Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": _Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature_

Old April 10th 04, 05:11 PM
Mike Vandeman

Default Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": _Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature_

Stanford, Craig, Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for
Human Nature. New York, N.Y.: Basic Books, 2001.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes. Significant
Others is a field guide to the current state of our understanding of both human
and ape nature and to the debates now raging in the fields of primate behavior
and human evolution." p.xviii. "Contrary to our popular belief, people who rely
on forest resources for a living do not necessarily try to conserve it. … A
second myth … is that economic improvements necessarily lead people to protect
their forests and wildlife." pp.195-6.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old April 10th 04, 07:04 PM
Micheal Artindale

..
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes.

Takes one to know one.

to quote a bumper sticker "If you object to logging, try wiping your ass
with plastic toilet paper!! "

Go hug a tree, and leave the rest of us alone.

Micheal
(someone who loves the outdoors but lives in the real world)

Old April 10th 04, 08:12 PM
Ian St. John

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message

.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes.

Takes one to know one.

We don't take your confession too seriously. Even granted that you are an
ape or have the intelligence of one, it is hard to determine who is on the
other end of a post.

to quote a bumper sticker "If you object to logging, try wiping your ass
with plastic toilet paper!! "

Paper does not come from logging of timberlands. It comes from treefarms
mostly. Areas dedicated to growing trees as a crop, no different than any
other farmland. Continuous supply, rather than opportunistic exploitation is
the rule. But then, you are really ignorant of the facts aren't you?

Go hug a tree, and leave the rest of us alone.

The majority of sane people value the environments so the 'rest of us' you
refer to must mean those in mental institutions like yourself?

Micheal
(someone who loves the outdoors but lives in the real world)

Is that what they call the rubber room these days? My. My. Perhaps they will
let you into the wider outdoors ( presumably the recreation room ) soon and
you can experience it again.

Old April 10th 04, 08:34 PM
Micheal Artindale

"Ian St. John" wrote in message

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message

.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes.

Takes one to know one.

We don't take your confession too seriously. Even granted that you are an
ape or have the intelligence of one, it is hard to determine who is on the
other end of a post.

I meant him, not me

to quote a bumper sticker "If you object to logging, try wiping your ass
with plastic toilet paper!! "

Paper does not come from logging of timberlands. It comes from treefarms
mostly. Areas dedicated to growing trees as a crop, no different than any
other farmland. Continuous supply, rather than opportunistic exploitation

is
the rule. But then, you are really ignorant of the facts aren't you?

Funny we have no such "farms" in Ontario Canada. We do have BUSH, aka dence
forest.

Go hug a tree, and leave the rest of us alone.

The majority of sane people value the environments so the 'rest of us' you
refer to must mean those in mental institutions like yourself?

Micheal
(someone who loves the outdoors but lives in the real world)

Is that what they call the rubber room these days? My. My. Perhaps they

will
let you into the wider outdoors ( presumably the recreation room ) soon

and
you can experience it again.

Gotta love them bouncy walls, they keep my head intact

On second thought, go pet a bear. With a hand covered in honey -- spring is
the perfect time to pet one.

Old April 10th 04, 09:04 PM
Ian St. John

"Ian St. John" wrote in message

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message

.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes.

Takes one to know one.

We don't take your confession too seriously. Even granted that you are

an
ape or have the intelligence of one, it is hard to determine who is on

the
other end of a post.

I meant him, not me

You kinda missed the part where I pointed out that you can only testify
about yourself...

to quote a bumper sticker "If you object to logging, try wiping your

ass
with plastic toilet paper!! "

Paper does not come from logging of timberlands. It comes from treefarms
mostly. Areas dedicated to growing trees as a crop, no different than

any
other farmland. Continuous supply, rather than opportunistic

exploitation
is
the rule. But then, you are really ignorant of the facts aren't you?

Funny we have no such "farms" in Ontario Canada. We do have BUSH, aka

dence
forest.

"Dence", must be some combination of dense and dunce? That would be
appropriate since paper mills don't use bush. It is a mix of pine, spruce,
poplar, etc. trees.

Go hug a tree, and leave the rest of us alone.

The majority of sane people value the environments so the 'rest of us'

you
refer to must mean those in mental institutions like yourself?

Micheal
(someone who loves the outdoors but lives in the real world)

Is that what they call the rubber room these days? My. My. Perhaps they

will
let you into the wider outdoors ( presumably the recreation room ) soon

and
you can experience it again.

Gotta love them bouncy walls, they keep my head intact

On second thought, go pet a bear. With a hand covered in honey -- spring

is
the perfect time to pet one.

Bears prefer three day old fish guts. Try that..

Old April 11th 04, 12:59 AM
R.White

Mike Vandeman wrote in message . ..
Stanford, Craig, Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for
Human Nature. New York, N.Y.: Basic Books, 2001.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes.

Apes are gay.
Old April 11th 04, 02:27 AM
Stephen Baker

Default Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": _Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Co

Ian Sinjun says:

We do have BUSH, aka
dence
forest.

"Dence", must be some combination of dense and dunce? That would be
appropriate since paper mills don't use bush.

It would be appropriate for the American Bush, too

;-P

Steve
Old April 11th 04, 02:28 AM
Stephen Baker

R White says:

Apes are gay.

Takes one to know one...

Sorry - that's bee ndone before in this thread. Still true, though ;-P

Steve
Old April 11th 04, 12:13 PM
R.White

ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message ...
R White says:

Apes are gay.

Takes one to know one...

Sorry - that's bee ndone before in this thread. Still true, though ;-P

I don't know any apes. My MIL is close though.