Dogs Hurt!

Old June 29th 04, 01:48 PM
Tyler1407

Default Dogs Hurt!

I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of questions! Last week while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice enough to run me off of the road, which caused me to flip my bike. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised as an experienced cyclist I know once told me that there are two types of cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2) those that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a cylcist with my first real crash. My question though is whether anyone has some good tips on avoiding a similar occurance? In your experiences, what have you found that is effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

Old June 29th 04, 04:38 PM
GaryG

"Tyler1407" wrote in message
. ..
I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of questions! Last week

while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice enough to run me off
of the road, which caused me to flip my bike. I guess I shouldn't be too
suprised as an experienced cyclist I know once told me that there are two
types of cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2) those
that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a cylcist with my first
real crash. My question though is whether anyone has some good tips on
avoiding a similar occurance? In your experiences, what have you found
that is effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

Pepper spray. A small cannister fits neatly in the jersey pocket and works
well on dogs (but, be aware of the wind direction if you have to use it!).
Get the "cop strength" stuff, instead of the dog-specific Halt product (it's
too weak for two-legged varmints).

~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Old June 29th 04, 08:02 PM
keydates

Some people may find that to be cruelty to animals, especially if it does long-term damage to the dog. Other suggestions he
http://chainreaction.com/dogs.htm

Old June 29th 04, 10:32 PM
Rocky

more cruel to get killed because some dog ran you off the road or under a
truck.

my life is more important than any dog's discomfort.

I carry the LARGE size (size of a med small can of shave cream) and when I
go mountain biking in the boonies I carry the super size bear spray - 20+
foot range, puts out a cloud of it.

As another poster said, keep your head and check the wind before you use it.

. ..

Old June 30th 04, 01:17 AM
keydates

I suppose. Although that's an entirely different issue.

On a completely different subject, what's with all these spammers
offering links to Simpson's porn? I mean, for one it's cartoon porn. And
another, this is a bike newsgroup, not a porn newsgroup.

Old June 30th 04, 07:35 AM
Brian

Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...

Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???

just askin...

Old June 30th 04, 09:37 PM
George

"Tyler1407" wrote in message
. ..
I am fairly new to cycling and still have plenty of questions! Last week

while riding I ran into a group of dogs that were nice enough to run me off
of the road, which caused me to flip my bike. I guess I shouldn't be too
suprised as an experienced cyclist I know once told me that there are two
types of cyclists in this world: 1)Those that have crashed, and 2) those
that are going to crash. So I now consider myself a cylcist with my first
real crash. My question though is whether anyone has some good tips on
avoiding a similar occurance? In your experiences, what have you found
that is effective when dealing with insane canines? Thanks!

If it is in an area where where you frequently ride and you see the owner
let them know they are responsible if you get hurt. There is a person with a
125 lb dog about 1 mile from my house. The dog would run out and at you
every time. I stopped and politely informed the owner that dogs must be
under control and no matter how friendly he decided the dog was it could
easily upset a bike and he would be responsible.

Old July 1st 04, 04:03 AM
CowPunk

"Brian" wrote in message ...
Auto Spammers know no usenet boundaries...

Anybody ever beaten a dog to death with a shackle lock???

just askin...

I've had to shoot a few ferrel dogs and cats.
It's not a very pleasant thing to do and I
am a firm believer that people should leave
their PETS at home where they belong.
Old July 2nd 04, 04:24 AM
Michael Lester

Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the road (not just
running along side of me but at me) gets a face full of Halt from me and the
owner gets a visit from the dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report
them, but the warden is a friend of my wife who told her about one dog owner
who chased me down in his truck. She asked me "what if it was a little kid
riding by next time?" Strangely enough, I have never seen that dog again
after her little talk with the owner. Dogs coming on to the road after a
bicyclist is agressive behavior, report it right away.

. ..

Old July 3rd 04, 04:33 AM
Scott Eiler

Michael Lester wrote:

Around here, a dog leaving the yard and coming onto the road (not just
running along side of me but at me) gets a face full of Halt from me and the
owner gets a visit from the dogwarden the next day. I didn't use to report
them, but the warden is a friend of my wife who told her about one dog owner
who chased me down in his truck. She asked me "what if it was a little kid
riding by next time?"

I once lived in a town where the dogs were a major problem that way.
Then the town got an animal control officer who started actually
controlling the problem. Boy, that led to a lot of protest politics in
town meetings, right down to bits of parliamentary procedure which dog
owners didn't understand... heh heh.

Strangely enough, I have never seen that dog again
after her little talk with the owner.

I once saw a dog go out on the street to chase me - *and* it ran in
front of a car to do it. I yelled at the owner inside his house, "I
don't know if you care, but your dog almost died!" The owner yelled
back, I forget what, but I never saw that dog again.

Dogs coming on to the road after a
bicyclist is agressive behavior, report it right away.

Amen.

--
-------- Scott Eiler B{D -------- http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

"It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from Greenwich
Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak."
-- Lin Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
with Suzanne Vega.