randonneur

Old May 31st 18, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default randonneur

Tim McNamara wrote:

As a tall, heavy guy I thnk that'd be about
right. I have problems with any rear wheel
with less than 36 spokes if it has 7 or more
cogs (7 x 135 mm wide is not a problem, very
low dish wheel, but 7 or more with a 130 mm
OLN is just bad design IMHO even though it is
the standard. With 11 speeds, the OLN should
be 140 or 145 mm unless the rider is under
120 lbs).

What is OLN? "Over lock nut"?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 31st 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 7:16:51 AM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote
OK, so PBP is Paris-Brest-Paris but what is
a "brevet rider"?

A "brevet" is a long distance ride of 200, 300, 400, 600, 1000, 1200 kilometers. With a time limit and various pace deadlines. A "brevet rider" is one who rides these events. PBP is a brevet.

A randonneur/randonneur rider?

A "randonneur" is a brevet rider. Although on this forum people seem to think randonneur also means the bike used by the riders. Or another name for a loaded touring bike.

Look up RUSA. Randonneurs USA. This is the official randonneur organization in the USA. You have to go through RUSA to get into PBP if you are from the USA. PBP does not allow unaffiliated people to enter. You have to get in through some official national randonneur organization.

Old May 31st 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

So you should be asking about touring bikes,
not randonneuses. And you shouldn't be
complaining that bikes meant for brevets
aren't equipped the way you want them to be
in order to do loaded touring.

The best bike I have seen to this date for my
projected purposes has been the "VSF
Fahrradmanufaktur TX-Randonneur Shimano 105
30-speed", only it is too expensive (but I can
put away for a couple of months, for sure).

The second best bike is the "Fuji Touring Road
Bike 2018", only that by default doesn't have
lights, fenders or front racks, and the
32 tires is a question mark. Heck, I don't know
if it even has a kickstand! Doesn't seem like
my kind'a stuff at all...

So to call it from those two bikes, it'd seem
I'm looking for a randonneur for sure, and,
with some extra work/modifications,
a touring bike.

And what do I know, perhaps those modifications
even turns the Fuji into a randonneur? Or just
what exactly are the definitions?

"A touring bike is a bike..."

"A randonneur bike is a bike..."

?

Old May 31st 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 31/05/2018 3:57 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane wrote:

[...]

What I'm trying to tell you is that if you search for a "randonneur" you
are limiting your choices to something that isn't actually what you want.

If you insist, go ahead. But you may be better off looking for touring
bikes.

Old May 31st 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

I have no idea what you want but if you sit quietly and
ponder that, or go for a quiet dawn ride away from people to
collect your thoughts, any imaginable thing can be built
just as you wish:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfd13sr4.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ken%27s.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFT04C.JPG

With any wheel size, tire width, mudguard/rack provisions,
disc or caliper or cantilever/V brakes, Q/R hubs or through
axles, top tube level or slopey, any handlebar position, BB
high or low, kickstand plate added or not, and so on.

Standard touring models are cheap because they are popular
high volume products:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...volpe-classic/

Which of course means outlier cyclists with special tastes
support the custom frame builder industry. Choice is good!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 31st 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfd13sr4.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ken%27s.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFT04C.JPG

The black one looks good save for the color (I
don't care for black) and at least in this part
of the world fenders is a good idea for
35+ tires.

Old May 31st 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/31/2018 4:36 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfd13sr4.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ken%27s.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFT04C.JPG

The black one looks good save for the color (I
don't care for black) and at least in this part
of the world fenders is a good idea for
35+ tires.

Color's the easiest part of custom.
Deutsch flag motif:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFDLAUE3.JPG

Grateful Dead:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdsam7.jpg

Bovine:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdsam8.jpg

BMW Atlantic Blue to match your convertible:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFD08DC1.JPG

or, of course, black. Your choice.

Think about BB height (a typical PBP bike has a higher BB
than a full cargo touring bike) and things of that nature.

Old June 1st 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/30/2018 11:02 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 11:06:49 -0700, Mark J.
wrote:

* Notes: I use "touring bike" to mean a bike intended for multi-day
trips carrying camping gear. I use "randonneur" or "rando bike" to
mean a bike intended for brevets - 200 to 1200 km mostly
self-supported rides carrying the bare minimum for survival and ride
completion.

Even there the standards are widely variable. My buddy Doug did a 600
km brevet on a racing bike with 23 mm tires, a patch kit and tire lever
and about $20 in cash. He was perfectly happy with that. I am not such
a minimalist. I'd have had a handlebar bag with two spare tubes, patch
kit, a compact tool kit (fits in an Altoids can but is surprisingly
complete), maybe a rain jacket, some food, money and ID, cell phone...
and my bike has fenders, generator lighting, wideish tires, etc.

Yup. We see both types on Oregon brevets. I'm closer to you than I am
to your buddy. "Minimum for survival and ride completion" is
interpreted in a highly variable way.

Mark J.