BMX wheels for recumbent tandem use?

Old August 29th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1076_]

Default BMX wheels for recumbent tandem use?

Jeff Wills wrote:
The Rhyno Lite would be well-matched with a 1.3" to 1.5" wide tire. If
you were going wider (say, 1.75" to 2.1"), a Sun Big City rim might be
a better match. I've ridden with Screamer teams that rode on 28mm wide
Continental front tires....

Do these people have a death wish, or are they both very small people? I
found the 28-406 Conti GP to be a marginal tire on the REAR of a single
recumbent, and a 32-406 Primo Comet to be marginal on the front of a
RANS Rocket. One decent hit on a pothole or a larger piece of gravel at
speed on the Screamer will have the Conti GP pinch flatted, and the bike
will almost certainly go down after that. Yikes.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 29th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JeffWills

On Aug 28, 6:31 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
wrote:
Jeff Wills wrote:
The Rhyno Lite would be well-matched with a 1.3" to 1.5" wide tire. If
you were going wider (say, 1.75" to 2.1"), a Sun Big City rim might be
a better match. I've ridden with Screamer teams that rode on 28mm wide
Continental front tires....

Do these people have a death wish, or are they both very small people?

Well, both riders were smaller than me... but that goes for 99% of the
people in the U.S. The captain was average size- 5-foot-9, IIRC. He
was also an airline pilot (and claimed to be ex-Air Force), so he had
some smarts. As far as I can tell he's still around, but I haven't
ridden with them for a couple years.

I agree that the Continental isn't a good choice for a tandem. I
never saw it fail, though.

Jeff