Ouch

Old September 3rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

Default Ouch

Clive George wrote:
"Stevie D" wrote in message
Danny Colyer wrote:

Don't look at it on the way down. When you get to the bottom, take a
look at your max speed.

Sound advice - unless you've been down a better hill earlier in the
ride...

It's why I want a speedo with a resettable max. Unfortunately nobody
seems have thought that this might be a good thing.

The sigma sport BC1600 has this feature. Now I must remember to use it!

--chris
Old September 3rd 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Call me Bob

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:53:43 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

It's why I want a speedo with a resettable max. Unfortunately nobody seems
have thought that this might be a good thing.

Errrr.... what?

Every bike computer I've ever used has had a resettable max speed.
Cateye Astrales and Mity's do, the cheapy ones from Lidl do, Sigma
Sport BC1600 etc etc. I think you'll find most behave this way. You
can reset all the functions (average speed, distance, time, max speed
and the like) whenever you want, but the total mileage count persists.

"Bob"

Old September 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

Call me Bob wrote:
Every bike computer I've ever used has had a resettable max speed.
Cateye Astrales and Mity's do, the cheapy ones from Lidl do, Sigma
Sport BC1600 etc etc. I think you'll find most behave this way. You
can reset all the functions (average speed, distance, time, max speed
and the like) whenever you want, but the total mileage count persists.

Yeah, but usually when you reset the max you will also reset the trip
speed, the trip time and the trip average. I have never come across a
computer where you could reset the former without resetting the three
latter. I use a Cateye Astrale every day and I have Mitys on two of my
unicycles, none of them has this feature.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Old September 3rd 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie D

Call me Bob wrote:

Every bike computer I've ever used has had a resettable max speed.
Cateye Astrales and Mity's do, the cheapy ones from Lidl do, Sigma
Sport BC1600 etc etc. I think you'll find most behave this way. You
can reset all the functions (average speed, distance, time, max speed
and the like) whenever you want, but the total mileage count persists.

On all bike computers I've owned, you can only reset all functions at
once (except, as you say, total distance). So if you want to measure
the distance you cycled on one day, your time, average speed etc, it's
no use resetting the computer after each good hill just to check your
vMax on the next hill.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
Old September 3rd 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Danny Colyer wrote:

Every bike computer I've ever used has had a resettable max speed.
Cateye Astrales and Mity's do, the cheapy ones from Lidl do, Sigma
Sport BC1600 etc etc. I think you'll find most behave this way. You
can reset all the functions (average speed, distance, time, max speed
and the like) whenever you want, but the total mileage count persists.

Yeah, but usually when you reset the max you will also reset the trip
speed, the trip time and the trip average. I have never come across a
computer where you could reset the former without resetting the three
latter. I use a Cateye Astrale every day and I have Mitys on two of my
unicycles, none of them has this feature.

I have a Sigma Sport BC1600 (I think it is) and I can reset any of its
records without resetting them all (you hold down the reset button;
after a moment it warns that the particular function will be reset, and
if you keep holding it down it will reset it, and then it repeats that
for a wider reset).

Daniele
Old September 3rd 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
druidh

Stevie D wrote:
Call me Bob wrote:

Every bike computer I've ever used has had a resettable max speed.
Cateye Astrales and Mity's do, the cheapy ones from Lidl do, Sigma
Sport BC1600 etc etc. I think you'll find most behave this way. You
can reset all the functions (average speed, distance, time, max speed
and the like) whenever you want, but the total mileage count persists.

On all bike computers I've owned, you can only reset all functions at
once (except, as you say, total distance). So if you want to measure
the distance you cycled on one day, your time, average speed etc, it's
no use resetting the computer after each good hill just to check your
vMax on the next hill.

Sigma BC1200 also allows you to reset any field without affecting the rest.

druidh
Old September 4th 06, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Call me Bob

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:41:23 +0100, Stevie D
wrote:

On all bike computers I've owned, you can only reset all functions at
once (except, as you say, total distance). So if you want to measure
the distance you cycled on one day, your time, average speed etc, it's
no use resetting the computer after each good hill just to check your
vMax on the next hill.

As a couple of others have pointed out, the Sigma BC models allow this
(my BC1600 does at least).

"Bob"

Old September 4th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

Clive George wrote:
It's why I want a speedo with a resettable max. Unfortunately nobody seems
have thought that this might be a good thing.

My YPK computer lets you reset the max.
Unfortunately it usually invents ludicrously high max speeds so I never
believe it anyway and have to look at the current speed when I think
I'm going as fast as I'm going to get.

Old September 4th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Geraint Jones alid:
I've stopped carrying a speedo since I realised it was making me come down
Cumnor Hill more slowly than I could. Perhaps I should carry it, but tape
over the display.

Above about 35mph I can't really bring myself to look away from the road
for long enough to look at the speedo anyway.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Saturday, August - a weekend.
Old September 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Danny Colyer :
Don't look at it on the way down. When you get to the bottom, take a
look at your max speed.

Or get the stoker to remember the max speed. :-)

Ouch, my shin. iridemymuni Unicycling 16 August 6th 06 07:41 PM
Ouch! Danny Colyer UK 0 January 11th 06 09:41 PM
Ouch and the one-day trailer. Jon Senior UK 1 August 28th 05 12:46 PM
Ouch! Joel Mayes Australia 0 May 31st 05 10:09 AM
Ouch!!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 21 October 25th 03 03:59 AM