campagnolo on a cross bike

Old June 25th 05, 04:32 PM
Robin Hubert

Default campagnolo on a cross bike

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Paul Southworth wrote:

Campy 8s is not desirable at all unless you already own it - stay away.

Don't get this as well....why 'not desirable'? Campag 8s cogset and 8s
chains are easy and I think any cogset that has bigger spacing with
'cross' is a great idea.

Sure, it's easy to get Campy 8-speed parts at a local bike shop,
as long as your local bike shop is on Pearl in Boulder or a small
handful of other locations. Most shops throw up their hands at
this stuff, when the freehub or shifter dies. The original poster
says he owns a set of 10s levers and would convert them to 8. You
seem to be telling him that is a good plan.

That's exactly what I'm telling him. 'Lazy shops in the US are not
Campagnolo's problem. Service managers and owners that are too damn
lazy to find the dozen or so places that stock this stuff ought to go
out of BIZ. 8s Campagnolo stuff is avialable from the same distributors
they get their shimano stuff from, just turn the page, and there it
is!!.

I think this plan is a waste of money and time better spent riding
(which makes it perfect for usenet). If he owned 8s already I
wouldn't suggest getting rid of it, it's fine. What is half a
millimeter of cog spacing worth in time and money? Is this the
world champion's bike or something? The fact that he has 10s ergo
levers in hand makes the choice obvious to me.

Maybe to you but actually ride and race a cross bike in a wee bit of
goo and see. Those that have 8s spacing will need a bike change much
less often than those with 9s or 10s. This is cross racing and altho he
isn't a world champion, he deserves information that will allow him to
race with a minimum of problems.
Just because switching to 8s seems daunting to you doesn't make it a
bad idea.
Time?-about 15 minutes, Money? $35....not to tough to handle.

--Paul

Peter,
What are the big-shots running? 8sp?

Robin (doesn't think it matters much either) Hubert
Old June 26th 05, 02:35 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Robin Hubert wrote:

Peter,
What are the big-shots running? 8sp?

Robin (doesn't think it matters much either) Hubert

Many use 8s, even on shimano. Travis Brown, a long term Trek rider,
races on a 2 by 8 on a MTB and often a 1 by 8 on a cross bike.

Old June 26th 05, 03:52 PM
Mark Hickey

Robin Hubert wrote:

Peter,
What are the big-shots running? 8sp?

Robin (doesn't think it matters much either) Hubert

Many use 8s, even on shimano. Travis Brown, a long term Trek rider,
races on a 2 by 8 on a MTB and often a 1 by 8 on a cross bike.

FWIW, I ride 8 speed on my own road, MTB and TT bikes. Simply haven't
found a good reason to "upgrade" (especially when it means more
expensive cassettes and chains).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old June 27th 05, 04:32 AM
Chalo

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

And CycloCross World has Campy compatible chainrings.

Heeeeere we go!

I think he just means 135mm bolt circle pattern rings.

Chalo Colina

Old June 27th 05, 01:11 PM
Anthony A.

That is, when he's not running 1x1.
He's become quite the singlespeeder, of late.