Top Swing or Down Swing

Old November 14th 03, 03:45 PM
Lou Holtman

Default Top Swing or Down Swing

Hi,

Is there a difference in shifting performance between a Top Swing and a
Down Swing front derailleur (Shimano XT) and if so what is the reason?

TIA,

Lou
Old November 16th 03, 01:40 AM
GregR

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:45:20 +0100, Lou Holtman wrote:

Hi,

Is there a difference in shifting performance between a Top Swing and a
Down Swing front derailleur (Shimano XT) and if so what is the reason?

After using top-swing FDs on several MTBs over the years (XT, LX, XTR
differential plate model), I ended up with a bike that would not
accept a top-swing FD, and found the bottom-swing shifted better than
any of my other bikes.

Since using the bottom-swing, I have replaced another il- working
top-swing model with a bottom-swing, and its been great. And I am
waiting for something to happen to the 3rd bike's top-swing FD so I
can change it too.

I find that the top-swing models flex a lot more than top-swing
models.

Some bikes can't use a bottom swing, typically when the bottle cage
boss ends up right where the FD clamp goes.

Personally, I will use top-swing FDs until they come up with a better
way to shift on the front ring.

Old November 16th 03, 11:06 AM
Per Elmsäter

GregR wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:45:20 +0100, Lou Holtman wrote:

Hi,

Is there a difference in shifting performance between a Top Swing
and a Down Swing front derailleur (Shimano XT) and if so what is the
reason?

After using top-swing FDs on several MTBs over the years (XT, LX, XTR
differential plate model), I ended up with a bike that would not
accept a top-swing FD, and found the bottom-swing shifted better than
any of my other bikes.

Since using the bottom-swing, I have replaced another il- working
top-swing model with a bottom-swing, and its been great. And I am
waiting for something to happen to the 3rd bike's top-swing FD so I
can change it too.

I've followed you up till now.

I find that the top-swing models flex a lot more than top-swing
models.

Getting a little confusing.

Some bikes can't use a bottom swing, typically when the bottle cage
boss ends up right where the FD clamp goes.

Now I'm confused. Do you mean top or bottom swing?

Personally, I will use top-swing FDs until they come up with a better
way to shift on the front ring.

And now I'm really confused. Didn't you start out by saying that you
prefered bottom swing?

Perre

Old November 16th 03, 11:50 AM
Lou Holtman

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
GregR wrote:
[...]

What I ment in the first place was

down swing = clamp above the cage,
top swing = clamp under the cage,

Both Top Pull ;-)

I too notice that a top swing flex a lot more.

Lou

Old November 16th 03, 10:13 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

What I ment in the first place was

down swing = clamp above the cage,
top swing = clamp under the cage,

Both Top Pull ;-)

I too notice that a top swing flex a lot more.

All I know is that my XT top swing derailer is a piece of crap. I don't know if
it's flex inherent to the design, or that this particular model has sloppy
pivots. But if I could find a good replacement with a bottom swing design I'd
buy it. So far, I haven't found one that's top pull, bottom swing, for a 1 3/8"
seat tube.

Matt O.

Old November 16th 03, 10:46 PM
Lou Holtman

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

What I ment in the first place was

down swing = clamp above the cage,
top swing = clamp under the cage,

Both Top Pull ;-)

I too notice that a top swing flex a lot more.

All I know is that my XT top swing derailer is a piece of crap. I don't

know if
it's flex inherent to the design, or that this particular model has sloppy
pivots. But if I could find a good replacement with a bottom swing design

I'd
buy it. So far, I haven't found one that's top pull, bottom swing, for a

1 3/8"
seat tube.

Matt O.

Isn't the Shimano FD-M751 SH-562052 the one you are looking for (XT down
swing/top pull with a 34.9 mm clamp)?

Lou

Old November 17th 03, 01:09 AM
Matt O'Toole

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

Isn't the Shimano FD-M751 SH-562052 the one you are looking for (XT down
swing/top pull with a 34.9 mm clamp)?

Could be, but I've never been able to find one in stock anywhere.

Matt O.

Old November 17th 03, 05:04 AM
A Muzi

Matt O'Toole wrote:
All I know is that my XT top swing derailer is a piece of crap. I don't know if
it's flex inherent to the design, or that this particular model has sloppy
pivots. But if I could find a good replacement with a bottom swing design I'd
buy it. So far, I haven't found one that's top pull, bottom swing, for a 1 3/8"
seat tube.

We have the Deore LX M566 in 34.8, TP, Bottom swing black
color $34.95, part of a tranche of obsolete but useful front
changers.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ders.html

There are too darn many variables for FDers!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org