torque wrench issues

Old April 22nd 17, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default torque wrench issues

Emanuel Berg wrote in :

(Nm as well as "FT-LB", some English unit I take it?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 22nd 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

(Nm as well as "FT-LB", some English unit
I take it?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)

Good article! Pseudovector...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 22nd 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2017 9:45 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Andrew Chaplin wrote:

(Nm as well as "FT-LB", some English unit
I take it?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)

Good article! Pseudovector...

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 22nd 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

(Nm as well as "FT-LB", some English unit
I take it?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)

Good article! Pseudovector...

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

Myold snappy is so old I can't even get it calibrated any more - but
last time I checked it was still within less than 5 ft lb at 100
Old April 22nd 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

(Nm as well as "FT-LB", some English unit
I take it?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_(torque)

Good article! Pseudovector...

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I've had mine for ever. The previous kind simply had a torque meter.
Old April 23rd 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

Never heard of Snap-on Tools. Is it a quality
brand made in the US? Do they actually
manufacture the tools in the US or is it
a matter of getting the gear from Asia and then
putting a sticker on it? If they do R&D in the
US I suppose there is some cred to it, however
in the long run that must pose a problem the
more you are disattached from actual floor work
because many good ideas appear there and not in
front of a computer... Optimally you'd like the
floor AND the computer!

Old April 23rd 17, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/22/2017 7:35 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

Never heard of Snap-on Tools. Is it a quality
brand made in the US? Do they actually
manufacture the tools in the US or is it
a matter of getting the gear from Asia and then
putting a sticker on it? If they do R&D in the
US I suppose there is some cred to it, however
in the long run that must pose a problem the
more you are disattached from actual floor work
because many good ideas appear there and not in
front of a computer... Optimally you'd like the
floor AND the computer!

In America, Snap-On tools are frequently judged to be The Best. At
least around here, a distinctive Snap-On truck will periodically visit
shops that have a business relationship with the company. Mechanics
(for instance) will buy tools they need from the driver of the truck.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 23rd 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Mac and Herbrand used to have "wagon jobbers" as well. Herbrand is
apparently gone - I still see the MAC trucks on the road. I bought a
fair bit of Herbrand years ago. Ralph Clark was the local dealer for
as long as I can remember, and there was no nicer, more accomodating
guy in the business. He was a lot easier to deal with than the
numerous Snappies that came and went - the prices were better than
Snappy, and the quality was excellent.

My original base tool kit was Craftsman back in 1969.
Old April 23rd 17, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 01:35:40 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

This expert:
http://www.tmj4.com/news/photos-pres...ers-in-kenosha

Recommends these:
http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.co...e-wrenches.htm

Never heard of Snap-on Tools. Is it a quality
brand made in the US? Do they actually
manufacture the tools in the US or is it
a matter of getting the gear from Asia and then
putting a sticker on it? If they do R&D in the
US I suppose there is some cred to it, however
in the long run that must pose a problem the
more you are disattached from actual floor work
because many good ideas appear there and not in
front of a computer... Optimally you'd like the
floor AND the computer!

Snap-on is a tool manufacturer that sells top grade tools, and very
expensive tools they are too. They also own at least one company that
makes and sells a cheaper brand.

They guarantee their tools. I can't say for private owner but for one
project, where "Snap-on or equal" was specified we bought about
$100,000 worth of tools and for the entire 10 year contract shipped
any tool that broke to them in Jakarta and they shipped the
replacement back to the site. No questions asked.
Old April 23rd 17, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

They also, or perhaps the truck owners, used to sell tools on the
"never-never". Five bucks today and five next week and you are the
owner of this stunning box wrench :-)

It took a pretty strong willed mechanic to withstand the lure :-)

TORQUE WRENCH ? kolldata Techniques 3 June 22nd 11 04:04 AM
Torque Wrench Use Graham Sharman Techniques 11 July 3rd 07 11:04 PM
which torque wrench? Steve Watkin UK 69 September 1st 06 04:54 PM