TdF reportage

Old July 15th 09, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default TdF reportage

wrote:
I watched the descent of the Tourmalet, the camera focused on a lead
breakaway rider pedaling hard at a cadence of 60-70rpm, with the
announcer claiming he was traveling at 60-65mph. [what size sprockets
does that take?]

Damned good question. I just took a downhill at 35 MPH upright on a
mountain bike with a 48/11 combo and could barely pedal that fast, much
less add any power or speed. The hill was about 12% to 15% and fairly
short but no matter what the gears I could not imagine pedaling slowly
at 60-65 MPH. Maybe he was just moving his legs to keep blood flowing. I
admit to doing that sometimes on a long downhill where trying to pedal
would be a waste of time.

Having ridden the Galibier where Phil Liggett has in
years past claimed descending speeds of 60mph I am certain that was
bluster, because coasting as fast as possible I and my ride companion
could barely achieve 40mph, the descent not being steep enough to go
any faster. Even farther down, on the curvy, not steep enough,
Telegraph. From experience 60mph requires at least a 13% grade as
straight sections of the Fedaia and Rombo passes in Italy have. In
contrast, most roads that steep are not straight enough for speeds
above 35mph.

Beyond that, the strung out chasing field, all pedaling hard, are
apparently not shown in real time, because they appear to be traveling
over 40mph through curves without leaning into them significantly.

Marketing!

Jobst Brandt

No argument. I think a multiple gear arrangement would be needed for
anything much over 45 to 50 MPH, pro or not.

Bill Baka
Old July 16th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark[_17_]

On Jul 15, 4:28*am, Bill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Check out last week's Men Pro Race at Massachusetts Fitrchburg/Longsjo
Classic on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56BMBdjo1w.

The radar gun was calibrated by the police just before the event.
Many of the pros were riding 54 X 11 for the high speed descents
Old July 16th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Mark wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:28 am, Bill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I looked at it and honestly can't tell if they were pedaling or not.
I have a 58 tooth chain-ring that I can toodle at about 12 MPH on the
flats but haven't tried it on a descent. Even with a 58/11 I don't know
if I could cadence that fast on a 55 MPH downhill. I max at about 80 to
90 except for a short sit down sprint. I can't cadence that high while
standing.
I'm still not sure.

Bill Baka
Old July 16th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
RicodJour

On Jul 15, 10:57*pm, wrote:
Mark my words wrote:
[...]

So! How do you achieve a speed like 100kmh+ pedaling that ratio at
60-70 rpm? *I have coasted down the Fedaia and Rombo passes at over
100kmh with a 50-13 engaged, but not pedaling because I cannot spin at
a rate well over 120rpm and why should I? *Just evaluating what power
would be required to affect such a speed makes the whole idea
preposterous.

Didn't see what you were watching, but I believe that they're called
freewheels for a reason. They could be pedaling and not applying any
force at all. Not sure that's what was happening, but you asked how.

Old July 16th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

wrote:
Mark my words wrote:

[...]

Kind of what I meant. My old Peugeot had maybe a 52/11 and I could not
keep up the cadence at 45-?? MPH at 15 years old going downhill so why
try? The few cars I did pass were on the steep sections of highway 9 and
I coasted by at about 50?? after drafting as close as I dared. You must
know that section of road since it is a popular place to get an 1,800
foot climb in and have a roach coach and a few guys on bicycles or
Harleys to BS with at the top. I rode a motorcycle up once and dumped it
on a small oil patch making a left turn to the Harley crowd at maybe 3
MPH and they all laughed their asses off. Major embarrassing but a few
of them admitted to really dumb things happening to them too. One guy
had his leather jacket tucked behind his seat and it got caught in the
rear tire at 45 MPH and took him down, so I am not the only one with
random bad luck.
Summit road is a nice ride but going down Big Bear road can be deadly
due to the switchbacks. Too bad it dumps out onto highway 17 and I had
to ride back up.
I think you know the roads.

Cheers,
Bill Baka

TdF reportage Bill General 0 July 15th 09 09:35 AM
TdF reportage raamman General 0 July 14th 09 03:42 PM
TdF reportage raamman Rides 0 July 14th 09 03:42 PM