More Mountain Biker Vandalism!

Old November 15th 08, 01:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default More Mountain Biker Vandalism!

Mountain bikers apparently think that pulling up survey stakes will
prevent their trails from being closed! Once a criminal, always a
criminal....

Mike

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:07:28 -0800
From: "MORCA Webmaster"
To: "Monterey Off-Road Cycling Association (MORCA)"

Subject: [morca] From Stan Cook at ESCA

Dear MORCA,

I am asking MORCA to please assit me in getting the word out to its
members so they can share it with their friends and hopefully reach
the members of our community that are pulling the ESCA Survey stakes
which will actiually drag out the ESCA munitions cleanup.

Currently we are experincing extensive vandalisum to the ESCA Cleanup
program by the removal of survey stakes. Contrary to what was printed
under the front page article in the Hearld, the clean up is not
closing trails to make way for development. Pulling the ESCA Survey
stakes will actiually drag out the ESCA Cleanup work and result in a
longer time that the trails have to be closed.

The ESCA team has jumped on the cleanup of the Parker Flats area with
as much speed as possible in an effort to get this area cleanup in the
shortest time frame possible so that the trail net work system can be
reopened with the minimal impact on the biking, hiking and the
equestrian community. Please help us get the cleanup done as soon as
possible by sharing with everyone, that uses the trails at Fort Ord,
the facts:
1) We are working as fast as we can to get the Parker Flats area
cleaned up (and much of that will be cleaned up to support perminate
habitat.)
2) The BLM trails are will remain open.
3) The paved roads through the ESCA properties will remain open for
bikers hikers and equestrians to reach the BLM property.

Thank you,

Stan Cook
ESCA Program Manager

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old November 15th 08, 01:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default More Mountain Biker Vandalism! AND Illegal Riding of Closed Trails!

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:56:43 -0800
From: "Henrietta Stern"

Hi All*
Stan called me as the MORCA representative in the Trail Users Working
Group to express his concerns. He did not mention this in his e-mail,
but ESCA is hyper-concerned about safety, the interaction of
bikers/hikers/horses/runners with workers and machinery such as large
schredders that throw out vegetation at high rate of speed that could
injure someone. He mentioned that their workers are encountering
folks on the trail and are feeling alarmed. If needed, ESCA can
decide to spend the money to really close things down (fencing,
guards) and be forced to be a lot less cooperative with the
trail-using community.

Spread the word to all your friends, who hopefully will tell their
friends, that pulling up stakes in the work area just creates a tense
situation and could lead to ESCA actions that really hurt all trail
users. We have no idea who is pulling up stakes*it could be one
individual not even related to cycling*but hopefully the word will get
out that such action does not help matters, and does not make the ESCA
or FORA Reuse Plan go away*it just strains relations and makes things
worse.
If folks need to vent their frustration, come help MORCA do trail
work, help Return of the Natives restore habitats, and do something
physically positive to counteract the negative.

I do not look forward to the day (very soon) when Happy Trails are
closed, and physically altered, and will feel great sadness and some
anger on that day. But we have also acted in good faith to try to
make the best of the situation and work for re-access as soon as
possible along with lobbying to preserve trees etc in habitat areas as
much as possible. So, let’s hope the actions of a few do not burn
these bridges.

By the way, Stan confirmed that the Happy Trails area is still open
(the formal transfer papers have not been signed), but NOT in the
Parker Flats area where actual remediation work is going on. So get
out and ride this lovely weekend!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old November 15th 08, 02:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

Default More lumberjack vanderlism!

Michael J.Vandeman wrote:
As I was about to cut down a tree to lay a third
layer of logs on my little log cabin in the woods, I took one swing
at the trunk with my axe, and immediately got a painful sting (there
must have been a bee-hive in the tree) and ran away as fast as I could.

i am sure these were not lands open to logging and cutting...