Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

Old May 5th 16, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes? (Feedback)

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

After some rides with a new HG-81 cassette and a new KMC X.93-10 it
seems that the shifting is not quite as fast as with HG-62. Also
noisier. But this I won't fuss about. Weeds do not shred away through
the inside quickly enough, resulting in the occasional chain skip.
Probably because of the big aluminum spider. Oh well, a brief stop and a
Swiss army knife fixes that.

HG-62 is tough to buy in 36T, only a shop in England had one in stock in
mid-April. 34T on a 29" MTB I didn't want to do, getting older ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

use some Valvo trans lube break the rig in...

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cassettes-C...36&by=Category

somebody break your leg ? 14-32 .....
Old May 5th 16, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

It's broken in alright by now.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cassettes-C...36&by=Category

Jenson is where I bought the cassette.

somebody break your leg ? 14-32 .....

32T on a 29" MTB in this area is no fun at all. I ride with a low
cadence where some riders call me Mr.Diesel-legs but there were hills on
yesterday's ride I could not have gone up without 36T.

Old May 6th 16, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

Can't you just walk into a bicycle shop and buy a 11-36 cassette? I'm
running a 12-36 (home made smallest cog) and that is what I did.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 6th 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/5/2016 10:05 PM, John B. wrote:

Can't you just walk into a bicycle shop and buy a 11-36 cassette? I'm
running a 12-36 (home made smallest cog) and that is what I did.

I'm curious about the details of the home made 12 tooth cog.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 6th 16, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

what speed does that low cadence yield ?
Old May 6th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

He could wait a bit and buy SRAM's new Eagle set with a 12 cogs cassette with cogs from 10 teeth to FIFTY teeth!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...for-mtb_399614

"SRAM's new XX1 Eagle drivetrain goes big with a 10-50, 12-speed rear cassette and redesigned chain, rear derailleur, crank, and chainring."

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...KLKyBiiETgL.99

Cheers
Old May 6th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

were you burning trash again ?

"SRAM's new XX1 Eagle drivetrain goes big with a 10-50, 12-speed rear cassette and redesigned chain, rear derailleur, crank, and chainring."

https://goo.gl/kwqxJD

50 teeth...this is connected to fat tireds right ?

5 years ago the barb was yo kncklhead get off n walk

Old May 6th 16, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 5 May 2016 22:24:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/5/2016 10:05 PM, John B. wrote:

Can't you just walk into a bicycle shop and buy a 11-36 cassette? I'm
running a 12-36 (home made smallest cog) and that is what I did.

I'm curious about the details of the home made 12 tooth cog.

I save old things :-)

It was the second cog from a 11 - something 9 speed cassette. The
first (11 tooth) and second (12 tooth) cogs had a shoulder that
replaced the spacer used between the other cogs and they both have a
slight recess on the outside. I built up a "new" cassette out of loose
cogs and spacers and used the 12 tooth cog as the last one in the
stack. Screwed down the nut and it has been running without problems
for a year or more using 9 speed STI shifters.

But of course, Shimano does make 12 -? cassettes so if one were
starting from scratch it would be the easiest way to go.

I've been "building" cassettes for some time now. Mainly to get a
range of gear rations for some specific purpose. In Bangkok, for
example, I find that a 60 inch gear for the center cog in a 9 speed
cassette with a one tooth difference on the next higher and next lower
sprockets to be ideal for me as for the majority of my rides, in
Bangkok, the 60" gear is perfect and with one tooth higher and lower
for windy days I rarely shift gears.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 6th 16, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

[...]

But if you go for a SRAM cassette do you have to use a SRAM derailer
and shifter?

On a 26" wheel, depending on tire size, with a 44 tooth chain ring
that could be a 116" to 23" range and with 11 gears. Which is a wider
range than I get with a triple chain ring :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 6th 16, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/5/2016 9:24 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/5/2016 10:05 PM, John B. wrote:

Can't you just walk into a bicycle shop and buy a 11-36
cassette? I'm
running a 12-36 (home made smallest cog) and that is what
I did.

I'm curious about the details of the home made 12 tooth cog.

I think he meant swapping a 12t from a different cassette
rather than cutting one tooth off a 13t sprocket!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

CS-HG50-9 Squat'n Dive Techniques 9 August 22nd 08 03:30 AM
Campy cassettes - any difference? Olebiker Techniques 3 February 11th 06 10:57 AM
170's to 150's = not much difference - 150's to 127's = whoa!...big difference! babyivan Unicycling 11 November 15th 05 07:27 PM
Quality difference between HG50 and HG70 shimano cassettes davy Techniques 5 August 11th 05 08:46 PM
Wanted 9 sp cassettes Bman Marketplace 2 September 22nd 04 01:24 AM