I would like to discuss 700-C high-pressure tires

Old July 27th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default I would like to discuss 700-C high-pressure tires

Tried the Michelin Pro 4s. They weigh about 200 grams and are rated at 116 lbs. maximum pressure. Cool tire with a great road feel, but pretty pricey and they tend to blow out suddenly if you hit any rocks with the sidewall. The tire is trashed if that happens. And since it is a folding tire, it can jump off the rim pretty easily when suddenly deflated. I've had two sudden blowouts with the Pro 4s while riding slowly, but it makes me paranoid that I might have one on a fast descent.

I'm now using the CST Correre. It is also a slick with a dual tread compound. It weighs about 100 grams more per tire than the Pro 4, but only costs half as much and can be inflated to 130 lbs. They seem to have a more substantial sidewall than the Pro 4s. If my old electric pump will inflate the CSTs to about 120 PSI, I'm going to check out their road feel and see if they seem significantly slower than the Pro 4s.

I would like to have your opinions about your most and least-favorite high-pressure 700-Cs. Thanks!

Old July 27th 15, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-07-27 11:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

Gatorskin wire bead tires, plus super-thick tubes of about 0.120" wall
thickness all around (all around is the important part), running at
100-110psi. Yeah, it's a heavy set-up but no more flats. Plus it holds
the air so well that I have to pump in additional air only every two
months instead of every week. That's another major bonus to me, I can
just hop on and ride off.

A major downside: Gatorskins seem to run a bit small and it was a real
bear to get them on because I have almost flat Mavix rims.

Regarding retro, my road bike is from the early 80's, ye olde Reynolds
steel.

BTW, on my MTB I did the same except that has tubes of 0.160" thickness
plus tire liners plus old tube pieces over the liners. It's run at
55psi. Also no more flats.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 27th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/07/15 04:15, wrote:
[...]

I have been using Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tyres on the rear wheel
for a couple of years. I haven't had *any* blow outs. While living
near Melbourne I got about 1-2 punctures a year. Since I moved to
Brisbane it seems like I've had almost 1 per month. Twice recently from
tek screws. A few times from glass shards.

Not long after I started using Pro 4 tyres I got a puncture while riding
over Mt Dandenong, and it was from a side wall slash. The cut was about
8mm long. I sleeved it on the road side with a piece of business card.
The tread was not badly worn, so at home I patched the inside with a
piece of non-stretch fabric, and had no problem with the tyre until the
tread had worn out some months later.

I have to use quite a bit of effort to get the tyres on and off my rims
if I don't use tyre levers, so I would be surprised if they would just
fall off in the event of a blow out.

I use a 25mm Pro 4 on the rear and rarely put more than 90psi in it.
It's quite rideable with only 80 psi in it, though that is dependent on
rider weight. It actually measures 27mm wide once mounted and inflated.

I haven't worn out a front tyre for a long time, and still using a very
old Michelin Krylion tyre - an ancestor of the Pro 4. I may still have
1 or 2 unused in my stock.

I've cycled with fellows who swear by GP4000 tyres and others, but from
my casual observances they are likely to have as many punctures as me,
if not more - however that could be partly because of riding
differences. Most folks are amazed I could ride almost a whole year
between flats in Melbourne.

--
JS
Old July 27th 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I have forgotten the reason for your hi pressure tire experience.

Higher pressure are not synonymous with improved handling...there's a sweet spot for geometry road surface rider balance wheels spoke torque barometer temperature wind....ndhdye7-@!

https://www.google.com/#q=bike+messenger+tires

https://www.google.com/#q=panaracer+...ssenger+review

Old July 27th 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 3:03:00 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 28/07/15 04:15, wrote:
[...]

I found that the GP4000 were more subject to sidewall damage than the Pros (3/4s). I do like the 4Seasons -- but they are ridiculously expensive in the U.S. The Gatorskins are good -- and my go-to commuting tire, but they are too piggy for fast weekend riding, at least the 28mm.

The Michelin Pro tires are a great tire and a good deal when you can get them on sale, and they are frequently on sale. There may be a better price/benefit tire, but I don't know what it is.

Any tire that declares itself indestructible will be miserable to ride on. My worst tire was a mis-sized Michelin 50. I got five flats on one ride. I thought I was going to have to walk home.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 28th 15, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 28/07/15 04:15, wrote:
[...]

Michelin 50 were quite a long while ago. I was frustrated
with those wearing so fast that I bought a pair of Michelin
ZigZag. That was a self inflicted punishment, much like
Joerg's setup, and cured me of heavy dead feeling tires
forever. The occasional flat on snappy corner hugging tires
is IMHO a better choice than perpetual suffering with heavy
tires. I sold that bike the next spring to pay for a real
race bike with tubs and never looked back. YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 28th 15, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 28/07/15 04:15, wrote:
[...]

Don't you find the Michelins a bitch to get on and off?

--
duane
Old July 28th 15, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Any tire that declares itself indestructible will be miserable to ride on

OP wants pressure...the T's and their lesser cousins deliver.

Less responsive, off course but no flats.

I see Tires/Bikes Direct pans Schwalbe for overweightness

The OP would best move toward a responsive urban touring tire from Conti with a nice round carcass n see if they blow on him

Yawl doin it again climbing the mtns ...
Old July 28th 15, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I bought a pair of Michelin
ZigZag.

NO !

http://zigzag.com/

zee french sacre blue !

zigzag tires...oh I see the....these here tires slalom or better gymkhana whatever that was....
Old July 28th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/07/15 04:15, wrote:
[...]

Certainly not easy with my rims & rim tape, which makes me wonder about
the OP's set up when he says they might just fall off after a blow out.
Normally I can *just* get them off and on without tyre levers or
hurting my hands, but if it was cold or I was very tired, I would resort
to tyre levers.

That said, I have watched people have more difficulty with other tyre
brands while repairing a flat out on the road. Rim and rim tape
combinations affect tyre removal and fitting.

--
JS