why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target

Old December 8th 03, 04:35 AM
Mike Vandeman

Default why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 12:43:59 -0600, "N Grover" wrote:

..ah ha, and here I thought mike was an environmental scientist. well mike
..if you have recently taken a course in environmental science you would
..know that the current train of thought is not to abolish anything that has
..an evnvironmental impact.

BS.

as a westerner you undoubtedly do you part in
..destroying the environment. you being a programmer means that you support
..a much graver concern than mountain biking and that is "digital waste".
..consider the following statement next time you buy anything digital or
..promote computers in anyway:
..
.."Electronic equipment is one of the largest known sources of heavy metals,
..toxic materials, and organic pollutants in municipal trash waste," said
..Leslie Byster, a spokeswoman for Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition, a
..nonprofit group in California that studies computer industry waste. "The
..only household item I can think of that is worse," he said, "would be
..pesticides."
..
..does that mean computers should be abolished....no because you and i would
..be out of a job. instead we must do our best to use recycled computer
..components and support products that are more easily broken down. IE buy
..producst from Hewlet Packard. If you don't "understand" that then I will
..apply your own logic and call you a hypocrite for using a computer to
..partake in this news group. by doing so you are polluting the environment
..of many third world countries where your waste ends up. My enviro prof
..would be embarassed by people like you (Dr. Rhonda Mc.Dougal - University
..of Manitoba) who are full of half truthes.

Half a truth is better than none at all.

... assesment. Ya know, I took an environmental science course at
..University .
...So did I, but it counts for nothing when you're 'debating' with Mike.
..
..Especially since you didn't understand a bit of it.
..
..
.. And you did, Mikey? LOL
.. Yeah, riiiiiight!

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old December 8th 03, 04:36 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:11:53 +0100, bomba wrote:

..Mike Vandeman wrote:
..
.. .If only someone could take away his
.. . addiction for attacking MTB'ing with little background research or indepth
.. . assesment. Ya know, I took an environmental science course at University
.. .
.. .So did I, but it counts for nothing when you're 'debating' with Mike.
..
.. Especially since you didn't understand a bit of it.
..
..I would have got a first, but failed the section on the impacts of
..mountain biking. Apparently, I failed to mention the persistent lying
..of cyclists. Natch.

Yes, that is a fatal flaw.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old December 8th 03, 06:00 AM
N Grover

Half a truth is better than none at all.

actually no, a half truth is not better...how did you ever get through
school? here is the dictionary definition of a half truth and if you think
it's "better" than anything all then it helps explain your attitude and
why it does more harm than good.

half truth:
"a statement that mingles truth and falsehood with deliberate intent to
deceive"

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=half+truth

.....I give you an "argument" and you counter with "BS"...good job, thats
effective. Your attitude has definately made a positive impact here on the
news group, why don't you try and explain to us all how it is that you
have accomplished anything good by getting MTB'ers to disslike you. And
no, they don't disslike you becaues you are right, they disslike you
because like me they came on this forum only to see insulting posts.
Racism happens because of blanket statments such as "Another typical
mountain biker demonstrates their utter ignorance and inability to
reason". Sterotypes such as these are what makes this world a difficult
place to live. This is also why environmentalists are often seen as
radical idiots which only hinders their cause. Such radical
inconsistencies in your life must be hard to balance in you head, you
would almost have to be schizophrenic. If this world goes down in flames
is as much a result of me as it is you.
Old December 8th 03, 11:57 AM
ctg

"N Grover" wrote in message If this world goes
down in flames
is as much a result of me as it is you.

How is saving MJV's soul going Neil?

Yet more persuasive arguments, he's sure to crack any minute now!

Chris

Old December 8th 03, 05:51 PM
JD

"ctg" wrote in message ...
"N Grover" wrote in message If this world goes
down in flames
is as much a result of me as it is you.

How is saving MJV's soul going Neil?

He's still blind to the uselessness of arguing with that psycho. How
does it feel to be retarded Neil? Is your last name Strickland? If
you are a mountain biker, just shut the hell up and ride.

JD
Old December 8th 03, 06:22 PM
N Grover

well that's enough idiots on one news group for me not to come back. while
mountain bikers are not all "retards" people like Mike and yourself are
right about one thing, there are some who do seem to spoil it for the
masses. how do you expect this news group to survive when newcomers like
myself are greeted with posts like "another typical idiot mountain biker"
- "mtb'ing in the olympics should be banned"....etc. you see JD you havn't
solved anything by shutting me out because the next new guy will come
along and it will be hard for them to simply overlook the roughly 30% hate
posts.

have fun hate bashing each other and to those who don't, there are plenty
of other forums.

Neil

Old December 8th 03, 06:30 PM
Penny S

N Grover murmured while asleep:
well that's enough idiots on one news group for me not to come back.
while mountain bikers are not all "retards" people like Mike and
yourself are right about one thing, there are some who do seem to
spoil it for the masses. how do you expect this news group to survive
when newcomers like myself are greeted with posts like "another
typical idiot mountain biker"
- "mtb'ing in the olympics should be banned"....etc. you see JD you
havn't solved anything by shutting me out because the next new guy
will come along and it will be hard for them to simply overlook the
roughly 30% hate posts.

have fun hate bashing each other and to those who don't, there are
plenty of other forums.

Neil

better idea... kill any thread that MV starts, and post some of the kind of
content you'd desire to read.
I thought about posting about horrific music in the spin class I took
this morning since I'm a winter weenie when it comes to riding.

Penny

Old December 8th 03, 07:59 PM
Stephen Baker

Neil Grover says:

well that's enough idiots on one news group for me not to come back.

Now THAT's a strange reaction...

how do you expect this news group to survive when newcomers like
myself are greeted with posts like "another typical idiot mountain biker"
- "mtb'ing in the olympics should be banned"....etc.

So you found Mikey V - we have all found him at some point. Get over him and
respond to the biking posts.

you see JD you havn't
solved anything by shutting me out because the next new guy will come
along and it will be hard for them to simply overlook the roughly 30% hate
posts.

If you think the posts you mention are from JD, maybe you should go back and
re-read them.

Steve
Old December 8th 03, 08:00 PM
Stephen Baker

Penny says:

I thought about posting about horrific music in the spin class I took
this morning since I'm a winter weenie when it comes to riding.

So what was this horrific muzak?

Huh?

Steve
Old December 8th 03, 08:17 PM
Jonesy

"N Grover" wrote in message a...
Half a truth is better than none at all.

actually no, a half truth is not better

[snip]

While it's fun to poke holes in Mike's arguments (after all, it's just
so damn easy,) arguing with him is a fruitless endeavor. Well, he's a
fruitcake, but that's really not the point.

I have been known to waste my time giving him a little rhetorical
education, but in the end, neither he nor anyone else cares how
eloquent you are, or how well-crafted your logic happens to be. He's
got his thing, and I'm pretty sure his mind is not ammenable to facts
that disagree with his opinions.

You now probably have that figured out. If you don't want to find
ourself placed in killfiles, I suggest just giving up. The best
rebuttal against Mike is just continuing to ride your bike and telling
everyone how great it is. And you avoid annoying folks by posting a
lot of crap that's been posted before. Multiple times. I'll continue
to skewer him every now and again, but I don't have any illusions that
it does anything but maybe tweak his nose.

Tell us about your bike, about the places you ride, and about the
supermodels you've dated. Enquiring minds want to know.

Oh, yeah - keep your head down, lest the singlespeed mafia get their
hands on you. You might get brainwashed into believing it's actually
*fun.* Oh, yeah - ignore everyone who gives you **** about giving
Mike a little hell. After all, banging your head against a wall feels
so good when you stop...
--
Jonesy