Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

Old April 23rd 18, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Do EVO pads fit in KoolStop holders?

The worn Koolstop pads are 52mm long. Would these fit Koolstop?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ByQAA...KD/s-l1600.jpg

I am a little puzzled by the clip that gets shipped along because
Koolstop only has the set screw.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 24th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/23/2018 5:52 PM, Joerg wrote:
The worn Koolstop pads are 52mm long. Would these fit Koolstop?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ByQAA...KD/s-l1600.jpg

I am a little puzzled by the clip that gets shipped along
because Koolstop only has the set screw.

Those replace this Kool Stop product:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_typeholder.html
inserts:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type.html
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type2.html

If your setup does not include the little wire pins then
maybe, maybe not. What is it that you have now?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 24th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/23/2018 5:52 PM, Joerg wrote:
The worn Koolstop pads are 52mm long. Would these fit Koolstop?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ByQAA...KD/s-l1600.jpg

I am a little puzzled by the clip that gets shipped along
because Koolstop only has the set screw.

Those replace this Kool Stop product:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_typeholder.html
inserts:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type.html
http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_type2.html

If your setup does not include the little wire pins then maybe, maybe
not. What is it that you have now?

They look like this but with the holes in the metal body:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...13353ae498d1cb

You loosen the set screw and the pad slides out the back. However, I
don't want Koolstop stuff anymore. It's expensive, the pads wear quickly
and to top it off the mounting hardware rusts fast. YGWYPF? I don't
think so.

Old April 24th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/24/2018 9:47 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The EVO inserts you referenced earlier are the wrong part.

You probably want these:
http://www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

Product menu in that link is easy to use.

Old April 24th 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks. $10+ is a bit much for those but I saw them on EBay for $8. For
mixed-mode use would you recommend dry (black) or wet (salmon)? I
usually ride in dry weather but often get caught by rain and just plow
through. In the winter when it drizzles I just ride anyhow.

Old April 24th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It doesn't matter -- both pads work fine in wet or dry weather. Get whatever KoolStop pad they have at Sam's Town Cyclery in Shingle Springs. It's right at the end of the trail. Support your local shop. Buy some bottles while you're at it. Quit complaining about $2.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 24th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Good grief! If $2 is that important to you, your business must be failing.
Spend less time posting here, spend more time finding clients. Then support
your LBS.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I don't want any more clients, want less clients, want to retire and
ride. Anyhow, after Jay's response I just ordered the black version for
dry conditions. $7.25, that's an ok price for rim brake pads. Not as low
as Clarks but with these I don't have to install and adjust the whole
thing, just loosen a set screw and swap the rubber parts.

Old April 25th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I think the question is whether you want a cheap pad or an effective
pad. I can buy brake pads locally, actually the entire brake shoe -
pad, holder and nut to hold it on - for approximately 50 cents each,
about a dollar a wheel. They don't last long and they don't stop very
well, but they are cheap.

Or I can buy a Koolstop look alike for about 10 dollars a wheel that
do stop in wet or dry conditions and last a long time.

As somebody once said, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
(But after you make your choice don't whine about it)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 25th 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-04-23 17:11, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I can get KoolStop salmon pads at Western Bikeworks for $6.63 -- less that Joerg's FleaBay purchase. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...inserts?sg=501 I'm a revered member of the Leaders' Club!

I'd go down to the store (which is near my work), get them off the wall -- say "hey" to the guy and gals. I can really drive down the price if I get some of their free micro-roast coffee. In fact, if I bring the wife and kid and get three cups of that fine coffee, I could drive the price down to zero. They also have a beer tap, but I think they charge for that. I've gotten more than $6.63 of free advice from them -- and the head mechanic is the son of an olde tyme bike-head, so he knows all the old lore, and he builds steel frames. Priceless conversations.

If you don't support your stores, they will go away -- particularly stores in a small town like Shingle Springs. Joerg should pay the extra buck and buy local. Nobody is getting rich off his buck.

-- Jay Beattie.

Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting [email protected] UK 5 September 7th 09 04:25 PM
Grey Koolstop pads John Ampleforth Techniques 6 February 2nd 07 06:24 PM
Koolstop brake pads Joel Techniques 9 January 6th 07 10:49 PM
Koolstop pads installation Q. kabes Techniques 1 June 8th 05 03:56 PM
KoolStop Brake Pads kingsley Australia 2 October 5th 04 11:30 PM