Best Shortwave Antenna for Cycling ?

Old March 30th 04, 12:29 AM
ex_cathedra

Default Best Shortwave Antenna for Cycling ?

It's yer bike !
Believe it or not.
I had this junky transistor styled shortwave radio
that hardly picked up any stations.

I also had a hard time picking up even FM in some places out here due
to the terrain.
One bike radio(am/fm/headlight) I tried had a wire coming out from
it.
And when it got near the bike,the radio went dead.
So for FM your bike is a signal killer.

So just goofing around today I clipped a wire to my bike....(to the
reflector bracket) and this shortwave radio worked GREAT!

I rode around to all the places I had problems with FM even.
And the shortwave stations were really loud and clear.

I'm just sayin....
Whooda thunk a bike is a perfect shortwave antenna?

Thank God I don't have to listen to Clearchannel anymore !
Old March 30th 04, 02:52 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:52 -0600,
, Kevan Smith
wrote:

On 29 Mar 2004 15:29:14 -0800, (ex_cathedra) from
http://groups.google.com wrote:

I'm just sayin....
Whooda thunk a bike is a perfect shortwave antenna?

That makes sense, now that you mention it, because of the triangular frame.

paste from previous post

The regulators (FCC) are busy right now giving away broadband rights
to their electric company buddies. Implementing BPL will make CB, ham
and many presently assigned emergency bands unusable. Seems a like a
bad move given the increasingly decrepit state of the grid and there
being a few credible terror threats and all.

Do you really need your fridge connected to the internet? Write your
congressman today because the regulators are pulling a fast one.
They're quietly trying to abscond with your right to access and the
security of your own public airwaves. That's scary no matter how it
spins. Citizens of other countries have been able to prevent it.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5089730.html
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/
--
zk
Old March 30th 04, 05:17 PM
Victor

We have enough polution already. Do we really need to extend it to include
the radio frequency spectrum as well?

I have in the past operated bicycle mobile using an antenna on my helmet.
You might want to try mounting a coiled wire there for shortwave.

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:52:18 -0800, Zoot Katz

from
Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd. Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:52 -0600,
, Kevan Smith
wrote:

[...]

Have you been listening to Art Bell ? So have I!

--

Mute and continue.
93

Old March 30th 04, 08:42 PM
David Reuteler

Victor vcarnuccio @mindspring.com wrote:

We have enough polution already. Do we really need to extend it to include
the radio frequency spectrum as well?

I have in the past operated bicycle mobile using an antenna on my helmet.
You might want to try mounting a coiled wire there for shortwave.

that's a good point kevan .. you can just wire it into to your aliminum foil
deflector beanie.
--
david reuteler

Old March 31st 04, 05:10 PM
David Reuteler

Kevan Smith wrote:
And you might want to get some glasses ... I didn't write any of that.

but you wrote the one before it out about art bell. as in party A says
something, party B makes a comment .. hey relevant point to party A.
that's why i referenced you by name.

geez, don't be so paranoid.

heh, heh.
--
david reuteler

Old March 31st 04, 05:49 PM
S o r n i

David Reuteler wrote:
Kevan Smith wrote:
And you might want to get some glasses ... I didn't write any of
that.

but you wrote the one before it out about art bell. as in party A
says something, party B makes a comment .. hey relevant point to
party A. that's why i referenced you by name.

But you didn't quote any of that. (Granted, it's a pain to fix top-posting,
but you could have just replied to Kevan's post directly.)

Bill "Victor spoiled the flow (get it? Victor...spoils...never mind)" S.

Old March 31st 04, 06:31 PM
David Reuteler

S o r n i wrote:
But you didn't quote any of that. (Granted, it's a pain to fix top-posting,
but you could have just replied to Kevan's post directly.)

yea, ok. i'm bad at clarifying myself. think of it this way, i've got bob
and kevan agreeing on something.
--
david reuteler

Old March 31st 04, 06:50 PM
S o r n i

David Reuteler wrote:
S o r n i wrote:
But you didn't quote any of that. (Granted, it's a pain to fix
top-posting, but you could have just replied to Kevan's post
directly.)

yea, ok. i'm bad at clarifying myself. think of it this way, i've
got bob and kevan agreeing on something.

Never mind that, here *I* am defending Kevan!!!

Bill "don't think it's habit-forming" S.

Old April 19th 04, 08:21 AM
ex_cathedra

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:38:52 -0600,
, Kevan Smith
wrote:

On 29 Mar 2004 15:29:14 -0800, (ex_cathedra) from
http://groups.google.com wrote:

I'm just sayin....
Whooda thunk a bike is a perfect shortwave antenna?

That makes sense, now that you mention it, because of the triangular frame.

paste from previous post

The regulators (FCC) are busy right now giving away broadband rights
to their electric company buddies. Implementing BPL will make CB, ham
and many presently assigned emergency bands unusable. Seems a like a
bad move given the increasingly decrepit state of the grid and there
being a few credible terror threats and all.

Do you really need your fridge connected to the internet?

Nope.

But they're gonna make you have it whether it's Bush or his cousin Kerry.

Write your
congressman today because the regulators are pulling a fast one.

They know it.
They also know they can get away with it.

They think pulling fast ones is like their job nowadays.

They're quietly trying to abscond with your right to access and the
security of your own public airwaves. That's scary no matter how it
spins. Citizens of other countries have been able to prevent it.

Sounds like a job for ...
Aaron Russo !
http://www.russoforpresident.com

This guy is a Hollywood pro.
He could actually make it.

(I bet _he'd_ let ya have the airwaves back.)

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5089730.html
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

That really stinks!

I know I'm savoring the last remnants of free speech radio.
WBCQ weekends are like real radio!
What a shame =(
Old April 19th 04, 08:30 AM
ex_cathedra

"Victor" vcarnuccio @mindspring.com wrote in message link.net...
We have enough polution already. Do we really need to extend it to include
the radio frequency spectrum as well?

I have in the past operated bicycle mobile using an antenna on my helmet.
You might want to try mounting a coiled wire there for shortwave.

I was trying that when I made the discovery.
It didn't do much with a wire coiled around a pencil.
I was fed up and just clipped it to the reflector before taking the
radio in the house,and it was great.

But it also works good with the radio in a fanny pack with the
antenna extended out of the zipper.

Hmmph.

Oh well The Information Ministry is going to destroy the last bastian
of free global radio anyway.

Enjoy it while ya can I guess.
It's a lot more fun than stinky AM FM