"A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S."

Old September 1st 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default "A Comparative Study of Impacts to Mountain Bike Trails in Five Common Ecological Regions of the Southwestern U.S."

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:55:28 +1000, stevemtbsteve
wrote:

[Edward Dolan wrote:]

'It is very strange to me that bikers can't seem to realize how
they destroy the wilderness experience for us hikers.'

Nice, based on the view of one, believing themself to be so important
as to speak on behalf of all 'us hikers'. As a biker, hiker and park
ranger, I would have to say respect for your fellow trail user is the
way forward. At least MV and the other guys here are attempting an
arguement, based on reason (most/ some of the time). Diving in with a
cheap shot about one group of trail users you don't like, and
proclaiming to speak on behalf of another group, dosen't add much to
the debate.

Spoken like a true anthropocentrist. Such people actually think that
they are making sense when they claim that we should all just "get
along". The problem isn't the presence of people; it's the BIKES, and
their impact on people and wildlife. Human compromises always end up
harming wildlife, who aren't given a voice. Without their bikes,
mountain bikers are indistinguishable from other people. Once on a
bike, they start feeling that everyone else should get out of their
way and let them rip up nature. It's like when people get behind the
wheel of a car: they turn into a different person. And it's not a
pretty picture. You forgot about the part of your job that requires
you to protect wildlife and the natural environment. Shame on you.

It is hard to believe that a park ranger could have written the above
rubbish. The most critical component of this whole debate for me is that it
is not possible for hikers and bikers to share the same trails. It is an
incompatible use. The park ranger needs to be taken to the woodshed for a
good sound whipping to get his head screwed on straight. Why can't we all
just get along - indeed!

Mr. Vandeman's arguments on trail impact and wildlife impact do not get to
the heart of the issue for me - which is the utter incompatibility of bikers
and hikers using the same trails. The park ranger would like to discuss Mr.
Vandeman's issues and not mine because he knows my issue directly effects
his job as to how to manage the trails. We need park rangers like him like
we need an extra hole in our heads.

Like Mr. Vandeman said, shame on you!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 1st 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

[Edward Dolan wrote:]

[...]

Must be a park DE-ranger. I'm sure someone dropped a couple of letters
somewhere.

Like Mr. Vandeman said, shame on you!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota