Getting into and out of streamliner recumbents

Old April 24th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Getting into and out of streamliner recumbents

On 2017-04-22 13:07,
On 2017-04-22 12:21,
On 2017-04-21 07:39,
wrote:

[...]

I'm an embedded system designer and programmer. They have
a LOT of people that claim to be such but hardly anyone
that actually knows what they are doing. But they make up
for it by using 10 times the power to do the same work I
would. That is why there are so many people around today
that appear to be successful.

Embedded is tough as well because to be truly successful
one has to be a good generalist. Similar to us analog guys.
For one job I had to learn and really understand hwo
turbofan jet engines work. Somehow we didn't have that at
the university ...

I'm not sure with my screwed up memory but I think that I
designed the digital switching mechanism for the belt pack
and several other things for Clearcom. Charlie could design
analog circuits with the correct feedback etc. in his head an
simply draw it down for a technician to build and test. I
would have to pull out the calculator and work everything out
from gains to feedback. And even then Charlie could just
glance at it and give me advice. That guy is close to 80 and
going stronger than ever.

Hopefully he allows himself enough downtime for other
activities. I have slowed down on purpose and my dream would be
if clients only give me the tough stuff. Designs where others
threw in the towel. Much of my work is now like that and this
has provided me with more free time. I use that for fun
activities such as MTB and road bike riding or beer brewing.

Sometimes I ride out there on the MTB until way in the boonies.
No traffic sounds whatsoever except maybe the occasional
aircraft, birds chirping, horses whinnying in the distance,
zero bars on the cell phone. Then I sit down on a rock, pull
the pad out of a pannier and start designing the tough stuff.
My outdoor office.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Charlie's idea of "downtime" is to get a consulting gig on
another project.

That's usually not good for the health. I do that kind of job
since decades and even in the olden days when computers didn't do
everything I sat at the lab bench all day long. Nowadays some of
the fun is out because nearly all my circuitry is designed on the
computer simulator. A very sedentary task so sometimes I force
myself to stop the clock, do some exercise, yard work, a bike ride,
whatever.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If it's going to be bad for Charley's health it better get a move on
it. If he gets any older he'll be a mummy.

Some folks are lucky to have a great genetic disposition. Most don't.