Well, at least we haven't had landslides or cougar encounters

Old April 27th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Well, at least we haven't had landslides or cougar encounters

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 06:56:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:48:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:24:13 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

As Spring unfolds in Ottawa, it is getting in the way of my riding in spots.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/NCCflooding

Water is not a problem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+bicycle&tbm=isch

This looks like a quick and easy bolt on solution:
http://inhabitat.com/transportation-tuesday-the-diy-floating-water-bike/

Much of the Ottawa River around here is white water aggravated by spring run-
off. You would not get me out on one of those, save on those stretches of the
Rideau that are part of the canal system, and the Ottawa below Parliament Hill.

Perhaps if your bicycle had freeboard to handle the waves?
https://rlv.zcache.com/water_bicycle_cycle_cycling_on_water_vintage_art_p ostcard-rffb59aed385b47e7ba4df21a68f9d29a_vgbaq_8byvr_630. jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 27th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 10:07:15 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 27/04/2017 9:57 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:27:12 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 10:27:24 AM UTC-4, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
As Spring unfolds in Ottawa, it is getting in the way of my riding in spots.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/NCCflooding

This happened across the river from Lebreton Flats:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...iver-1.4086477.
--

Too bad. The video is taken with the camera pointed pretty close to the
fronttire but the person says it's a downhill where you can hit 40 KPH (25

Wildlife is more likely than another cyclist. Another cyclist would have heard
the crash or splash and would have stopped to investigate, I would think.

Or a car coming from the other direction and taking the turn too wide.

Maybe he just lost it at that turn. If he didn't know what to expect he
may have gone too wide and caught the edge of the road.

It is a multi-use path, so no cars. It is quite well laid out, for the most
part. I ride it, but usually eastbound.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old April 27th 17, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

As Spring unfolds in Ottawa, it is getting in the way of my riding in spots.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/NCCflooding

Water is not a problem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+bicycle&tbm=isch

This looks like a quick and easy bolt on solution:
http://inhabitat.com/transportation-tuesday-the-diy-floating-water-bike/

Much of the Ottawa River around here is white water aggravated by spring run-
off. You would not get me out on one of those, save on those stretches of the
Rideau that are part of the canal system, and the Ottawa below Parliament Hill.

This route can be viewed from high up on one of our local MTB trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1GPjGKf1o

Lots of boaters have died in the American River.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 27th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 27/04/2017 11:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

Ah. I guess I saw the paramedics and assumed it was a road. I haven't
been to that exact place but my bike club has a weekend trip in
Gatineau, usually the St. John Baptiste weekend. We ride there and back
for the weekend and on the Saturday do Gatineau park. In the park there
are some turns that you have to be careful with but it's mostly due to
the cars.

Old April 27th 17, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

As Spring unfolds in Ottawa, it is getting in the way of my riding in spots.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/NCCflooding

Water is not a problem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+bicycle&tbm=isch

This looks like a quick and easy bolt on solution:
http://inhabitat.com/transportation-tuesday-the-diy-floating-water-bike/

Much of the Ottawa River around here is white water aggravated by spring run-
off. You would not get me out on one of those, save on those stretches of the
Rideau that are part of the canal system, and the Ottawa below Parliament Hill.

This route can be viewed from high up on one of our local MTB trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1GPjGKf1o

Lots of boaters have died in the American River.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Those guys were taking one hell of a chance getting that close to flooded trees aka in white water paddling circles as "Strainers" also know as death traps. You broach against one of those and flip with the opening upstream and you'll never get out with that force of water pushing against you. Getting caught by a tree strainer is a good way to die by drowning.

Cheers
Old April 27th 17, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:14:08 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

This route can be viewed from high up on one of our local MTB trails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1GPjGKf1o
Lots of boaters have died in the American River.

Yes, but no bicyclists have died in the American River, which suggests
that cycling is safer than boating.

Old April 27th 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

There were two recent deaths on that part of the river due to foot
entrapment. Must be terrible being underwater and not able to free yourself.

Another serious danger is that there may be big rocks and stuff now
submerged because of the high water level and the "rolling boil" can
smack you onto one of those.

I have kayaked on it but only at a normal water level and not in any
risky rapids. Somehow kayaking whitewater isn't my thing anymore. When I
was young and invincible in my early 20's that was different. Sometimes
I still relive one episode in my dreams and wake up. Back then I thought
it was nothing.

Nobody wanted to pilot the beer kayak so I raised my hand. "Are you
experienced enough?" ... "Yeah! Sure!" (I wasn't). It was a two-seater
with lots of sixpacks stashed up front. A large plastic bag and a series
connection of pickling glass rubber bands were supposed to seal off the
front seat area. Were the sixpacks strapped down? Nah, of course not.
You had to kind of hold them up front with your feet. After having
negotiated some tough stuff I thought, hey, this is easy, got a little
careless and whoops ... OH S..T! Upside down, saw a couple of big
boulders fly by underwater, finally could roll it back up. Needless to
say, all that sans helmets.

Then I did a really stupid thing. Most of the sixpacks had gone into the
river and I wasn't going to give up on those. So I parked the kayak
after dumping out the water, ran up the hill, swam out into the
whitewater, dove around, repeat. All the while lots of other kayakers
where zipping by me left and right. Surprisingly I am still here :-)

Old April 27th 17, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

This route can be viewed from high up on one of our local MTB trails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1GPjGKf1o
Lots of boaters have died in the American River.

Yes, but no bicyclists have died in the American River, which suggests
that cycling is safer than boating.

It probably is around here. Although I did see one downhill turn on the
singletrack up the hill where there were long scrape marks, paint
residue on rocks, pieces of a helmet and then more scrape marks over a
rocky embankment towards the river. That rider didn't go in the drink
but must have been hurt. Hopefully not worse. On the west side of Salmon
Falls Bridge MTB riders have died. There are some nasty cliffs. At the
worst there is a sign to walk the bike but I still see people riding it.

Then there's bullets.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/eldo...trail/99344281

Old April 27th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 11:18:23 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 27/04/2017 11:12 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
[...]

It looks as if Louis DeschĂȘnes was on his way to work at Place de Portage and would have been eastbound from Aylmer. It is, therefore, a bit of a puzzler, as the approach to that curve is not that challenging. I think this is the location of the incident:
.
Old April 28th 17, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 27/04/2017 4:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

Especially if he was on his commute. You would assume he was familiar
with the route.