Square taper BB questions

Old June 6th 17, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Square taper BB questions

On 2017-06-06 15:00, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/6/2017 4:17 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 12:47:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:
:On 2017-06-06 09:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
: On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:58:18 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
: On 2017-06-06 07:11,
wrote:
: On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 5:09:56 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
: On 2017-06-05 16:37,
wrote:
: On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 3:21:42 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
: On 2017-06-05 14:31,
wrote:
: On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 7:17:18 AM UTC-7, Joerg
: wrote:
: On 2017-05-25 15:29, Joerg wrote:
: Got a knackered Shimano 600 BB, this kind:
:
: D-3L 68 = W = 116
:
: It is 116mm long in the spindle and symmetrical. The
: usual left-hand thread on the drive side. Last time
: I changed it out was in the 90's and the bike wasn't
: ridden until recently. Now you can't get these
: anymore. So I looked around and found UN55. Only
: 115mm long but that shouldn't matter. However, I also
: found that there are two kinds of square taper, JIS
: and ISO. I have Shimano 600EX cranks from 1982. Are
: those compatible with UN55 in the taper? IOW can UN55
: be used to replace old Shimano 600EX BBs?
:
: If tapers are mixed that can mess up the chain line:
:
:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html
:
: There is also the UN26 but that has a plastic cap
: and some people wrote that the wrench insert for BB
: cups won't fit in the plasstic pat so I am not sure I
: could tighten that with my tool set.
:
:
: Some feedback: UN55 is JIS, it all fit well, no spacer
: needed. Did a 20mi test round yesterday, with brew pub
: visit, of course.
:
: What I did not like about the UN55 are that the
: included screws (must use, because shorter) have the
: washers welded to the heads and thus they scrape on the
: aluminum of the cranks when tightening. So I greased
: that up. Then the non-drive side cup is aluminum which
: doesn't instill high confidence. Ok, better than
: plastic, I assume. Let's see how long that will last.
:
: In my experience I haven't had any problems. Though I'm
: going to have to look at my triple pretty quick to see
: what the sound is coming when I crank. But this is
: Campagnolo and they didn't seem to have any problems with
: plastic non-drive side.
:
:
: Do that. I should have taken a look much earlier but kept
: on riding another 1000mi with noises. When I took it apart
: the drive side cup and CrMo spindle surface looked
: terrible. Totally shot. I remember a time in Belgium when I
: kept on riding despite horrid metal-screeching noises from
: down there. Another hill came, standing in the pedals ..
: ka-crunch .. the right side suddenly dropped 1/4" or so and
: the ride was over. In the middle of nowhere, per Murphy's
: Law.
:
: In my case with my defective hearing it could be the clip in
: pedal clip but it seems to only do it in one gear. Looking
: down at the front derailleur it doesn't appear to be close to
: touching and you can't see the chain moving back and forth as
: you'd expect if the BB was rocking but looking inside is the
: best bet.
:
:
: If by "one gear" you mean one of the chain rings maybe that
: chain ring has worked itself loose?
:
: -- Regards, Joerg
:
: http://www.analogconsultants.com/
:
: No, it's from one cog to the next. But it is also almost cross
: chained so one would think that it's dragging on the front
: derailleur but it's a different sound.
:
:
: Who knows, maybe the next cog causes the chain to exert enough
: sideways tug on the chain ring that it creaks in its moorings.
:
: Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises. I usually
: just let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets loose or
: something falls off. With this BB I think I let it go too far where
: other riders started to notice but that is fixed now.
:
: -- Regards, Joerg
:
: http://www.analogconsultants.com/
:
: IF you'd checked for where the noise c ame from when it first
: appearedthen you most likely wouldn't have trashedthe original bottom
: bracket (or needed a kludge fix on the headset. Basically in the pose
: this is a reply to you've admitted that you abuse your stuff by not
: maintaining it when something first starts that's niot right. I hope
: you don't use your automobile the same way - ie let it go until
: something breaks. That could be very bad if what breaks is the brakes
: - bicycle or car.
:

:Nonsense. The BB was at end of life no matter what. They do not last

Maintained, a separate ball and spindle BB will last pretty much
forever. Grease needs renewing, and grit needs removing.

No one uses those things anymore. And many people don't even know how
to assemble a ball and race BB. And they are much more likely to have
water leakage and rust problems than a sealed bearing unit.

Uh, (raises hand) no one?

I'm quite satisfied with my 1966 Campagnolo Record Pista crank & BB, a
gift from the original owner, which has served me well in daily use
through the miserable wet half of the year since 1994. YMMV and probably
does.

On some of my routes in summer I have to remain at a distance from my
riding buddy because else I'll cough my lungs out from the dust. Or I
ride up front and then he coughs. That stuff gets into everything and
the old Shimano 600 BB was definitely not service friendly. You had to
take the cranks off for a new grease pack which causes the aluminum in
the taper area of the aluminum cranks to wear off. 100 years ago cars
already had grease nipples making a lube a very quick and easy job.
Bicycles? Phhht, that'll never happen.

This time I couldn't find a 600 BB anymore and maybe that's just as
well, hoping the UN55 last a little longer or at least doesn't do the
gradual fail.

Old June 6th 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-06 15:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/6/2017 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises. I usually just
let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets loose or something
falls off.

Yow!

A long time ago at a parachuting place someone from the ground called
our pilot just after he took off with another load. "Hey, something just
fell off the aircraft" ... "I know, must have been the generator or
something".

Old June 7th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

: wrote:
[...]

That's amazing. I'd be repacking a NR bottom bracket every week around here. I still have one on my ancient Raleigh Pro track bike, but that stays indoors or on rare occasion outdoor on a dry track.

The good part about outboard bearings is that they are cheap and easy to replace. http://tinyurl.com/y7a375kb They even have arrows and torque specs right on them! I can replace my BB in half the time it takes to service an old NR BB.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 7th 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-06-05 16:37,
On 2017-06-05 14:31,
On 2017-05-25 15:29, Joerg wrote:
[...]

I like that. Ignore any indication of troubles and then bitch when it
breaks. Probably save a lot of effort.

Perhaps the airlines with their tremendous inspection and repair costs
could take some advise from you.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 7th 17, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

: wrote:
[...]

I bought what appears to be a top end Japanese bike that from
appearance was 40 to 50 years old. The BB was perfectly serviceable.
Additionally, the inside of the tubes, that were visible after the
bike was completely disassembled, were rust free :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 7th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 15:48:50 -0700, Joerg

: wrote:
[...]

Yup, a grease nipple on the bottom bracket makes perfect sense. Ever
figure out how many strokes of the grease gun it would take to fill
the frame?

Old June 7th 17, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 15:58:06 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-06 15:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/6/2017 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises. I usually just
let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets loose or something
falls off.

Yow!

A long time ago at a parachuting place someone from the ground called
our pilot just after he took off with another load. "Hey, something just
fell off the aircraft" ... "I know, must have been the generator or
something".

Strange though. People who take a bit more professional approach, like
the airlines, the Air Force as well as the Navy, Marine and Coast
Guard Air Arms, and even oil patch air charter companies, will make an
immediate landing if the Tower were to call and say "something fell
off".

I even remember an instance where the Air Crew evacuated the airplane
when the noticed a gear down warning light that was illuminated even
though during their pre-flight inspection they had observed that the
gear was down and locked.

There is an old saying that apparently dates back to wooden and cloth
airplanes, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there
are no old, bold, pilots".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 7th 17, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On some of my routes in summer I have to remain at a distance from my
riding buddy because else I'll cough my lungs out from the dust. Or I
ride up front and then he coughs. That stuff gets into everything and
the old Shimano 600 BB was definitely not service friendly. You had to
take the cranks off for a new grease pack which causes the aluminum in
the taper area of the aluminum cranks to wear off. 100 years ago cars
already had grease nipples making a lube a very quick and easy job.
Bicycles? Phhht, that'll never happen.

Yup, a grease nipple on the bottom bracket makes perfect sense. Ever
figure out how many strokes of the grease gun it would take to fill
the frame?

Ahem...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...tombracket.jpg

--
JS
Old June 7th 17, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On some of my routes in summer I have to remain at a distance from my
riding buddy because else I'll cough my lungs out from the dust. Or I
ride up front and then he coughs. That stuff gets into everything and
the old Shimano 600 BB was definitely not service friendly. You had to
take the cranks off for a new grease pack which causes the aluminum in
the taper area of the aluminum cranks to wear off. 100 years ago cars
already had grease nipples making a lube a very quick and easy job.
Bicycles? Phhht, that'll never happen.

Yup, a grease nipple on the bottom bracket makes perfect sense. Ever
figure out how many strokes of the grease gun it would take to fill
the frame?

Some were oiled.

http://www.velo-heaven.com/images/au...p-listing1.jpg

You can still buy a replacement oil cap!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Screw-in-...-/331363937071

--
JS
Old June 7th 17, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On some of my routes in summer I have to remain at a distance from my
riding buddy because else I'll cough my lungs out from the dust. Or I
ride up front and then he coughs. That stuff gets into everything and
the old Shimano 600 BB was definitely not service friendly. You had to
take the cranks off for a new grease pack which causes the aluminum in
the taper area of the aluminum cranks to wear off. 100 years ago cars
already had grease nipples making a lube a very quick and easy job.
Bicycles? Phhht, that'll never happen.

Yup, a grease nipple on the bottom bracket makes perfect sense. Ever
figure out how many strokes of the grease gun it would take to fill
the frame?

Here's one on a bike that could be about the same age as my father's.

http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanc...son/harrbb.jpg

--
JS

180 MM Crank (square taper) encoreman Marketplace 1 October 16th 09 04:39 PM
Square taper [email protected] Techniques 13 February 15th 07 08:00 PM
Ti square taper BB cliff Techniques 14 August 21st 05 11:02 PM
FS: NOS Square Taper BBs Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 February 17th 05 02:51 PM
Square Taper BBs NickZX6R Australia 12 March 24th 04 06:20 AM