From Ory-gun with love: T47 BBs

Old April 13th 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default From Ory-gun with love: T47 BBs

https://www.velonews.com/gear/argona...w-threaded-bb/ There is a new article in Velo News about Trek adopting the standard for some of its bikes including the new Domane.

I had threaded outboard BBs that creaked. It's not like they were perfect, and you have a double interface with the threaded body and the pressed-in bearing, so AFAIK,absolute silence is not a guaranty. But its supposed to be pretty slick. What is old is new again -- except bigger. Like tennis rackets and bike tires. And with Chris King, you know it will be affordable.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 13th 20, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 13, 2020 at 10:27:24 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
https://www.velonews.com/gear/argona...w-threaded-bb/ There is a new article in Velo News about Trek adopting the standard for some of its bikes including the new Domane.

I had threaded outboard BBs that creaked. It's not like they were perfect, and you have a double interface with the threaded body and the pressed-in bearing, so AFAIK,absolute silence is not a guaranty. But its supposed to be pretty slick. What is old is new again -- except bigger. Like tennis rackets and bike tires. And with Chris King, you know it will be affordable.

-- Jay Beattie.

I will take english threaded outboard BB any time. As long as replacements cost less than 20 euro

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...racket-p35878/

I don't need bigger bearings and don't care about creaks that happen seldom.. Press fit BB are a PIA in more than one way.

Lou
Old April 13th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, April 13, 2020 at 4:27:24 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
https://www.velonews.com/gear/argona...w-threaded-bb/ There is a new article in Velo News about Trek adopting the standard for some of its bikes including the new Domane.

I had threaded outboard BBs that creaked. It's not like they were perfect, and you have a double interface with the threaded body and the pressed-in bearing, so AFAIK,absolute silence is not a guaranty. But its supposed to be pretty slick. What is old is new again -- except bigger. Like tennis rackets and bike tires. And with Chris King, you know it will be affordable.

-- Jay Beattie.

Thank God! Hasn't it been weeks and weeks since we've had a new
bottom bracket standard? I was getting really antsy!

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 13th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 14:10:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I've always wondered about the "creaking BB"? What is creaking? It
can't be the bearing cups as they are, or should be, screwed into the
threaded housing and tightened; tight! If the bearings are adjusted
correctly they won't creak, or at least a much smaller but similar in
construction wheel bearing doesn't creak, or does it? So what's left?
The BB shaft is bending? The pedal arm moving on a tapered shaft
because it isn't mounted correctly?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 14th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Monday, April 13, 2020 at 3:56:49 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
[...]

The Phil Wood outboard on my '92 Paramount is still creak free after ??,??? commuter miles. Is it that only the ti BB's are supposed to creak?
Old April 14th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/13/2020 5:56 PM, John B. wrote:
[...]

Yes, all of those things and more. Noises do plague some
riders more than others. Noises often resonate, making the
source hard to locate (open cam rear wheel QR disguised as
'crank noise') The description by rider can vary wildly from
noises heard on test ride('Your saddle creaks.' 'No, it's a
crank noise.'). You get the idea; 'noise' on a bicycle is
more complex than one might at first imagine.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 14th 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/13/2020 6:56 PM, John B. wrote:
[...]

I've had two major incidences of "creaking bottom bracket" on my ancient
Cannondale. One was indeed the bottom bracket (a SunTour cartridge unit)
despite it being installed nice and tight. I cured it by wrapping the
threads of the locating cups with teflon tape. I think the explanation
is that the threads are not an interference fit. There must be some tiny
clearance between the male and female (frame) threads, and even if
tight, those parts can wobble under the heavy loads of hard pedaling.
Aluminum bikes are known for that problem.

The second "creaking bottom bracket" on that bike turned out to instead
be from the saddle. I think the plastic top sometimes rubs against the
saddle rail, or perhaps the rubbing is where the rails plug into the
plastic top. It drove me nuts for quite a while, partly because it was
so intermittent.

When it returns, I try to ignore it until I get home. Then I try to
remember to spray some lube in various places in the saddle. But that's
difficult, because when I'm taking the bike into the house, it never
squeaks to remind me!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 14th 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 20:36:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Not to argue but a properly torqued thread shouldn't move as the
longitudinal tension 'should' keep the 60 degree thread centered.
Shouldn't it. Example: a three jaw chuck mounted on a 15 inch lathe
doesn't move on the threads under the heaviest cutting load. Does it?

The second "creaking bottom bracket" on that bike turned out to instead
be from the saddle. I think the plastic top sometimes rubs against the
saddle rail, or perhaps the rubbing is where the rails plug into the
plastic top. It drove me nuts for quite a while, partly because it was
so intermittent.

When it returns, I try to ignore it until I get home. Then I try to
remember to spray some lube in various places in the saddle. But that's
difficult, because when I'm taking the bike into the house, it never
squeaks to remind me!

My Brooks saddle used to make squeaking noises AND! Back when I lived
at home and we had horses a saddle would occasionally creak :-) Some
neatsfoot oil used to cure that :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 14th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 19:25:20 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Added to that it seems that often the user will not be using terms
that the mechanic can understand. I was in the shop on a Sunday (doing
a "home project") and a guy came over from the Fire Station and wanted
to know if we had any of "them fat thread bolts" which kind of threw
me for a bit, until he showed me a sample, a coarse thread bolt :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

I love Usenet almost as much as I love bicycles. Zoot Katz General 7 April 8th 08 07:36 AM
I love Usenet almost as much as I love bicycles. Zoot Katz Social Issues 7 April 8th 08 07:36 AM
I love Usenet almost as much as I love bicycles. Zoot Katz Techniques 6 April 6th 08 09:35 PM
Love at first sit Nick Kew UK 37 November 3rd 07 06:33 PM
I love Darren Bedford! (But I love Danielle more!) drewation Unicycling 6 January 28th 05 08:58 PM