Signs of progress

Old July 27th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Signs of progress

.... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...ph-signs-74891
Old July 27th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, July 27, 2012 12:56:33 PM UTC-7, Dan O wrote:
... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...ph-signs-74891

brace ypurself

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/sc...pagewanted=all
Old July 28th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 07-27-2012 15:56, Dan O wrote:
... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...ph-signs-74891

Hope I don't forget my speedometer next time i go there. I'd hate to
get a speeding ticket. :-)

(One of my shipmates when I was in the Navy was ticketed by the base
cops for exceeding fifteen miles per hour on his bicycle)

--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!
Yes, we're all individuals!
You're all different!
Yes, we are all different!
I'm not!
("Life of Brian")

Old July 28th 12, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Jul 27, 8:49*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 07-27-2012 15:56, Dan O wrote:

... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...-new-20-mph-si...

Hope I don't forget my speedometer next time i go there. *I'd hate to
get a speeding ticket. *:-)

Years ago I lived in Denver near Washington Park, the site of a Coors
Classic Criterium stage. Anyhow, the
flat open loop (closed to vehicle traffic) there made for nice "sport"
riding, sometimes in "pickup" packs, which generally exceeded the
posted speed limit (15 or 20 mph). At some point the gendarmerie began
rigorously enforcing the speed limit. Spoilsports!
DR
Old July 28th 12, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

yeah was one on Fla. In community of abnormally ugly old people. I passed thru.

Peloton ran 4 way, ra,n ran ran ran ad nauseum then one day the Peloton ran the 4 way in front of Mr Big an LO ! tickets were isssued.

big flap like riding a bicycle absolved the P of stopping.

Old July 28th 12, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 27, 10:49*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 07-27-2012 15:56, Dan O wrote:

... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...-new-20-mph-si...

Hope I don't forget my speedometer next time i go there. *I'd hate to
get a speeding ticket. *:-)

(One of my shipmates when I was in the Navy was ticketed by the base
cops for exceeding fifteen miles per hour on his bicycle)

At a local park trail with a ridiculous 10 MPH speed limit, a friend
of mine avoided such a ticket by outrunning the cop's scooter. :-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dan O:

... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...ph-signs-74891

In the areas I drive, nobody.... that is *NOBODY* drives at the
speed limit.

Ok, occasionally one sees somebody that is either obviously
impaired and/or is driving a defective vehicle... but that's 1 on
a thousand.

The slowest drivers are holding 5 mph over the posted limit.

That being the case, it seems to me like what they really want
there is 15 mph limits.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 28th 12, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Wes Groleau:
(One of my shipmates when I was in the Navy was ticketed by the base
cops for exceeding fifteen miles per hour on his bicycle)

A guy in my barracks at Hickam AFB in Hawaii had his ticket for
something like 35 mph framed and hung on his locker.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 28th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Dan O:

... from a progressive city:

http://bikeportland.org/2012/07/26/p...ph-signs-74891

In the areas I drive, nobody.... that is *NOBODY* drives at the
speed limit.

Ok, occasionally one sees somebody that is either obviously
impaired and/or is driving a defective vehicle... but that's 1 on
a thousand.

The slowest drivers are holding 5 mph over the posted limit.

That being the case, it seems to me like what they really want
there is 15 mph limits.

Seems to me that speed limit signs wouldn't work as well as traffic
calming devices like, say, speed humps. As discussed around here in
years past, they seem to work in a couple residential neighborhoods
around here that used to suffer from fast cut-through traffic. And I saw
quite a few similar things recently in France. They didn't cause me any
grief while cycling.

Anybody here with more experience with them?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

San Diego south to north at rash hour