Handlebar bottleholder, in-flight failure, fix

Old July 14th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Handlebar bottleholder, in-flight failure, fix

Folks,

In case someone else has this type of bottleholder. On a gnarly section
of trail my handlebar bottleholder disintegrated. Luckily it did not get
sucked into the front wheel spokes or I probably would be quite bruised.

It turns out that the lower and upper portion are not made from a single
piece of wire but are separate. The press-fit of the lower section let
go and off it went. So I made a bracket that prevents it from sliding out:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/bottleholder.JPG

The rubber is a snippet from an old road bike tube to prevent rattling
and also chafing of the rear brake hose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 14th 15, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/13/2015 6:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

In case someone else has this type of bottleholder. On a
gnarly section of trail my handlebar bottleholder
disintegrated. Luckily it did not get sucked into the front
wheel spokes or I probably would be quite bruised.

It turns out that the lower and upper portion are not made
from a single piece of wire but are separate. The press-fit
of the lower section let go and off it went. So I made a
bracket that prevents it from sliding out:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/bottleholder.JPG

The rubber is a snippet from an old road bike tube to
prevent rattling and also chafing of the rear brake hose.

The Ancients had that all worked out:

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe..._Bottles_3.jpg

In modernity we have lost their knowledge.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 14th 15, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 14/07/2015 8:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/13/2015 6:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

In case someone else has this type of bottleholder. On a
gnarly section of trail my handlebar bottleholder
disintegrated. Luckily it did not get sucked into the front
wheel spokes or I probably would be quite bruised.

It turns out that the lower and upper portion are not made
from a single piece of wire but are separate. The press-fit
of the lower section let go and off it went. So I made a
bracket that prevents it from sliding out:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/bottleholder.JPG

The rubber is a snippet from an old road bike tube to
prevent rattling and also chafing of the rear brake hose.

The Ancients had that all worked out:

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe..._Bottles_3.jpg

In modernity we have lost their knowledge.

There are still innovators:
http://tinyurl.com/ohsegn7
Old July 14th 15, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

hahahhahehhehehhwhuwhuwwhu...

there's a seperatorae on the Raleigh's downtube...there so long I forgot the mount was there.

I should paint it
Old July 14th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/13/2015 6:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

In case someone else has this type of bottleholder. On a
gnarly section of trail my handlebar bottleholder
disintegrated. Luckily it did not get sucked into the front
wheel spokes or I probably would be quite bruised.

It turns out that the lower and upper portion are not made
from a single piece of wire but are separate. The press-fit
of the lower section let go and off it went. So I made a
bracket that prevents it from sliding out:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/bottleholder.JPG

The rubber is a snippet from an old road bike tube to
prevent rattling and also chafing of the rear brake hose.

The Ancients had that all worked out:

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe..._Bottles_3.jpg

I could imagine the park ranger stopping me and wanting to know what's
in those bottles :-)

In modernity we have lost their knowledge.

But with that contraption one would not want to get into this kind of
situation and get all cut up by the hose clamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9_i9MEnMg

Old July 14th 15, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/14/2015 9:39 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Louison Bobet, Fiorenzo Magni, Gino Bartali et al seemed to
manage Coloral bottles and cages with grace while conquering
mountains on semi-paved roads.

random photo selection, nearly all with that setup:
http://images.devilfinder.com/go.php...+magni+bartali

note the road surfaces.

Old July 14th 15, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Perhaps they watched the road surface, unlike the guy in Joerg's video?

I've wondered why water bottles migrated from easy-to-reach handlebars
to down tubes and seat tubes, at least on racing bikes. Tourists and
utility riders often have handlebar bags, which is why I don't have my
bottles there. But I'd think bottles on bars would be to a racer's
advantage.

On our tandem, the stoker's bottle is attached to the handlebar.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yes we see, thanks and off course we watched the film.

if you have drum brakes then what ?

as said......everyone is moving at the same relative speeds ceptin' whatshisname...we guess the big move is one cork not 2
Old July 14th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gnaw....you gotta use one hand with the bottles on bar.....
Old July 14th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/14/2015 7:39 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2015-07-14 5:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I've been looking for a good cage for large bottles. I saw a review of
several models, many of which were junk. The good one was this one:
http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-15.

Not sold in the U.S., but I have to go to the UK soon so I may look for
one if I have time. Hopefully can do some bicycling there too. I've
ridden in a couple of countries where they drive on the "wrong" side of
the road.

--
"It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once
you've told them about a superior alternative your responsibility is