editorial opinion, steel frames

Old May 22nd 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default editorial opinion, steel frames

Here you go, Tom:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...e-steel-bikes/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 22nd 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 5:29:11 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Here you go, Tom:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...e-steel-bikes/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Their custom steel frames are dialed in to the Nth degree! My OTC Cannondale is only dialed in to the Mth degree. I did change the stem though, so it is approaching the Nth degree. I lowered the saddle a little yesterday, too, so it is even closer.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 22nd 17, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I've owned my Paramount since 1988, and it's dialed in to the Nth degree. I did it not by changing components or adjusting anything, but instead by having my body conform to the bike over the last 28 years.

I don't care what steel tubes you choose, though, I think CF has more compliance and is going to give you a more comfortable ride.
Old May 22nd 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:14:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I've owned my Paramount since 1988, and it's dialed in to the Nth degree. I did it not by changing components or adjusting anything, but instead by having my body conform to the bike over the last 28 years.

I don't care what steel tubes you choose, though, I think CF has more compliance and is going to give you a more comfortable ride.

If you believe that then get a CF frame and be prepared to be astonished.
Old May 22nd 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

According to the cycling press over the past
30~40 years, steel frames are flexible, yet
rigid. Carbon frames are rigid, yet flexible.

Ha ha

What about "aluminum" frames as the material is
spelled in the US and Canada?

As for the cycling press, I've read the Swedish
edition of Bicycling the last 1-2 years.
That magazine is very predictable. There is
always tons of equipment you should buy, like
bags, bottles, clothing ...

The bike reviews are interesting, but even more
predictable. They could actually drop the
"article form" and instead make the reviews in
tabular form. Bike type: comfort MTB. Frame:
hardtail aluminium with unaggressive geometry.
Fork: CF with 100 mm suspension travel. Etc.
etc. The only thing they never mention is the
spoke layouts, tho they always mention who made
the wheels, what tire dimensions it has, and
sometimes even the patters of the tires.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 22nd 17, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/22/2017 1:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

[...]

A quick perusal of aluminum frame test rides will show that
aluminum is no good because it's 'noodly' and also because
it's 'too harsh', except for advertised models which are
both rigid and flexible.

Old May 22nd 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 2:01:27 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

According to the cycling press over the past
30~40 years, steel frames are flexible, yet
rigid. Carbon frames are rigid, yet flexible.

A quick perusal of aluminum frame test rides will show that
aluminum is no good because it's 'noodly' and also because
it's 'too harsh', except for advertised models which are
both rigid and flexible.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I was just about to ask about aluminum frames. They seem to be the forgotten step child now days. I remember back in the 1980s when Cannondale came out with their big tubes, and Klein too, aluminum was the greatest material on earth. Glad to hear aluminum frames are both rigid and flexible just like all the other extra superior frame materials. You did not mention titanium. But I'll assume its also rigid and flexible and superior to everything too.

Personally, I own steel, titanium, aluminum, and carbon frames. They all ride fine. I cannot tell which one I am on unless I look. But I am very insensitive. Probably from years of riding Brooks and Ideale saddles. My arse is as tough as my Brooks Team Pro saddles with the hand hammered copper rivets.
Old May 22nd 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

"
writes:

I was just about to ask about aluminum frames.
They seem to be the forgotten step child now days.
I remember back in the 1980s when Cannondale came
out with their big tubes, and Klein too, aluminum
was the greatest material on earth. Glad to hear
aluminum frames are both rigid and flexible just
like all the other extra superior frame materials.
You did not mention titanium. But I'll assume its
also rigid and flexible and superior to
everything too.

Wait, I know!

Titanium is more expensive and lighter, tho more
fragile, so more material to compensate will nullify
the weight advantage, while costing even more.

But the best quality of titanium is that is has
a magic appeal.

I don't think I've seen a titanium frame or any other
item (?) for that matter. Is it bluish with
a phosphorus blaze to it?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Steel frames and le Tour [email protected] Racing 611 August 29th 08 08:42 AM
Steel frames and le Tour [email protected] Techniques 730 August 29th 08 08:42 AM
BB on steel frames PJay Techniques 8 November 1st 05 03:16 AM
Steel Road frames firewolf65 General 8 April 12th 05 03:59 PM
Good Steel Frames danimal Off Road 2 May 29th 04 05:46 AM