Time for a new chain?

Old June 15th 05, 01:18 AM

Default Time for a new chain?

Pat Lamb writes:

I agree and besides, don't try to use the method shown on some web
sites (finding the edge of a pin). Align an inch mark of a
yardstick with the center of a chain pin and glance at the inch
mark 12 inches away. The accuracy of this is easy to assess by
glancing back and forth between the reference pin and the one
downstream to see if the yard stick has moved. Eyeball centering
is good enough for this qualitative assessment. We aren't
interested in how many 0.001" too long the chain is, but rather
whether it is out of reasonable limits. Don't take the 1/16"
number as absolute. It is a reasonable number.

What may be less apparent is that chain elongation affects only
every second roller and therefore the effect is greater (2x) than
the percentage measured. Every pair of rollers in an inner link
remains at exactly 1/2" while the pins and sleeves wear to cause
interlink elongation.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by "elongation
affects only every second roller" and I'm still not sure if you're
right. I think you're ascribing all the wear to the pin/plate
junctions. Are you sure there's not significant wear going on at
the roller to inner plate swage junction?

The inner link side plate does not change length and both rollers wear
on its sleeves equally giving them more clearance but still at the
same spacing.

On Sheldon's chain page

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html)

the chain wear picture

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/chain_wornbush.gif

shows the swaged part has worn on the inside, which would
effectively increase that 1/2" pitch.

Both rollers do that so under load they are still 1/3 inch apart. In
contrast, chain tension lengthens the chain so that the distance
between pins grows with wear.

Old June 15th 05, 09:25 PM
Sheldon Brown

Pat Lamb wrote:

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by "elongation affects
only every second roller" and I'm still not sure if you're right.

He's right, but could have expressed himself more clearly. Elongation
doesn't affect the rollers, it affects _pairs_ of rollers.
Specifically, it's the roller pairs connected by outer plates.

I think you're ascribing all the wear to the pin/plate junctions.

That's the only part of the wear that affects the pitch of the chain.

Are you
sure there's not significant wear going on at the roller to inner plate
swage junction? On Sheldon's chain page
(http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html) the chain wear picture
(http://sheldonbrown.com/images/chain_wornbush.gif) shows the swaged
part has worn on the inside, which would effectively increase that 1/2"
pitch.

No, that wear happens to each roller, so it doesn't affect the distance
between them, i.e., the pitch.

Sheldon "Pitch Pictures" Brown
| There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. |
| But there is no evidence of any sort against it. |
| Soon enough you will know, so why fret about it? |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old June 27th 05, 09:16 PM

Jasper Janssen writes:

What may be less apparent is that chain elongation affects only
every second roller and therefore the effect is greater (2x) than
the percentage measured. Every pair of rollers in an inner link
remains at exactly 1/2" while the pins and sleeves wear to cause
interlink elongation.

Won't the interface roller/sleeve wear as well, so allowing the
roller to move about in all directions?

This is a logic problem. Give it some thought. The distance between
centers of rotation of a roller pair do not change. They are on the
same (chain) side plate and their wear is the same.

chain cleaning TomCAt General 54 September 16th 05 04:00 AM
Cervelo Soloist Team psycholist Techniques 26 September 5th 05 10:39 PM
L.A. Confidential Excerpt 'Dis Guy Racing 3 October 10th 04 05:31 AM
Forget about Eddie Merckx. He only won five Tour de France. Ronde Champ Racing 56 July 29th 04 02:15 AM
Yet another thread on chain cleaning asqui Techniques 25 August 1st 03 07:24 PM