Campy cassettes w/o lock ring?

Old October 19th 03, 11:29 PM
Kovie

Default Campy cassettes w/o lock ring?

I noticed on Campy's site that their road cassettes don't seem to come with
lock rings. They claim that since freehubs come with them, there was no need
to supply them w/cassettes. Is this true? I recently bought a new Mavic
Cosmos wheelset on sale (Colorado Cyclist, $200) and they don't appear to
have a lock ring. Are Campy cassettes compatible with the Cosmos hub, and if
so where do I get a lock ring for it if I go with Campy cassettes? (Maybe I
need to go digging through the box the wheels came in!)

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 19th 03, 11:40 PM
Kovie

The hub did come with a metal silver gasket/washer that fit over the entire
hub and was secured in place with a black rubber o-ring. But it's pretty
thin and has no threads, so it doesn't look like a lock ring to me, unless
THIS is what Campy meant when they said they didn't include it with their
cassettes. But doesn't there have to be some threaded ring that fits over
the smallest cog with the Campy brand name stamped on it, that holds
everything together? Does THIS come with their cassettes?

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 12:32 AM
Kovie

I think I just found the answer to my question. It seems that Campy
cassettes don't work with Shimano-type freewheels, and vice-versa. So the
Cosmos, which come with Shimano-type freehubs, apparently will not accept
Campy cassettes. And Campy-compatible freehubs apparently DO come with a
lock ring.

Is this the case?

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 02:53 AM
Pete Biggs

Kovie wrote:
I think I just found the answer to my question. It seems that Campy
cassettes don't work with Shimano-type freewheels, and vice-versa

That's right, they don't fit Shimano-type hubs

So
the Cosmos, which come with Shimano-type freehubs, apparently will
not accept Campy cassettes. And Campy-compatible freehubs apparently
DO come with a lock ring.

That would make sense but I don't really know about Cosmos hubs.

Campag cassettes do not come with lockrings, Campag hubs do.

If not returning the wheel, Shimano cassette could be used with your
Campag system if you really want although you won't be able to use 10
cogs. Do you have 9 or 10-speed shifters?

~PB

Old October 20th 03, 03:22 AM
Kovie

I'm still in the process of selecting components so all I have are the
wheels and brakes right now. I've done some more research and it looks like
I can keep the Cosmos and just put a Shimano 9 cog cassette on them, and use
them with a Campy Ergo shifter/rder setup.

The only question is whether this works with both the 9 or 10spd Ergos, or
just the 9spd. It would be nice to go with the 10spd, in case I eventually
decide to upgrade to a Campy hub-compatible wheel and get a 10 cog cassette.

Alternatively, I've heard that there are 3rd party 10 cog cassettes that
fits on a Shimano hub. Know anything about those? Either way, I'd prefer a
10spd Ergo to a 9spd, but am not sure if it's compatible with a 9 cog
Shimano cassette.

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 03:34 AM
Meccanico di Bici

-Kovie,
Campag cassettes do not come with lockrings. Your Mavic wheel set
should come with one intended to be used with it.
--Jim
Old October 20th 03, 03:58 AM
Kovie

It didn't as far as I can tell. Don't Shimano cassettes come with LR's,
unlike Campy's?

--
Kovie
zen

om...

Old October 20th 03, 04:01 AM
Pete Biggs

Kovie wrote:
I'm still in the process of selecting components so all I have are the
wheels and brakes right now. I've done some more research and it
looks like I can keep the Cosmos and just put a Shimano 9 cog
cassette on them, and use them with a Campy Ergo shifter/rder setup.

The only question is whether this works with both the 9 or 10spd
Ergos, or just the 9spd.

Just 9sp unless something is modified..........

It would be nice to go with the 10spd, in
case I eventually decide to upgrade to a Campy hub-compatible wheel
and get a 10 cog cassette.

Alternatively, I've heard that there are 3rd party 10 cog cassettes
that fits on a Shimano hub. Know anything about those? Either way,
I'd prefer a 10spd Ergo to a 9spd, but am not sure if it's compatible
with a 9 cog Shimano cassette.

Marchsio make cassettes and sprockets that can be customized and spaced
any way you like. I don't think there's room for 10 cogs on the hub
though, but 9 with 10sp spacers could be used with 10sp shifters by
locking the 1st position out with the derailleur.
See: http://anysystem.de
and www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

Personally, I would try to swap those wheels right now: either with the
supplier or a cyclist who's switching from Campag to Shimano.

~PB

Old October 20th 03, 04:29 AM
boudreaux

Kovie wrote:
[...]
message :bmvevf$rn6-
Kovie wrote:
I think I just found the answer to my question. It seems that Campy
cassettes don't work with Shimano-type freewheels, and vice-versa

That's right, they don't fit Shimano-type hubs

So the Cosmos, which come with Shimano-type freehubs, apparently
will not accept Campy cassettes. And Campy-compatible freehubs
apparently DO come with a lock ring.

That would make sense but I don't really know about Cosmos hubs.

Campag cassettes do not come with lockrings, Campag hubs do.

If not returning the wheel, Shimano cassette could be used with your
Campag system if you really want although you won't be able to use 10
cogs. Do you have 9 or 10-speed shifters?

~PB

Shimano 9 speed cog spcing is 4.34mm and Campy 9 is 4.55mm. campy 10
is 4.12mm.There are compatibility issues in mixing shimano and campy
stuff even tho both are 9 sped.They have different shifter cable
pull/derailer throw ratios. Having said that, a shimano 9 speed
cassette and chain usually works ok with a Campy 9 speed shifter and
RD, because the spacing is close enough to allow it. You can also use
a campy 10 shifter with a shimano RD, 9 speed chain and cassette by
using an alternate cable mount position as described in an article on
tandem gearing at www.hubbub.com[/url] Given your appaent limited
knowledge base,I think I think you should stick with one manufactures
componrents and sidestep alot of frustration, not to mention throwing
some money away on stuff that does not work together. There are also
aftermarket cassettes thet will get 9 or 10 campy spaced cogs on a
shimano 9 speed hub, and ]www.excelsports.com has them.

Old October 20th 03, 05:32 AM
Kovie

There are also aftermarket cassettes thet will get 9 or 10 campy spaced
cogs on a shimano 9 speed hub, and ]www.excelsports.com has them.

Short of swapping my Shimano-compatible wheels for Campy-compatible wheels,
isn't this the most sensible not to mention flexible way to combine Campy
shifters with Shimano hubs? If I understand you correctly, I'd get a Campy
10spd drivetrain on a Shimano hub. Any drawbacks to such a setup, other than
that it would technically not be all-Campy?

--
Kovie
zen