Campag Rec Rear Der shifting 14T?

Old June 10th 05, 09:01 AM
colnalu

Default Campag Rec Rear Der shifting 14T?

Hi, I usually ride a 9sp 13-23T cassette but decided to try my old
Miche 9sp 14-23T yesterday.

While the 13-23 shifted cleanly everywhere, I get trouble with the
14-23. On the small (39T) ring it does not shift at all well between
the 15 and the (smallest) 14T. Cage spring adjustment has been tested
in a variety of positions. Housings, cables, rear derailleur, guide
under centre bracket, ergo, etc, all clean and crisp, gunk-free. Chain
and cassettes relatively new.

I do notice that there is not enough space between the top of the cage
and the 14T cog for a good shift, when going 39-14. On 53-14 there is
no problem.

I can alleviate this by taking out a link from the chain, which will
prevent the RD from swinging into the 14T, but then it looks a bit
"tight" when riding 53-21.

Yes I know all about cross-chaining etc and usually avoid it, but all
gears should be rideable, even if only for a short while.

Question: Have any of you riding Record/Chorus used a cassette starting
at 14T had this problem and how have you fixed it? TIA.

/Robert

Old June 10th 05, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

colnalu wrote:
Hi, I usually ride a 9sp 13-23T cassette but decided to try my old
Miche 9sp 14-23T yesterday.

While the 13-23 shifted cleanly everywhere, I get trouble with the
14-23. On the small (39T) ring it does not shift at all well between
the 15 and the (smallest) 14T. Cage spring adjustment has been tested
in a variety of positions. Housings, cables, rear derailleur, guide
under centre bracket, ergo, etc, all clean and crisp, gunk-free. Chain
and cassettes relatively new.

I do notice that there is not enough space between the top of the cage
and the 14T cog for a good shift, when going 39-14. On 53-14 there is
no problem.

I can alleviate this by taking out a link from the chain, which will
prevent the RD from swinging into the 14T, but then it looks a bit
"tight" when riding 53-21.

If you have enough chaion to go big-big w/o breaking anything, your
chain length is correct. I suspect your problem IS a chain that is too
long.

Old June 10th 05, 09:23 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old June 10th 05, 09:35 PM
colnalu

Booker C. Bense wrote:

In article .com,
colnalu wrote:
Hi, I usually ride a 9sp 13-23T cassette but decided to try my old
Miche 9sp 14-23T yesterday.

While the 13-23 shifted cleanly everywhere, I get trouble with the
14-23. On the small (39T) ring it does not shift at all well between
the 15 and the (smallest) 14T. Cage spring adjustment has been tested
in a variety of positions. Housings, cables, rear derailleur, guide
under centre bracket, ergo, etc, all clean and crisp, gunk-free. Chain
and cassettes relatively new.

I do notice that there is not enough space between the top of the cage
and the 14T cog for a good shift, when going 39-14. On 53-14 there is
no problem.

_ Generally, you fix things like this by using the "B tension" adjustment
screw. This is a good reference.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

On recent campy derailers, the screw is not in the obvious place
near the derailler hanger, but on the barrel that attaches the
cage to the rest of the derailer.

Thank you Booker. This is what I already said in my original posting,
that the cage spring adjustment has been tested ...
/Robert

Old June 10th 05, 09:43 PM
colnalu

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
colnalu wrote:
[...]

Yep, I was afraid that this was the only fix available, removing a
link. No problem as such, just that I don't like seeing the bottom
jockey wheel slightly forward of the upper one. But it works. Thanks
Peter. /Robert

Old June 27th 05, 07:05 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 10 Jun 2005 13:43:34 -0700, "colnalu" wrote:

Yep, I was afraid that this was the only fix available, removing a
link. No problem as such, just that I don't like seeing the bottom
jockey wheel slightly forward of the upper one. But it works. Thanks

When you're going big/big, the bottom jockey wheel should not only be
forward of the top one, it should be getting close to being in front of
it. Your chain is waaaay too long.

Jasper

Front shifting issues on a half-step setup Joe LoBuglio Techniques 1 June 10th 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
MTB rear derailleur shifting problem J.M. Rudder General 2 August 8th 04 05:45 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Off Road 6 January 9th 04 10:18 PM