changing bike seat height or handle bar height

Old February 25th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default changing bike seat height or handle bar height

I am getting a sore neck from looking up when i am leaning down on my
bike (giant ocr1) with tri bars.
I have the handle bars as low as possible.
2 things i can do to slightly change this angle.
lower seat, this will change my pedaling which seems fine at the
moment.
raise the handle bars, this will be more comfortable, but will create
more drag.
The other option is to lower seat and move it back a bit.
Do any keen cyclists have some pointers or suggestions on this???

Old February 25th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Feb 25, 2:35 pm, wrote:
I am getting a sore neck from looking up when i am leaning down on my
bike (giant ocr1) with tri bars.
I have the handle bars as low as possible.
2 things i can do to slightly change this angle.
lower seat, this will change my pedaling which seems fine at the
moment.
raise the handle bars, this will be more comfortable, but will create
more drag.
The other option is to lower seat and move it back a bit.
Do any keen cyclists have some pointers or suggestions on this???

Do NOT lower the seat to avoid more drag. This will change the
mechanics of your pedal stroke and will probably cause joint pain.
You'll also lose power, and will wind up going slower than if you
raised the bars.

Old February 25th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

its not to avoid drag, it is avoid a sore neck, lying virtually flat
with my head looking up, strains my neck after a 1 hour ride.

Old February 26th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Chait

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am getting a sore neck from looking up when i am leaning down on my
bike (giant ocr1) with tri bars.
I have the handle bars as low as possible.
2 things i can do to slightly change this angle.
lower seat, this will change my pedaling which seems fine at the
moment.
raise the handle bars, this will be more comfortable, but will create
more drag.
The other option is to lower seat and move it back a bit.
Do any keen cyclists have some pointers or suggestions on this???

If you want/need to ride with your back that flat, learn to roll your eyes
up a bit to look ahead so that you give your neck a break.

ed

Old February 26th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

it might be something to do with my sunglasses and my helmet, maybe i
will look at adjusting those.

Old February 26th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 25, 3:35 pm, wrote:
I am getting a sore neck from looking up when i am leaning down on my
bike (giant ocr1) with tri bars.
I have the handle bars as low as possible.
2 things i can do to slightly change this angle.
lower seat, this will change my pedaling which seems fine at the
moment.
raise the handle bars, this will be more comfortable, but will create
more drag.
The other option is to lower seat and move it back a bit.
Do any keen cyclists have some pointers or suggestions on this???

get a stem with ride and accept you will ride better/longer when you
are more comfy, aerodynamics aside. DON'T lower your seat, that may
goon up your knees, hips, etc.