for cold weather/utility type clothing Dave W Mountain Biking 0 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM