Sachs 2 speed torpedo overdrive ratio

Old August 27th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb

Default Sachs 2 speed torpedo overdrive ratio

I have a folding bike with a Sachs 2 speed overdrive hub. The ratio
doesn't appear on Sheldon's site for the 2 speed, although the 3 speed
is shown there with a 1.36:1 ratio. I've taped the sprocket and hub
and counted revolutions and it appears to be 1.36:1 as in the 3 speed.
Can anyone confirm this 1.36:1 ratio for the 2 speed?

FWIW: the bike has 203-62 tires and a 100T beltring and 30T sprocket,
so if that 1.36:1 ratio is correct, would put high gear at 59 gear
inches over the 42 gear inch low.

--
meb

Old August 28th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
meb wrote:

I have a folding bike with a Sachs 2 speed overdrive hub. The ratio
doesn't appear on Sheldon's site for the 2 speed, although the 3 speed
is shown there with a 1.36:1 ratio. I've taped the sprocket and hub
and counted revolutions and it appears to be 1.36:1 as in the 3 speed.
Can anyone confirm this 1.36:1 ratio for the 2 speed?

FWIW: the bike has 203-62 tires and a 100T beltring and 30T sprocket,
so if that 1.36:1 ratio is correct, would put high gear at 59 gear
inches over the 42 gear inch low.

I don't know either (I have a Duomatic, the fun kickback-shifter), but
your tape test sounds pretty decisive.

You might get more accurate results with a rollout test. The easy way to
measure the exact rolling circumference of the tire is to put a drip of
paint on the ground and ride over it. The next paint-mark will give you
the circumference.

Old August 28th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb

Ryan Cousineau Wrote:
In article ,
meb wrote:

[...]

I guess a rollout might be the way to get some more precision.
However, wouldn't the tire, particularly a small diameter 203, be prone
to significant dynamic changes in diameter due to loading, pressure
changes, wear- more so than a 20/26/700C tire?

This one is also a kickback shifting. More sensitive than my
preference- a fraction of a cm on the pedals changes gears-so I get a
lot of premature upshifts and downshifts. At least it's easy to
correct the involuntary shifts.

Thanks.

--
meb

Old August 28th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
meb wrote:

Ryan Cousineau Wrote:
In article ,
meb wrote:

[...]

Roll-out distance depends on load and tire pressu

A 622x25 wheel, about 780 mm in diameter.

Rider and bicycle mass: 80 kg
Wheel circumference: 2125 mm
Roll out, 120 psi: 2107 mm
Roll out, 90 psi: 2099 mm

--
Michael Press

CVT interest [email protected] Racing 116 June 23rd 06 11:08 PM
CVT interest [email protected] Techniques 125 June 23rd 06 11:08 PM
Rear Mech Advice wanted Julesh UK 53 May 17th 06 10:12 AM
Why is the BBC giving space to this twit? dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 75 April 22nd 04 10:30 AM
8 speed STI levers Rik O'Shea Techniques 7 October 8th 03 01:17 AM