Q-Factor of Sugino cranks?

Old August 14th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Default Q-Factor of Sugino cranks?

So, I need a set of square taper 140mm cranks, and I want alloy ones
with zero Q. Are there any out there?

I saw 'these Suginos' (http://tinyurl.com/2kq2zz), but I can't tell
what the Q-factor is from the pic. Anyone else out there have them and
can comment?

Thanks.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

I have a set of them and yes they do have some Q but I dont know exactly
how much

--
Daytripper63
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

onelesscar wrote:
So, I need a set of square taper 140mm cranks, and I want alloy ones
with zero Q. Are there any out there?

I saw 'these Suginos' (http://tinyurl.com/2kq2zz), but I can't tell
what the Q-factor is from the pic. Anyone else out there have them and
can comment?

Thanks.

Yep, they definitely have Q. I've been very happy with the Torker LX
Aluminum cranks; they have zero Q. Not sure though if they come exactly
140mm.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

MuniAddict wrote:
Yep, they definitely have Q. I've been very happy with the Torker LX
Aluminum cranks; they have zero Q. Not sure though if they come exactly
140mm.

Thanks, Terry! I forgot about the LX cranks. I hope they'll be strong
enough for cokering uphill *crosses fingers*

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

onelesscar wrote:
Thanks, Terry! I forgot about the LX cranks. I hope they'll be strong
enough for cokering uphill *crosses fingers*

I've done lots of climbing but use the 127's, which I love! I suppose
the longer they are, the more chance that they can bend/break under
pressure, but I've done fairly big drops with my alum. sugino 165's
with no problem. I'm getting ready to order LX 152's and 170's for
coker muni at CMW and the San Fran ride in Sept!

Old August 14th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

MuniAddict wrote:
I've done lots of climbing but use the 127's, which I love! I suppose
the longer they are, the more chance that they can bend/break under
pressure, but I've done fairly big drops with my alum. sugino 165's
with no problem. I'm getting ready to order LX 152's and 170's for
coker muni at CMW and the San Fran ride in Sept!

Yeah, I'm getting some longer cranks for the SF ride too. Living in
the valley, though, I'm having trouble finding hills to practice on
, the best I can come up with are parking garages and
highway overpasses

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

onelesscar wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting some longer cranks for the SF ride too. Living in the
valley, though, I'm having trouble finding hills to practice on
, the best I can come up with are parking garages and
highway overpasses

Sometimes I practice "speed-climbing" at the local park. There's a
pretty steep [grass covered] hill that's good 'n steep, but not very
long, so I practice mulitple laps up/down, sort of like doing swimming
pool laps, but I don't get quite as wet lol!

Old August 14th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

Terry,

Do those Sugino 170's look like they could be drilled for 145 also?
I'm looking for a set for that reason. The ProWheel 170's look close,
but I'm going to modify them this week and see. I just don't like all
the Q with the longer cranks.

Maybe the LX 170's would be able to be drilled 145?

Thanks.

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I like the craftsmanship. They do have a lot of Q. It's a bit tricky
trying to measure with them installed. I fumbled with a straight edge
and caliper, measuring a q of 10 to 12 mm.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 14th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

ahollow wrote:
Terry,

Do those Sugino 170's look like they could be drilled for 145 also?
I'm looking for a set for that reason. The ProWheel 170's look close,
but I'm going to modify them this week and see. I just don't like all
the Q with the longer cranks.

Maybe the LX 170's would be able to be drilled 145?

Thanks.

I basically discovered that since the UDC hub is soooo wide, cranks with
any Q factor at all is overkill and not necessary, at least for me. I'm
not sure if there's sufficient room to drill the suginos, but it looks
like it would be close. The LX cranks appear too narrow to drill.