Goodbye

Old April 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark Hickey

Default Goodbye

I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
process, however painful.

Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
"jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
to hold any promise of civil discourse.

And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.

Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
increasingly been the target of these attacks.

It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
time goes by.

JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.

Happy trails,

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old April 25th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Just A User

Mark Hickey wrote:
[...]

Sorry to see you go. But enjoy your rides anyway.

Ken
Old April 25th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Mark Hickey a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
[...]

Ciao ! Wear out some tires.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old April 25th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Callistus Valerius

For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.

Happy trails,

Mark Hickey

------------
who the blazes is jt?

Old April 25th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Mark Hickey wrote:

:: So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
:: farewell.

I hate to see you go.

Old April 25th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tosspot

Mark Hickey wrote:
snip

Happy trails,

Hey Mark, pop back and see us inmates from time to time. We may be
howling at the moon and throwing out own faeces at each other, but we'd
love a visit now and again.
Old April 25th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Callistus Valerius wrote:
For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.

Happy trails,

Mark Hickey

------------
who the blazes is jt?

The illustrious John Forrest Tomlinson -- AKA "Flogittodeathlinson" and "The
Disingenuous Snipper" -- long ago plonked by your truly.

Figures he'd be the one to run a regular /contributor/ out of here.

Pity.

Old April 25th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Mark Hickey wrote:
[...]

Will you at least stick around in AM-B?!? PLEEEEEEEZE?!?

Hate to see you go, Mark. I had similar feelings a year or so ago (after
Katrina and helm&t threads, of all things). Decided to plonk abusive
posters (including HWNMNBU) and it's been at least tolerable ever since.

Bill "words to live by: don't let the a-holes get you down" S.

PS: WTH will you do with all that extra time?!? LOL

Old April 25th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Gary Young

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

snip

So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
farewell.

I hope you'll reconsider at some point. I don't agree with your politics,
but I think you've been a voice of reason on matters of bicycle
technology, which this list is purportedly about. The reign of the yippy
dogs seems once step closer with your departure.

Goodbye LMO Recumbent Biking 7 January 17th 07 11:49 AM
Goodbye TdF on OLN wimpyVO2 Racing 32 July 14th 06 03:37 AM
RR. Goodbye old friend freightgod Mountain Biking 3 October 24th 05 01:45 AM
goodbye small change Mountain Biking 8 May 25th 05 05:45 PM
Goodbye thinuniking Unicycling 2 March 3rd 04 08:42 PM