Drink

Old August 8th 13, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Drink

What do others use for on bike hydration?

Assuming, say 30 deg. C or higher temperatures and more then 3 hours
on the bike.

I've been drinking Gatorade but recently I got lost in N.E. Bangkok
and spent a couple of hours figuring out where I was and getting back
to terra cognita and finished both the bottles of Gatorade I had on
board. About 10 Km from home I realized that in addition to a burning
thirst I was also beginning to feel a bit hammered. Luckily every
petrol station here has some sort of 7-11 shop so I stopped and bought
a medium size bottle of cold water - smaller then the 1.5 lt. bottles
so likely 3/4 or 1 lt. and poured it down. Back on the bike and by the
next station I was a less woozy but my mouth was still dry so I
stopped again and bought another two bottles drank one and stuck the
other in my pocket.

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg
drank about half of the remaining bottle by the time I arrived at the
house and other then the normal tired legs felt great.

Gatorade is about 6% carbohydrate, which is said to aid absorption,
plus some Sodium and Potassium, but based on the experience above I
feel that the cold water was absorbed about as fast as I could pour it
down.

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with
perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water
with or without salt?

Or...?

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 8th 13, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 8/8/2013 10:51 AM, John B. wrote:

What do others use for on bike hydration?

Assuming, say 30 deg. C or higher temperatures and more then 3 hours
on the bike.

I've been drinking Gatorade but recently I got lost in N.E. Bangkok
and spent a couple of hours figuring out where I was and getting back
to terra cognita and finished both the bottles of Gatorade I had on
board. About 10 Km from home I realized that in addition to a burning
thirst I was also beginning to feel a bit hammered. Luckily every
petrol station here has some sort of 7-11 shop so I stopped and bought
a medium size bottle of cold water - smaller then the 1.5 lt. bottles
so likely 3/4 or 1 lt. and poured it down. Back on the bike and by the
next station I was a less woozy but my mouth was still dry so I
stopped again and bought another two bottles drank one and stuck the
other in my pocket.

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg
drank about half of the remaining bottle by the time I arrived at the
house and other then the normal tired legs felt great.

Gatorade is about 6% carbohydrate, which is said to aid absorption,
plus some Sodium and Potassium, but based on the experience above I
feel that the cold water was absorbed about as fast as I could pour it
down.

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with
perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water
with or without salt?

Or...?

I think that water is good to have in addition to something with
electrolytes etc.

I usually start out with one bottle of water and one using Heed.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-drink.he.html

The Heed stuff is cheaper than Gatorade, especially when shopping at
convenience stores. You can carry some extra powder with you and mix it
up when you run out.

I started using this because my blood sugar gets wonky sometime and this
seems to affect me less adversely than Gatorade. Although the G2 wasn't
so bad.

There are other powders that are similar but less expensive though the
few I tried tasted like Flintstone Vitamins.

Old August 8th 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 8/8/2013 11:12 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg
[...]

Sam's Club has the big canisters of Gatorade powder, making that likely
the most cost effective sports drink solution. Much as I hate the Sam's
I don't know where else to buy them other than online.

nate
Old August 8th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/8/2013 7:51 AM, John B. wrote:

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with
perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water
with or without salt?

Gatorade is _always_ the best choice of the ones you presented, it helps
you and it helps the Gators
http://www.research.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v08n1/gatorade.html
because they still receive royalties. The downside is that you're also
helping Pepsico.

But the reality is that you asked the wrong question and left out the
best option for hydration while cycling--coffee. In a place like
Thailand, with hot weather, you might opt for iced coffee which is
widely available (and of course you can make your own).

Also from University of Florida researchers:

"The improved endurance from taking caffeine is said to be achieved by
the "sparing" of muscle glycogen. Here's what this means. When you
perform an activity for an extended period of time, and at a moderate
pace, about half of your energy comes from glycogen (carbohydrates). The
other half comes from fat. But as the pace increases, your muscles begin
to rely increasingly on glycogen, and fat becomes less important.
Unfortunately, glycogen reserves, compared to fat deposits, are quite
limited. So after about an hour or two of exercise, your glycogen supply
abruptly runs out. And, as runners say, you "hit the wall." You can go
no further. The caffeine helps, because it stimulates an increased use
of fat as fuel during the exercise. As a result, glycogen is conserved
(spared), and you can keep going longer."
http://web.archive.org/web/20060913221026/http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/faculty/pbird/keepingfit/ARTICLE/caff.HTM

You should definitely check out http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com/.

Experts Agree, Coffee Is Good Food—Drink Lots(TM)

Old August 8th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gus

"sms" wrote in message

[...]

But caffeine is a diuretic. Who wants more stops and brbs when cycling?

Old August 8th 13, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:51:12 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
What do others use for on bike hydration?

I carry two bottles of water.

Assuming, say 30 deg. C or higher temperatures...

Let's see... 9/5 + 32 = 86° F (?) - that's exactly what it was here
yesterday!

... and more then 3 hours
on the bike.

My commute is generally less than two hours (one way). If I was
going to be riding all day I'd still use plain water to keep
myself "hydrated", plus food for the blood chemistry.

I've been drinking Gatorade but recently I got lost in N.E. Bangkok
and spent a couple of hours figuring out where I was and getting back
to terra cognita and finished both the bottles of Gatorade I had on
board. About 10 Km from home I realized that in addition to a burning
thirst I was also beginning to feel a bit hammered.

I carry one (1) Clif Mojo Bar (the kind with raisins in it) and one
(1) Powerbar in my bag. If I anticipate needing food along the way I
stick *another* Powerbar in my jersey pocket to get warm and soft.

(Plain raisins are an excellent source of potassium, and super
carbohydrate.)

Luckily every
petrol station here has some sort of 7-11 shop so I stopped and bought
a medium size bottle of cold water - smaller then the 1.5 lt. bottles
so likely 3/4 or 1 lt. and poured it down. Back on the bike and by the
next station I was a less woozy but my mouth was still dry so I
stopped again and bought another two bottles drank one and stuck the
other in my pocket.

It's a really, really bad feeling to be running out of water and not
sure where to get more. When it's hot outside, I'm already planning
my route to land at a watering hole and refill when I start out.

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg
drank about half of the remaining bottle by the time I arrived at the
house and other then the normal tired legs felt great.

Gatorade is about 6% carbohydrate, which is said to aid absorption,
plus some Sodium and Potassium, but based on the experience above I
feel that the cold water was absorbed about as fast as I could pour it
down.

I don't understand the absorption thing (sounds like marketing hype).
What else can water do but be absorbed? I guess if you drink it too
fast it might slosh around in your gut for a while, but if you're
thirsty, drink.

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with
perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water
with or without salt?

Well, as I said, I like plain water. But something with sugar in it
can really hit the spot - especially nice and cold after hours of
drinking warm water.

The Powerbars are basically a bar of sugar, but fortified with other
stuff. The Mojo bar has sodium and potassium - not a huge amount, but
some.

I have found that if my diet has been inadequately balanced somehow,
plain water can seem to flush out what's left of something my body
needs, making me woozy.

Or...?

Hey! What about plain water bottles, a few energy / snack bars, and
a vial of that Gatorade powder for if you really need electrolytes
in liquid suspension.
Old August 8th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Thursday, 8 August 2013 15:51:12 UTC+1, John B. wrote:
What do others use for on bike hydration?

Assuming, say 30 deg. C or higher temperatures and more then 3 hours

on the bike.

I've been drinking Gatorade but recently I got lost in N.E. Bangkok

and spent a couple of hours figuring out where I was and getting back

to terra cognita and finished both the bottles of Gatorade I had on

board. About 10 Km from home I realized that in addition to a burning

thirst I was also beginning to feel a bit hammered. Luckily every

petrol station here has some sort of 7-11 shop so I stopped and bought

a medium size bottle of cold water - smaller then the 1.5 lt. bottles

so likely 3/4 or 1 lt. and poured it down. Back on the bike and by the

next station I was a less woozy but my mouth was still dry so I

stopped again and bought another two bottles drank one and stuck the

other in my pocket.

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg

drank about half of the remaining bottle by the time I arrived at the

house and other then the normal tired legs felt great.

Gatorade is about 6% carbohydrate, which is said to aid absorption,

plus some Sodium and Potassium, but based on the experience above I

feel that the cold water was absorbed about as fast as I could pour it

down.

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with

perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water

with or without salt?

Or...?

--

Cheers,

John B.

fill you bottles at home with green tea.

Carry sea salt or magnesium chloride in a little coin bag pinned into your pocket. 8-10g per quart/litre is the maximum I could tolerate over two days of only drinking salted water (and no food) IIRC so go for 1/2 or 1/4 this for regular use dosing bottles as you use them. Drink a whole bottle when your mouth dries. Wet a neckerchief and cap and take it easy.
Old August 8th 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 8/8/2013 12:36 PM, Gus wrote:
"sms" wrote in message

[...]

That was the first thought that popped into my mind. The second was
what about the electrolytes and other things that keep you from bonking?
Old August 8th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Thursday, 8 August 2013 17:36:28 UTC+1, Gus wrote:

[...]

a single or double espresso does not appear to have significance for me. Perhaps you mean something else.
Old August 8th 13, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Thursday, 8 August 2013 17:43:27 UTC+1, Dan O wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:51:12 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

What do others use for on bike hydration?

I carry two bottles of water.

Assuming, say 30 deg. C or higher temperatures...

Let's see... 9/5 + 32 = 86° F (?) - that's exactly what it was here

yesterday!

... and more then 3 hours

on the bike.

My commute is generally less than two hours (one way). If I was

going to be riding all day I'd still use plain water to keep

myself "hydrated", plus food for the blood chemistry.

that won't help those who have accepted their programming.

I've been drinking Gatorade but recently I got lost in N.E. Bangkok

and spent a couple of hours figuring out where I was and getting back

to terra cognita and finished both the bottles of Gatorade I had on

board. About 10 Km from home I realized that in addition to a burning

thirst I was also beginning to feel a bit hammered.

I carry one (1) Clif Mojo Bar (the kind with raisins in it) and one

(1) Powerbar in my bag. If I anticipate needing food along the way I

stick *another* Powerbar in my jersey pocket to get warm and soft.

(Plain raisins are an excellent source of potassium, and super

carbohydrate.)

Figs and dates are good pocket food and more to my palate.

Luckily every

petrol station here has some sort of 7-11 shop so I stopped and bought

a medium size bottle of cold water - smaller then the 1.5 lt. bottles

so likely 3/4 or 1 lt. and poured it down. Back on the bike and by the

next station I was a less woozy but my mouth was still dry so I

stopped again and bought another two bottles drank one and stuck the

other in my pocket.

It's a really, really bad feeling to be running out of water and not

sure where to get more. When it's hot outside, I'm already planning

my route to land at a watering hole and refill when I start out.

if you have a spring en route, pick up a couple of gallons.

From that point on I felt alert and in the remaining, probably 7 Kg

drank about half of the remaining bottle by the time I arrived at the

house and other then the normal tired legs felt great.

Gatorade is about 6% carbohydrate, which is said to aid absorption,

plus some Sodium and Potassium, but based on the experience above I

feel that the cold water was absorbed about as fast as I could pour it

down.

I don't understand the absorption thing (sounds like marketing hype).

yes. Although when not actually thirsty, one's stomach may empty faster due to the sugar there. Bicarbonate of soda is also useful to reduce acid and bring down heart rate which has been spiked through exercise.

What else can water do but be absorbed? I guess if you drink it too

fast it might slosh around in your gut for a while, but if you're

thirsty, drink.

Yes, when it's sloshing around, it's as well to avoid overfilling, it'll only end up on the road, out one end or the other.

So, my question is whether to carry more Gatorade? To carry water with

perhaps added salt? Or possibly a mix, say one Gatorade and one water

with or without salt?

Well, as I said, I like plain water. But something with sugar in it

can really hit the spot - especially nice and cold after hours of

drinking warm water.

It's staring me in the face, I've been drinking it the last two days at the computer, Instant Lemon Tea. Not ideal, but convenient, mixes cold, and tasty with sugar. Mine comes in a bag of 285g and will last probably three days total. Costs me about 80 UK pennies (that could be generous)
The package says 55g for 40floz, so that's 10 bidons. Hmm, seems too convenient, one bag between two for a day's riding.

The Powerbars are basically a bar of sugar, but fortified with other

stuff. The Mojo bar has sodium and potassium - not a huge amount, but

some.

I have found that if my diet has been inadequately balanced somehow,

plain water can seem to flush out what's left of something my body

needs, making me woozy.

Or...?

Hey! What about plain water bottles, a few energy / snack bars, and

a vial of that Gatorade powder for if you really need electrolytes

in liquid suspension.

My new energy drink Bret Wade[_2_] Racing 2 August 9th 08 07:29 AM
Drink! Tim Hall UK 10 July 15th 07 10:43 PM
Mr. Rogers, can I have a drink? gym.gravity Racing 0 July 15th 07 11:42 AM
Ice In your Drink, Sir? B. Lafferty Racing 0 August 27th 05 07:14 PM
Drink more beer. Joseph J Racing 22 July 27th 05 02:33 AM