New Weight-loss method: "Unicycling!"

Old November 12th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default New Weight-loss method: "Unicycling!"

Prior to starting riding, which for me has been 95% MUni, I was getting
a double chin and a bit of a "spare tire" on my waist! So, 20
months ago, at age 50, I made a commitment to get in shape, and try to
stay that way.

Muni, and uni in general, has been the best thing for my health, both
mental & physical that I've ever done, and it has opened a whole new
world for me! I've met the greatest group of people on these forums,
having met many in person at various events, and it's just been so
rewarding in so many ways!

So, below is a "before & after" pic. On the left is me at age 49, about
a year -before- starting Muni. The pic on the right is about a year
-after- starting, at age 51.

I went from 166 to my current 144 and dropped from a 34" waist to 30".
I think the difference is pretty dramatic.
If only somebody could write a "Uni weight-loss" book that would sell
to the masses, it might make a million!

I'm sure many others reading this have similar stories to share about
how Uni-ing has improved your quality of life, so post your experiences
here and let us know!

PS: The ironic thing is that while I lost weight, my cat "Morty" got a
tad larger! Maybe I need to have a custom uni made for him too!

|Filename: then now.JPG |

MuniAddict
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
qhxakg

Wow thats pretty cool it looks like you and a brother or something. you
can really tell the difference in your face.
congratulation

--
qhxakg

If somebody tells you your tricks are gay, ask them if they are an
expert in gay trickery.
-Ivan-
~o"o~'Unicycle for The Flying Spaghetti Monster'
(http://www.venganza.org/)~o"o~
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

MuniAddict wrote:
PS: The ironic thing is that while I lost weight, my cat "Morty" got a
tad larger! Maybe I need to have a custom uni made for him too!

Morty needs to learn how to pose in a manner that makes him look
slimmer. Just like all the other cats do in the weight loss before and
after pictures.

I've seen pictures of cats on invisible bikes. Morty could learn to
ride an invisible unicycle. Getting the photographic proof though is
challenging.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

Are you trying to kill the cat?

Anywho cheers to your weight loss. And I can find just one problem
with your uni weight loss theory, people are to lazy to ride their b*ke
5 miles to the store to get a prescription filled or pick up a gallon
of milk, do you really think that they would take the time to learn to
ride a unicycle?

--
Joe2005

nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

i know. he was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the
biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed
the plane on the earth surface. he was the one who killed the
dinosaurs. -ivan
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

Good going, Terry.

I went from 185 last January when I started riding to 170 by March, and
I've been steady at that weight since. I try to ride 3 or 4 times a
week, going 8 to 15 miles each time, depending on what uni (24, 29, 36)
I take and how much time I have to ride.

I plan to spend this winter learning the details of hopping, side
jumps, etc, since I would like to do more real muni than just the x-c
trails I've been doing.

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

MuniAddict wrote:
The ironic thing is that while I lost weight, my cat "Morty" got a tad
larger!

As with humans, portion control is essential to keeping pets at their
ideal weight. Even if you're feeding him a "weight maintenance" food,
you'll need to measure each serving you feed him. I just keep a
measuring scoop in my cat's food bag to make sure I give him the
correct portion at each meal.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 12th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

Maybe Morty was younger and smaller in the first picture.

Maybe we should just skip Terry, and make this thread about Morty.

--
forrestunifreak

I will, because I can.
'*-My Gallery-*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl)
*www.qu-ax.com* *unicycle for
christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Yes, you were definitely blurrier in your pre-unicycling days.

Unfortunately clothing masks your bodily improvements for the most
part, but we who ride understand. I was also stricken by how your
cabinets look exactly like the "before" of our kitchen, a few years
ago. Now we not only have an "after," but the designers that did it
proudly show our cabinets on 'their web site'
(http://www.markfuoco.com/slideshows/...Slideshow.html) (it's
slide #s 4 and 5, red kitchen with white cabinets). We did away with
the slide-up corner thingie.

Unicycling for weight loss is great. I hope Daytripper63 will chime in
here with his experiences. But getting non-unicyclists to learn to ride
for that reason might be a tough sell. You ride a lot because you
*like* unicycling. If you didn't you probably wouldn't do it as much.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

forrestunifreak wrote:
Maybe Morty was younger and smaller in the first picture.

Maybe we should just skip Terry, and make this thread about Morty.

Hey I'll go for that! I just made this yesterday, so here's Morty as he
is today in: -"Instant Mortification"-. Actually, Mort is in terrific
shape and not overweight. It just looks that way in the still shot. (I
know, I know, my room's a mess, haha!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZVjYt-B6Go

--
MuniAddict
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rubix

nice vid of morty, seems like a really cool cat.

I've lost about 15 lbs over the sumer unicycling. and I see more coming
off slowly each week due to my long rides. I'm sitting at 230...down
from 245 - 250ish from June. So i think it helps a ton, not to mention
gets you in shape pretty quickly.

--
Rubix

Unicycle