Rear Axle position

Old June 7th 17, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Rear Axle position

On an older road bike with forward facing, horizontal rear dropouts is
there an optimal axle position. I assume in reference to the rear
derailer position.

I suspected that it might effect the shifting but trying various
positions seems to make no noticeable difference using a 9 speed
cassette and friction shifters.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 7th 17, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/7/2017 3:13 AM, John B. wrote:

On an older road bike with forward facing, horizontal rear dropouts is
there an optimal axle position. I assume in reference to the rear
derailer position.

I suspected that it might effect the shifting but trying various
positions seems to make no noticeable difference using a 9 speed
cassette and friction shifters.

Most modern rear changers have dual pivot springs so the
upper roller to sprocket distance stays relatively constant.

Older single pivot designs will shift very differently with
axle ahead or behind the top pivot, especially in extremis-
near the limits of chain length/gear size.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 9th 17, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Slo, what changes in handling ?
Old June 9th 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 1:13:10 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On an older road bike with forward facing, horizontal rear dropouts is
there an optimal axle position. I assume in reference to the rear
derailer position.

I suspected that it might effect the shifting but trying various
positions seems to make no noticeable difference using a 9 speed
cassette and friction shifters.

There's no difference in shifting with modern derailleurs and there is no detectable difference in handling since the wheelbase is only changeable by about 2 cm at the most.
Old June 9th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 11:31:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 1:13:10 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On an older road bike with forward facing, horizontal rear dropouts is
there an optimal axle position. I assume in reference to the rear
derailer position.

I suspected that it might effect the shifting but trying various
positions seems to make no noticeable difference using a 9 speed
cassette and friction shifters.

There's no difference in shifting with modern derailleurs and there is no detectable difference in handling since the wheelbase is only changeable by about 2 cm at the most.

If the jockey wheel is directly under the cog the shifting is a bit more positive.

Cheers
Old June 9th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:35:23 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 11:31:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 1:13:10 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On an older road bike with forward facing, horizontal rear dropouts is
there an optimal axle position. I assume in reference to the rear
derailer position.

I suspected that it might effect the shifting but trying various
positions seems to make no noticeable difference using a 9 speed
cassette and friction shifters.

There's no difference in shifting with modern derailleurs and there is no detectable difference in handling since the wheelbase is only changeable by about 2 cm at the most.

If the jockey wheel is directly under the cog the shifting is a bit more positive.

Cheers

I find that what happens is that the shift cable stretches a bit and the shifting becomes a little sticky. It you reset the centering it works well again.