Do more Americans ride bike on the road or sidewalk?

Old September 1st 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

Default Do more Americans ride bike on the road or sidewalk?

Marz schrieb:
6, Drivers are terrified of being sued into bankruptcy and will
usually pass by at least 4ft.

Downside: _if_ an accident happens, they don't have sufficent 3rd party
insurance, but this can be compensated by having a good insurance yourself.

Here in Texas, once your insurance runs out (all car insurance is very
limited), your home and personal wealth can be targeted to pay a
claim. And if there's any medical bills to cover it can get very
expensive very quickly. For example, 4 hours in ER for my daughter
produced a bill of $3500.

Also, I don't think 3rd party insurance exists for cyclists. Only some
coverage under Home Owners or Car insurance. (I''m still googling
this)

I meant the 3rd party insurance of the car driver, and by "a good
insurance yourself" I meant health insurance etc.
Old September 1st 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Aug 30, 12:31*am, "Jack May" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

On Aug 29, 12:42 pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:

The sidewalk is not part of the road?

No. A "sidewalk" is separated from the road, usually by a strip of
grass maybe 2-4 meters. In business districts, the sidewalk will be
raised above street level.

If there is a space for walking at the side of the road, at the same
level of the asphalt, this would be called a "shoulder". This might
be a paved shoulder or a gravel shoulder.

I think we should back to the horse... No pollution, plenty of
fertilizer and can handle the lack of sidewalks.

Ah, and no more paved parking lots in America.

-------
It cost about $50K per year to own a horse for vet bills, feed, stables,
etc. *

And don't forget you have to get rid of all the horse manure, urine
and soiled bedding. NO polution?

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old September 1st 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

" Also, I don't think 3rd party insurance exists for cyclists. Only
some
coverage under Home Owners or Car insurance. (I''m still googling
this)

It exists here in Britain. I have it three times over. Bikes are so
unlikely to cause damage to third parties that the premiums are
extremely low, low enough for a number of bike organizations to offer
the insurance free as a membership benefit.

I get my insurance through the CTC (Cyclists Touring Club), Audax UK,
and the London Cycling Campaign

Jeremy Parker