Dead Tired

Old May 2nd 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dead Tired

I did a ride today in the heat. It was 34 miles and 2200 feet of climbing most of which was above 5% and perhaps a quarter of it was above 9%. I had intended on riding through a closed road. On the way up the 9,10,11 and then 12% section that is a mile long I had to stop three times to clean my eyes and forehead of sweat. I had to stop another 5 times to allow my heart rate to come down to the point where I couldn't hear it above the pedaling.

Finally over the top and 5 miles down and hit a roadblock with NO BIKES OR PEDESTRIANS sign. I laid the bike down and walked perhaps 20 yards down the road where I could see if they were working on the road.

saw a bolder half the size of a car come rolling down the side of the cliff which they were reducing the grade of. That convinced me that they were seriously working on the road. In California it's hard to tell. Moonbeam Brown,the governor has passed increased road taxes and licensing fees a couple of times in the last 5 years to "repair the roads." Instead all of it went to increased benefits for government workers and more subsidies for illegal aliens.

So now he just boosted the gas tax another 50% and who knows what became of licensing in order to "fix the roads".

Anyway, I turned around and went back up 600 ft. At least the steep part of this side was from the roadblock down. So most of it was only 5% to 8%. That canyon was an absolute oven and presently I am well done on a cooking thermometer.

The sharp descent on the other side had to be taken careful because the dirt haulers have spilled dirt in many spots and coming on a pile of dirt at 25 mph isn't the most fun to have.

There is a north creek and a south creek and they were both running hard. This means that the local water table is filled to capacity since it hasn't really rained in three weeks and all the side washes are totally dry.

Coming back into town the donut shop was still open so I went in almost in a coma from water loss. I had a couple of old fashion donuts and a large glass of ice water. While I recovered slightly the 6 miles home wasn't all that much fun.

I must be terrible getting old and not being able to have all this fun.

On TV this morning after hearing about three years of drought and how it was the cause of huge forest fires, this morning they changed their tune. It seems that all of the growth that was caused by the rain is going to offer California a chance to terrible ground fires. The media has turned into nothing but stand up comedians.
Old May 3rd 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Did the Starke's Grade ride east of Placerville, to Pollock Pines, yesterday. The good news is that there is a washout on Starke's about a half mile past Campini Road, and that you can traverse it easily while walking your bike. Here's the GoogleEarth location file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i932ys1beu...shout.kmz?dl=0

So there are virtually no cars on Starke's due to the washout.

There is no bad news.
Old May 3rd 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Looks like fun. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Place...e0?hl=en&hl=en
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old May 3rd 17, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-03 09:31, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:48:30 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Did the Starke's Grade ride east of Placerville, to Pollock Pines, yesterday. The good news is that there is a washout on Starke's about a half mile past Campini Road, and that you can traverse it easily while walking your bike. Here's the GoogleEarth location file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i932ys1beu...shout.kmz?dl=0

So there are virtually no cars on Starke's due to the washout.

There is no bad news.

Looks like fun. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Place...e0?hl=en&hl=en

But Newton Road isn't what I'd consider fun. Especially since so many
folks in Placerville now openly consume pot.

Gimmee singletrack and I'm happy. Once I have my MTB fixed I'll ride to
Placerville but it's all on dirt.

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/otbp...edium.jpg.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 3rd 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joerg wrote: "But Newton Road isn't what I'd consider fun."

Right Joerg. I go out Pleasant Valley Road instead, bypassing the main road at the big climb past Diamond Springs by taking Zandonella Rd.
Old May 3rd 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i932ys1beu...hout..kmz?dl=0

So there are virtually no cars on Starke's due to the washout.

There is no bad news.

Looks like fun. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Place...e0?hl=en&hl=en

But Newton Road isn't what I'd consider fun. Especially since so many
folks in Placerville now openly consume pot.

Gimmee singletrack and I'm happy. Once I have my MTB fixed I'll ride to
Placerville but it's all on dirt.

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/otbp...edium.jpg.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Why the dust mask?
Old May 4th 17, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 3:45:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Joerg wrote: "But Newton Road isn't what I'd consider fun."

Right Joerg. I go out Pleasant Valley Road instead, bypassing the main road at the big climb past Diamond Springs by taking Zandonella Rd.

Your geography is significantly more vertical than ours in the Ottawa Valley, even taking the Québec side into consideration.
Old May 4th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-03 09:31, wrote:
[...]

I don't know, probably an allergy sufferer. I never use dust masks.
However, it is prudent not to ride this close together. The dust kicked
up by the rider in front in this area often contains natural asbestos
and sometimes fungus that can trigger the nasty valley fever. Aside from
the coughing it causes.

Old May 4th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Your geography is significantly more vertical than ours in the Ottawa Valley, even taking the Québec side into consideration.
--
Andrew Chaplin

Yes, the climbs that don't kill you will make you stronger.

Are you tired of being tried ? Choppy Warburton Racing 0 January 26th 11 09:10 PM
I'm so tired of it all... Crescentius Vespasianus Racing 10 September 16th 09 02:12 AM
Lance - I'm tired, we're all tired... Nobody Racing 12 June 7th 09 03:27 AM
Dead Tired skilewis74 Unicycling 1 July 14th 06 11:19 AM
I'm tired of RBR Callistus Valerius Racing 11 March 14th 05 10:08 PM