Why is street unicycling dead ?

Old September 12th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maxisback

Default Why is street unicycling dead ?

Well, after taking a break of unicycling im kinda riding again, I can
still do everything I used to + a little bit. But comming back on the
forums it kinda made me go WTF. What happend to street ? All I see is
flat flat flat flat and flat. No I dont think flat is easy its actually
quite hard. But my question is. How does anyone get any kind of a rush
from flat ? Am I the only person on these forums that enjoys an
adrenaline rush ?? I mean jee, it took me for ever so find a video of
someone grinding a handrail, I gave up and watched defect. Anyhow, now
that I looked at the forums I really dont understand, going flatland
will NOT help unicycling get bigger . Not what so ever. Argue with me
all you want but people nowadays want a rush. For example, lets take
skateboarding. Look at when it started, ''old school'' is all flat. The
evolution of it was the big stair cases, the handrails and the vert.
Sure flat land does give us new tricks but I just dont see what is sooo
fun about doing a crank roll and doing a 360 and landing back on the
pedals. I really dont. Someone please Explain to me . I'm not bashing
on anyone not bashing on flat land at ALL its not bad to watch once or
twice a week. I just really do not see how everyone on here enjoys
doing it so much ? IMO what is happening is that we are seeing alot
more younger riders. I could be wrong, I just skipped threw a couple
threads and looked at people's age and that is what I got out of it.
Anyhow, im sad to see what happend to the amazing sport of unicycling.

P.S

sorry for all my typos and grammar errors. If you're only going to
reply to laugh at them get a life man go work or something.

--
maxisback

Hey ur mom is my signature
Old September 12th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

Wow... that was quite a rant there

I'm still a proud street rider. I like doing flat occasionally, but I
much prefer tricking down 3 and 4 sets... not much of a handrailer or
anything though.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca
Old September 12th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maxisback

Rant ? sure why not, and sorry, but 3 or 4 sets, not saying you suck or
that I'm better, but still no rush from that.

--
maxisback

Hey ur mom is my signature
Old September 12th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

maxisback wrote:
[...]

I feel you man. Street is definately where its at. I mean flats cool
and all, but its just to slow. Big stairs and rails is where it's at.

--
Michaelgoround
Old September 12th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maxisback

well, these forums really dint change that much, no one can provide good
info.

--
maxisback

Hey ur mom is my signature
Old September 12th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

maxisback wrote:
Rant ? sure why not, and sorry, but 3 or 4 sets, not saying you suck or
that I'm better, but still no rush from that.

I can easily do more(obviously), but I just get this rush that you are
describing more from doing advanced flip tricks down 3 or 4 sets (or
the occasional 5er). simply jumping an 8 or 9 set is just plane boring
for me, and is often a waste of equipment. Crankflipping a 8 set is
fine though

Old September 12th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

glad to see you back!

if you break stuff off of an 8 set, your technique sucks and you need
to improve it big time.

the only time i've wasted equipment on big jumps was my first 9 set
attempt (slightly taco'd a BMX rim) and a seat post over my truck (i
count that as a bigger stairset jump)

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
yourself.
Old September 12th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

maxisback wrote:
well, these forums really dint change that much, no one can provide good
info.

Well its simple. Don't spit out crap expecting to be fed anything
better.

Flatland is rewarding. Its a challenge. Just like learning to ride a
unicycle for the first time. Unicycles were fun before street was
around, and there are many things about unicycle that is fun besides
street.

I as well enjoy an adrenaline rush from time to time, but I like
unicycling more often than I am willing to risk my well being. I need
my limbs for work, and well I need them for unicycling. Sprain an ankle
and you gotta take time off.
Don't get me wrong street is where its at, IMO. I think that is the
best discipline from a marketing/jaw dropping stand point.

However you coming back around talking smack and expecting this place
to live up to your hopes and dreams, is porlly not the most appropriate
way for you to say you like street unicycling more than flat. There are
plenty of sweet street vids, yea not enough, but is a pretty small
sport and not all of us are out there breaking bones and crushing rims
everyday.

...and tech tricks down a 3 or 4 is way more awesome than gapping a 9.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old September 12th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

agentQ wrote:
...and tech tricks down a 3 or 4 is way more awesome than gapping a 9.

i disagree, i've seen about 6 ppl put out videos with an 8 set or
bigger, and about 30 capable of doing some tech down a 3 or 4 set.

ppl are turning into wimps.
thats all there is to it.

i want Kevin McMullin to come post in this thread
... sorry about the name drop, but he's the craziest street rider there
is in my eyes, eat crap HARD, only to get up and do it again... till he
nails something.

Old September 12th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

agentQ wrote:

I as well enjoy an adrenaline rush from time to time, but I like
unicycling more often than I am willing to risk my well being. I need
my limbs for work, and well I need them for unicycling. Sprain an ankle
and you gotta take time off.

Funny thing is my two worst injuries have come from freestyle tricks!

I went out for a really good street ride at the skatepark yesterday and
I got way better. It was a lot of fun because I was hitting grinds and
stuff that usually took me a whole bunch of tries. I might do some
filming in the next while but I'm not sure its worth the trouble. Still
some fun handrails, curved bank ledges and 8 set grinds are fun, not to
mention a bunch of other street stuff I've gotten a lot better at to be
left in the dark for a bit.

If you want really good street vids though I think Luke, Hugo and Pele
have been busting out the best stuff as of late. Shaun and Kelly's
parts in Rounds 1 and 2 are pretty awesome too!

Pele has been busting out some pretty crazy stuff down smaller sets, so
I think he doesn't fall under the usual category, plus there is a
difference between big street and good street. One takes balls over
skill (yes skill is required though) and the other is skill over balls.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)