Shimano XT FC-M739 Cracks

Old July 28th 15, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson[_2_]

Default Shimano XT FC-M739 Cracks

Following a discussion on another forum, I thought I'd post pictures of some interesting cracks in a Shimano XT M739 crank.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324929

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324928

The cranks are from the late nineties, square taper, and use a separate spider.

Any thoughts?

James Thomson
Old July 28th 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/28/2015 2:26 AM, James Thomson wrote:
Following a discussion on another forum, I thought I'd post pictures of some interesting cracks in a Shimano XT M739 crank.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324929

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324928

The cranks are from the late nineties, square taper, and use a separate spider.

Any thoughts?

James Thomson

I wonder if those were present from the day it was born - IOW, that the
metal flow was incomplete when the part was forged.

The cracks don't seem to originate at stress risers. And the voids in
the first photo seem hard to explain any other way.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/07/15 00:40, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/28/2015 2:26 AM, James Thomson wrote:
Following a discussion on another forum, I thought I'd post pictures
of some interesting cracks in a Shimano XT M739 crank.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324929

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/dow....php?id=324928

The cranks are from the late nineties, square taper, and use a
separate spider.

Any thoughts?

James Thomson

I wonder if those were present from the day it was born - IOW, that the
metal flow was incomplete when the part was forged.

The cracks don't seem to originate at stress risers. And the voids in
the first photo seem hard to explain any other way.

My thoughts too.

--
JS

RIVENUT and other cracks datakoll Techniques 34 September 26th 13 04:57 AM
Looking for Shimano XT M739 outer chainring rothko67 Techniques 2 July 27th 08 10:46 PM
Cracks?! John Thompson Techniques 24 January 19th 06 06:11 AM
Home Boy Cracks Top Ten!!! Joe Go Racing 1 November 6th 05 07:24 AM
Page Cracks The Top 10 Guillaume Godet Racing 23 October 5th 05 05:25 AM