? - To build or not to build -- a bike - ?

Old August 1st 03, 03:34 PM
KBH

Default ? - To build or not to build -- a bike - ?

The real fun begins when you have your 1 or 2 (or 3) "primary" bikes (i.e.
road, mountian, touring) , and yet you still have a bunch of leftover parts.
Then it gets crazy.

"Wow, that cool used frame on Ebay is my size - and heck - I already have a
rear derailer. Gotta buy it!"

"Andrew Short" wrote in message
et...
A few years I decided to build my own computer before my mind went to mush
and I couldn't think anymore. I did that, and it turned out well.

Now I've got the bug to build a bike (or buy one, which would be the easy
thing to do); and I'd like your opinions about that, e.g., is the reason I
haven't noticed posts to that issue because it's too damn stupid an idea

or
what? I've read that it's cheaper to buy an assembled bike, that

economies
of scale make them cheaper than a build-your-own. Is that correct; and,

if
so, how much might be saved by buying, say, a $1500 bike rather than
building it with the same components.

I know there are innumerable variables, e.g., personal, technical,

quality,
etc.; but, if you can respond to the question in a very general way, I'll
appreciate it.

Or is this whole question just inane drivel?

Thanks for your responses. -

Andrew Short
Dallas

Old August 1st 03, 08:11 PM
Mark Hickey

"Scott C" wrote:

I am still thinking of building a bike, but when I look at the cost of
components, it seems very cost prohibitive - for instance, any frame I would
like is $500+.. and even if I went with a $300 frame, and got the XTR "kit"
($340) I still need wheels (about $200 for my min) tires, breaks,handlebars
.. I'm honestly afraid to add it all up - it will be close to $2000 (yes,
for some of you this is not much).. but all I'd like to do is build a
reasonable bike and I could be proud of.

I don't see how I can buy the parts to build a bike at this rate.

One thing that I've seen Habanero customers do is to buy a new bike at
some monster closeout price (or even a used bike), and then strip it
and use the parts to build up their Habanero frame. Then they sell
the "new frame" and probably end up way ahead of trying to buy all the
components "raw". Just make sure the frames are close to the same
size or you'll end up needing a lot of new cables and fork.

Just a thought...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 1st 03, 08:43 PM
Lewdvig:^

I want all the cool bikes that I could not buy when I was little to
come and live with me now. I do 30-60 minutes on eBay 'road bikes'
almost every night.

The logic - if it can be called that - goes like this: I ordered an
extra ITM Millenium Stem. Oh well, I guess I need a 1982 Zues Fagor
team bike to covert to 9spd Campy.

Old August 1st 03, 11:52 PM
Andrew Short

Default Thanks re. - To build or not to build -- a bike

Just a short post to thank all of you who responded to my question about
whether or not to even consider building my own bike.

You gave me several perspectives that I'd not considered . . .so we'll see.

Of course, the question is still up in the air; but I can feel the "wannas"
gnawing at me. Maybe I know this person with a big, mostly empty garage and
lots of mechanic's tools already there . . . and I maybe can get a used bike
repair stand on the web . . .

Oh, one more thing -- are there web sites / books for helping with the
construction process, or do I just need to find detailed maintenance books
or depend on instructions that come with the various components . . . in
case the build-it-bug takes a hunk out of me?

Again, thank you all for your help!

Andrew Short
Dallas / Fort Worth, TX

Old August 2nd 03, 02:02 AM
Mark Hickey

"Andrew Short" wrote:

Oh, one more thing -- are there web sites / books for helping with the
construction process, or do I just need to find detailed maintenance books
or depend on instructions that come with the various components . . . in
case the build-it-bug takes a hunk out of me?

Tim Laflin (the tech guru over on Campyonly.com) has put together a
series of video tapes that cover building a bike and maintenance.
There is more info on www.campyonly.com and at Branford (not sure of
the url, sorry).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 4th 03, 04:12 AM
Andrew Lee

"KBH" wrote in message
et...
The real fun begins when you have your 1 or 2 (or 3) "primary" bikes (i.e.
road, mountian, touring) , and yet you still have a bunch of leftover

parts.
Then it gets crazy.

"Wow, that cool used frame on Ebay is my size - and heck - I already have

rear derailer. Gotta buy it!"

Another variation: There are some parts that I just like or think are
ideal, that I would be tempted to buy even if I can't use them right away.
I've only succumbed once. I saw a set of standard (long) reach single pivot
Shimano 105 calipers (mmm... sweet) on Ebay and I bought them. Now I'll
have to get a custom frame built around them.