Wheel Cam Lock On Grandson's Bike; Getting Tire Past Brake Pads ?

Old May 15th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wheel Cam Lock On Grandson's Bike; Getting Tire Past Brake Pads ?

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:53:49 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I have yet to have to let air out of any of my bicycle tires in order to get it back on the bicycle. The quick release at the brake caliper or on the brake lever allows the fully inflated tire to go past the brake shoes.

Showing that you have junk bikes.
Old May 15th 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:21:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:53:49 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I have yet to have to let air out of any of my bicycle tires in order to get it back on the bicycle. The quick release at the brake caliper or on the brake lever allows the fully inflated tire to go past the brake shoes.

Showing that you have junk bikes.

Happy trolling Tom.

FYI my bicycles are all high quality ones.

Cheers
Old May 16th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 1:30:09 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:21:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 9:53:49 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I have yet to have to let air out of any of my bicycle tires in order to get it back on the bicycle. The quick release at the brake caliper or on the brake lever allows the fully inflated tire to go past the brake shoes..

Showing that you have junk bikes.

Happy trolling Tom.

FYI my bicycles are all high quality ones.

In your case I would assume that they are not sports bikes using 23mm tires.. Most of these have geometry that doesn't let the brakes open wide enough to insert a fully inflated tire without forcing.

If you have touring bikes or commuters or such there is a large difference. Some of these have the same problem because they use much wider tires. but even on my Ridley XBow cross bike you can't get a 32 mm knobby between the brake shoes without a bit of forcing. Presently down in my garage I have 9 bikes in three different sizes and two different types and every one of them have exactly the same problem.

How is it that you don't have these problems?
Old May 16th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 7:35:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Discs. IME, with caliper brakes on a racing bike, any tire that requires deflation to clear my brake shoes is probably too tall to clear the bottom of the caliper. On my SuperSix, GrandPrix/ProRace 25s are probably as big as I can go, and they clear the fully-opened brake shoes without deflation. I've never owned any bike that required me to deflate a 23mm tire. That would be a defect, IMO.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 17th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:11:08 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I just had a strange flat yesterday - flat tire when I came out. Pulled out innertube and inflated it greatly. Couldn't find a leak so placed it in water. No leak. Reinstalled it and pumped it up and it leaked so fast I discovered a large hole in the Gatorskin.

Removed wheel again and installed new Michelin Pro4 Endurance on both wheels. They both were tight when reinstalled with only enough air to hold shape..

FYI - the Michelin's feel like they have a great deal lower rolling resistance than the Gatorskins. Only did 19 miles but half of it was into a 20 mph wind.