Torpedo 3 speed hub indexing help please

Old January 7th 10, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Torpedo 3 speed hub indexing help please

Dear All,

My wife's Brompton has a Torpedo (Spectro Sachs/Sram) 3 speed hub
which no longer seems to index.

Am I correct in assuming the indexing occurs with the shifter?

If so has the shifter worn out?

Or have I got to do something with the hub itself??

I had a quick look to see if I could find any answers online without
success.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Nick
Old January 8th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks Ian.

Yes it doesn't appear to index at all, I'm assuming the lever has had
it then?

I might see if I can take the lever apart and repair if possible.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something simple and you've
helped a lot, thanks!

Best wishes,

Nick
Old January 8th 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, wrote:
Thanks Ian.

Yes it doesn't appear to index at all, I'm assuming the lever has had
it then?

Sounds like it.

I might see if I can take the lever apart and repair if possible.

You might be lucky - something might have jumped out of place or got
stuck rather than broken or worn away, but it's unlikely you'll get
parts for it if anything needs replacing.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old January 8th 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Many thanks Ian!!
Old January 8th 10, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bookieb

On Jan 7, 1:45*pm, wrote:
Dear All,

My wife's Brompton has a Torpedo (Spectro Sachs/Sram) 3 speed hub
which no longer seems to index.

Am I correct in assuming the indexing occurs with the shifter?

If so has the shifter worn out?

Or have I got to do something with the hub itself??

I had a quick look to see if I could find any answers online without
success.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

I think that a broken, very slack, or jammed cable (with enough slack
on the lever side of the jam) may also produce that "free at the
lever" feeling.

When you pull the lever (even if it won't stay where you pull it to),
can you see the cable move back at the hub?

There were a couple of different levers over the years to go with that
hub, but the one that I am familiar with relied on tension from the
cable to keep the lever in the index slots.

This doesn't address the lever directly, but may be of some help in
chasing down the problem or getting it back into adjustment:
http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...GHS_MY05_E.pdf

hth,

bookieb.
Old January 12th 10, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Many thanks for all replies.

I fixed it!

I took the shifter apart to discover the torsion spring had popped of
the ratchet catch so it wasn't ratcheting any more.

I popped it back on and it was fixed within 5 minutes.

If only all repairs were so simple!!

Best wishes,

Nick