Helmets Work!

Old August 4th 13, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

Default Helmets Work!

On 8/4/2013 5:07 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/4/2013 2:31 PM, Gus wrote:

I wear bright yellow or orange tshirts and they often still don't see
me, even though I see them look right at me...

It's because your orange or yellow tee-shirt is steady, not flashing.

You could have flashing clothes, but the police will arrest you for
indecent exposure.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 4th 13, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Nothing like an axe to grind was Helmets Work!

On 8/4/2013 6:11 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/4/2013 2:36 PM, Gus wrote:

There may be some truth to it though;
the motorcyclist must not have seen him or severely misgauged his speed.
(Btw, I am not pro-blinky front white annoying lights. What if they
were yellow during the day? Or noticeable but not annoying and
distracting to other people on the road. When I drive my black car, I
have my headlights on whether day or night.)

You do realize that many motorcycles have modulated headlights to
increase daytime visibility.

yeah, those are obnoxious too, albeit legal.

I wouldn't have one of those devices either.

nate

Old August 4th 13, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/4/2013 3:31 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 8/4/2013 6:11 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/4/2013 2:36 PM, Gus wrote:

There may be some truth to it though;
the motorcyclist must not have seen him or severely misgauged his speed.
(Btw, I am not pro-blinky front white annoying lights. What if they
were yellow during the day? Or noticeable but not annoying and
distracting to other people on the road. When I drive my black car, I
have my headlights on whether day or night.)

You do realize that many motorcycles have modulated headlights to
increase daytime visibility.

yeah, those are obnoxious too, albeit legal.

I wouldn't have one of those devices either.

Whatever. The bottom line is that the modulated and flashing lights are
much more conspicuous that a steady light (or no light), in the daytime.
No one can force you to do what's logical and beneficial.

Old August 4th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 16:22:40 -0400, "Gus"
wrote:

Bell replace mine; I think at cost? Do they still do that?

Sorta. Bell offers a discount on a replacement helmet:
http://www.bellhelmets.com/crash-replacement
The deal was to send them a check for $35.00 for Fusion In-Mold
helmets or $20.00 for non-Fusion helmets, and you get a new helmet.
That info used to be on the web site, but has been removed. My
guess(tm) is the dollar amounts have changed.

Here's Giro's policy:
http://www.giro.com/us_en/customer-service/cycling-helmet-faqs/
(bottom of page). The discount is 30% off list price. Note that Bell
bought Giro in late 1995.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 5th 13, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
Datesfat Chicks

Default Amazing!

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:57:32 -0400, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 08-04-2013 16:29, sms wrote:
It's amazing how many drivers can look directly at a bicycle but the
bicycle's presence simply does not register. Or they think, "it's a
bicycle, it must be going slow, and it's far away enough that I have
time to go."

Indeed. Almostas amazing are the ones who have the right-of-way, see a
bicycle that can't possible reach them in sixty seconds, yet stop and
wait.

That isn't a reasonable complaint. If a person recognizes that they
can't judge the speed of a bicycle or motorcycle accurately then plays
it ultra-conservative ... nothing wrong with that.

But the most amazing are the ones who do that, then take off as soon as
you begin to enter the intersection.

Old August 5th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
SMS

wrote:

Bell replace mine; I think at cost? Do they still do that?

Sorta. Bell offers a discount on a replacement helmet:
http://www.bellhelmets.com/crash-replacement
The deal was to send them a check for $35.00 for Fusion In-Mold
helmets or $20.00 for non-Fusion helmets, and you get a new helmet.
That info used to be on the web site, but has been removed. My
guess(tm) is the dollar amounts have changed.

Here's Giro's policy:
http://www.giro.com/us_en/customer-service/cycling-helmet-faqs/
(bottom of page). The discount is 30% off list price. Note that Bell
bought Giro in late 1995.

Of course the street price already is usually at least 30% off list price.

Old August 5th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gus

"sms" wrote in message
On 8/4/2013 2:31 PM, Gus wrote:

I wear bright yellow or orange tshirts and they often still don't see
me, even though I see them look right at me...

It's because your orange or yellow tee-shirt is steady, not flashing.

d'oh!

Old August 5th 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
Wes Groleau

On 08-04-2013 19:43, Datesfat Chicks wrote:
wrote:
On 08-04-2013 16:29, sms wrote:
It's amazing how many drivers can look directly at a bicycle but the
bicycle's presence simply does not register. Or they think, "it's a
bicycle, it must be going slow, and it's far away enough that I have
time to go."

Indeed. Almostas amazing are the ones who have the right-of-way, see a
bicycle that can't possible reach them in sixty seconds, yet stop and
wait.

That isn't a reasonable complaint. If a person recognizes that they
can't judge the speed of a bicycle or motorcycle accurately then plays
it ultra-conservative ... nothing wrong with that.

If they can't guess that a bicyclist is going slower than sixty miles
per hour, then they have no business touching a steering wheel.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that “inevitable" is
neither a synonym for “good" nor for “bad.”

Old August 5th 13, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 8/4/2013 5:59 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 8/4/2013 3:45 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]
And I'd put a blinkie on a Paramount about as soon as I'd put DRLs on a
3.0CSL Batmobile.

nate

How about spinners on a vintage Studebaker?

There's no evidence that spinners make you more conspicuous, and not
just no but hell no!
Old August 5th 13, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"sms" wrote in message
On 8/4/2013 2:36 PM, Gus wrote:

There may be some truth to it though;
the motorcyclist must not have seen him or severely misgauged his speed.
(Btw, I am not pro-blinky front white annoying lights. What if they
were yellow during the day? Or noticeable but not annoying and
distracting to other people on the road. When I drive my black car, I
have my headlights on whether day or night.)

You do realize that many motorcycles have modulated headlights to increase
daytime visibility. Not exactly the same as a flasher, but the same idea.
"78% of motorcycle accidents involve the driver of a car encroaching on
the riders right of way. Statements to police usually go something like
"I made the left turn and never saw the motorcycle"

A few decades ago when seatbelts became compulsory in the UK, we had a
series of safety adverts showing a car being pulled out on by a truck,
incidents of cars pulling out on motorcycles hit an all time low for a few
months - pity it didn't last.