my bike got ripped off.

Old November 18th 04, 02:58 AM
Scott Ehardt

Default my bike got ripped off.

"Ken [NY]" wrote in message
Police would say that if they were not given a serial number
for their report.
One tip here from a retired law enforcement officer - get an
engraving tool and scribe your drivers license number on the bike
where it can easily be seen. Reason for this - if a cop stops someone
even at 3 am with your bike, all they have to do is run the number on
their radio or computer, and bring the bike and the perp back to where
you live, probably before you are aware that it is stolen.

Hrm... when I had my bike stolen I did not have the serial number recorded
but I did have my license number engraved on it. The police said they were
unable to enter it into their database based on that.

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old November 18th 04, 10:54 PM
Scott Ehardt

"Ken [NY]" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:58:38 GMT, "Scott Ehardt"
claims:
Hrm... when I had my bike stolen I did not have the serial number recorded
but I did have my license number engraved on it. The police said they
were
unable to enter it into their database based on that.

In 34 years of work as a street cop and administrator, I have
never been unable to run a drivers license number when I wanted to.
Strange event there.

I'm not sure exactly, but they made it sound like there would have been a
much better chance of recovery if I had the serial number. Maybe the lost
bike database only takes serial numbers? If it makes any difference this is
Georgia Tech Campus Police I'm talking about. The bike was only stolen
about a year ago, so if you know of a way I can link my DL# to it that might
help me recover it, please let me know. Also, this is a Texas DL# on a bike
stolen in Atlanta...

Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old January 5th 05, 05:15 PM
Erik Frampton

"Ken [NY]" wrote in message

Oh, ok. College "police" are a completely different matter.
Good luck, and I hope you somehow get the bike returned.

Living on the University of Illinois campus for 3 1/2 years in
Champaign-Urbana, I've had a Fender guitar and 5 bikes stolen.

But why do you say campus police are different? Cock-eyed mentality,
janitors-with-a gun, what?

-Interface

Old January 5th 05, 08:03 PM
Mitch Haley

"Ken [NY]" wrote:
Campus police are not trained law enforcement professionals
who are trained in certified police academies, and do not have any
college education requirements. They are issued a gun, uniform and
told to go out there and keep the peace. Most are nothing more than
"square badgers" like K-Mart hires. Real police would be too
expensive.

That may vary as to location. For instance, starting pay at Michigan
State University is approx $35k, more than some small town chiefs
make around here. They are all state academy grads, and many have
bachelors degrees. Most are far more professional than local sheriff's
deputies. OTOH, I know of at least one MSU officer who was a total
idiot (and perjurer).
Old January 6th 05, 02:42 AM
Gary S.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:03:20 -0500, Mitch Haley
wrote:

"Ken [NY]" wrote:
Campus police are not trained law enforcement professionals
who are trained in certified police academies, and do not have any
college education requirements. They are issued a gun, uniform and
told to go out there and keep the peace. Most are nothing more than
"square badgers" like K-Mart hires. Real police would be too
expensive.

That may vary as to location. For instance, starting pay at Michigan
State University is approx $35k, more than some small town chiefs
make around here. They are all state academy grads, and many have
bachelors degrees. Most are far more professional than local sheriff's
deputies. OTOH, I know of at least one MSU officer who was a total
idiot (and perjurer).

In Massachusetts, the armed campus police at the various schools in
the area go through the state police training and are authorized as
"special police officers".

From the UMass/Boston campus police website:

"All police officers are sworn under chapter 75, section 32a of the
general laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. All police officers
have the same law enforcement authority as state or municipal police
officers and are trained at state certified municipal police training
academies".

Essentially the same training as town and city police officers
receive, with full jurisdiction on their campuses, and police powers
in areas of off-campus apartments.

Most schools have a second type of security officer, not armed, more
like what you describe.

This is true for various other campuses in the area.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old January 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Scott Ehardt

"Ken [NY]" wrote in message
Campus police are not trained law enforcement professionals
who are trained in certified police academies, and do not have any
college education requirements. They are issued a gun, uniform and
told to go out there and keep the peace. Most are nothing more than
"square badgers" like K-Mart hires. Real police would be too
expensive.

Cordially,
Ken (NY)

Can the college police you're talking about make traffic stops, arrests,
etc?

As far as I can tell, the Georgia Tech Police are not "square badgers"
http://www.police.gatech.edu/organization.htm

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old January 7th 05, 03:40 AM
Eric Vey

Living on the University of Illinois campus for 3 1/2 years in
Champaign-Urbana, I've had a Fender guitar and 5 bikes stolen.

I was aware of the theft problem when I went to the university, so I
bought a used Sears 3 speed with a very large basket. There was no
market for a bike like that, so theft was not a problem for me. Locked
up bikes were stolen from the same rack, yet mine was never touched even
when I forgot to lock it.
Old January 8th 05, 08:08 PM
Erik Interface Frampton

COPS tv featured bike-thief stings, made me think ... idea: Bike-Jack, like
a Lo-Jack for cars: directional beacon hidden on bike directs investigator
to stolen bike's whereabouts, thieves caught red handed.

-Erik Frampton