How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

Old August 15th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

Might be wise if one were to use hockey tape not to drill the outside of
the rim, lest water get in and cause the tape to be less sticky?

I'm thinking I will drill some smallish holes between the spokes on my
nightrider when I have access to both a scale and a drill press in the
near future. though the thought of having an extra 50g off the inside
of the wheel is appealing..

it'd suck if say you couldn't ride it in the rain though.

And scott: if you could put a 'fixie' on the rim drilled I'm sure you
could get away with geared. I'd be curious to know if the benefits of
lighter wheels are amplified or lessened or stay the same on gears as
well.

--
flyer

Old August 15th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

If you use hockey tape, and the rim is drilled all the way through,
would water getting in at the tape be an issue? Could you stretch a 24"
'thick' (for drilled rims) rim tape over it and still be okay?

I will be drilling outside holes on my nightrider once I have access to
both a scale and a drill press, so we'll see. I'm thinking I might not
drill out the inside until I test the strength of the outside first. An
extra 50 grams off is not bad though, every bit counts for sure.

also scott, I think that if it holds up to normal 'fixie' use then it
should be fine on a geared. What I'd like to see is what difference a
lightweight wheelset makes to geared hubs vs. stock weighted wheels.
Does it help more, less or the same?

Someday I'll have the gear to answer these questions

--
flyer
Old August 16th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scotthue

flyer wrote:
If you use hockey tape, and the rim is drilled all the way through,
would water getting in at the tape be an issue? Could you stretch a 24"
'thick' (for drilled rims) rim tape over it and still be okay?

I will be drilling outside holes on my nightrider once I have access to
both a scale and a drill press, so we'll see. I'm thinking I might not
drill out the inside until I test the strength of the outside first. An
extra 50 grams off is not bad though, every bit counts for sure.

also scott, I think that if it holds up to normal 'fixie' use then it
should be fine on a geared. What I'd like to see is what difference a
lightweight wheelset makes to geared hubs vs. stock weighted wheels.
Does it help more, less or the same?

Someday I'll have the gear to answer these questions

On UDC the KH rim strip is only $4 and is pretty stretchy, so you could
try it.
In theory, the faster you go the more weight matters because as the
wheel spins faster, it makes more centrifugal force, and on a guni you
go faster so it would matter more than on a fixie. (I think)

--
scotthue
Old August 16th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

flyer wrote:

also scott, I think that if it holds up to normal 'fixie' use then it
should be fine on a geared. What I'd like to see is what difference a
lightweight wheelset makes to geared hubs vs. stock weighted wheels.
Does it help more, less or the same?

On geared 29er a lightweight wheel makes *way* more difference than on
a normal 29er.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old August 16th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

flyer wrote:
If you use hockey tape, and the rim is drilled all the way through,
would water getting in at the tape be an issue? Could you stretch a 24"
'thick' (for drilled rims) rim tape over it and still be okay?

I doubt you could stretch a 24" rim tape that far.
for rim tape you coudl do what most trial bikers do on their 26" wheels
and use electrician's tape or duct tape. Or maybe get 26" rim tape,
more chance of going all the way round a 36" wheel. Still think it's
unlikely. get two and stick em together?

--
brendan
Old August 17th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scotthue

brendan wrote:
I doubt you could stretch a 24" rim tape that far.
for rim tape you coudl do what most trial bikers do on their 26" wheels
and use electrician's tape or duct tape. Or maybe get 26" rim tape,
more chance of going all the way round a 36" wheel. Still think it's
unlikely. get two and stick em together?

One idea is to get two 24" Kh rim tapes and stick them together. The
problem is that they are for the drilled rim so you would probably have
to heat them and fuse the plastic together, but I don't know if that
would work.

--
scotthue
Old August 17th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

I'll just go the hockey tape route - it's plentiful in canada :P

--
flyer
Old August 29th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

Okay, so an update on this. I drilled 34 (decided it was unwise to widen
the valve hole or drill a huge hole over the rim join) 3/4" (1.9cm)
holes in my nightrider. It looks pretty badass, and I'll post pictures
a bit later. I don't have the equipment to put smaller holes on the
inside diameter of the rim, but the final weight ended up at 1048g.
That's a whopping 68 grams off the stock wheel!

Now I just have to rebuild the unicycle, and see if it was worth the
trouble and if the weaker rim holds up.

After I shave down the tire and swap out my rim strip, I'm looking at a
half kilo (providing my tire tread removal estimate is right) of weight
off a nightrider tire/rim combo with a 29'er tube.

woo!

--
flyer
Old August 29th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Sweet stuff Dave, what are you using to cut the tire?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)