Personal Bike News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 30th 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_3_]

Default Personal Bike News

Good Evening,

1. I got a RockShox suspension pump. I didn't
bother with sag but followed the chart for
a 100mm travel suspension fork and a rider
with gear of 80-90kg: 120 PSI, tops, so
I put it there. It feels a bit funky; if
anything, I'd like more air, but perhaps I'm
not just tuned in to the suspension world.

The RockShox pump is a gorgeous tool with an
indicator with PSI and bar, and a button to
release the air wich makes it all but
a precision instrument.

However, it remains just a pump, and it cost
499 SEK which is 54.36 USD - I barely dare
ask, what the same item costs in the US?
(499 SEK is 47.94 Euro or 42.80 GBP.)

As for riding, I mostly note it when I brake
with the front wheel, but sometimes it feels
good, yes.

2. The shifters on the handlebars are still
cold even with gloves. I put some gorilla
tape [1] on the levers, as well as over the
protruding bolts. With a nail clippers, this
was an almost seamless fix. While it made
sense in theory, I had a feeling it wouldn't
make a difference in practice. But actually
I think it did, just a little!

3. I examined the saddle from Syncros and found
two M6 Allen bolts. Assuming 8.8 and no
grease, the maximum safe torque is 10Nm [2]
- however, here, they said 12-15! I put it
to 13 which amounted to a small increment.

4. As an experiment, I increased the PSI in the
front tire to 50 PSI (65 max) and the first
thing that happened, when it was +/-0C,
I made a right turn and flew over the bike.
The chain, the H20-bottle, the rear light
cover and the batteries flew off as well,
otherwise it was undramatic. What I had
before was ~35 PSI, and only Jehovah knows
if that would have made a difference.
The tires are 2.20.

5. I also got a CatEye Volt500XC lamp. If we
disregard the annoying blinking modes, it
has one mode of 500lm and one of 100. It is
easy to place and remove from the handlebar;
it is possible to rotate.

The coolest thing is that is has a memory,
so if you have it at 100lm, turn it off, and
then turn it on, you don't have to cycle to
get to 100lm again.

The second coolest thing is that it is
recharged with the common USB stuff that
everyone has nowadays, so no hassle with
batteries.

This was also 499 SEK, BTW.

On the ground, EB.

[1] https://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-tape/