Torpedo 3 speed

Old October 30th 05, 07:29 PM
Rasmus Strand

Default Torpedo 3 speed

Hi,

I have two bikes with Torpedo 3 speed hubs (model 3111,
http://www.3gang.de/3-gang/mod3111.html), but I can't get one of them
working properly, even though they appear to be perfectly the same. The
problem is that when I push the pedals hard I hear a strange sound, as if
the hub wasn't properly tightened, but even when I "overtighten" it, the
sound persists.

If you think you know what the problem can be, don't hesitate to reply.

Regards,
Rasmus

Old October 30th 05, 09:20 PM
Günther Schwarz

Rasmus Strand wrote:

I have two bikes with Torpedo 3 speed hubs (model 3111,
http://www.3gang.de/3-gang/mod3111.html), but I can't get one of them
working properly, even though they appear to be perfectly the same.
The problem is that when I push the pedals hard I hear a strange
sound, as if the hub wasn't properly tightened, but even when I
"overtighten" it, the sound persists.

In which gear does that happen? You certainly did play a bit with the
tension of the shifter cable. If the gears are not engaged properly the
hub will be noisy and probably failing soon. Try with a very slack
cable first in order to check if the hub is working without strange
noises in high gear.

Günther
Old October 30th 05, 11:43 PM
Rasmus Strand

I have two bikes with Torpedo 3 speed hubs (model 3111,
http://www.3gang.de/3-gang/mod3111.html), but I can't get one of them
working properly, even though they appear to be perfectly the same.
The problem is that when I push the pedals hard I hear a strange
sound, as if the hub wasn't properly tightened, but even when I
"overtighten" it, the sound persists.

In which gear does that happen? You certainly did play a bit with the
tension of the shifter cable. If the gears are not engaged properly the
hub will be noisy and probably failing soon. Try with a very slack
cable first in order to check if the hub is working without strange
noises in high gear.

Günther

It was misbehaving in all gears, but I've figured it out now. I "just"
changed the ball rings and the driver, and the problem vanished. I bet the
small ball ring inside the driver was the problem.

Rasmus