Method for finding a creak

Old May 31st 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Method for finding a creak

Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated
Old May 31st 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 31/05/2011 12:15 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Seat or seat post?

--
JS.
Old May 31st 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

"stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away."

Saddle, post, clamp etc?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 31st 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.
:
: What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

:"stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away."

:Saddle, post, clamp etc?

My Brooks creaked for a while, leather rubbing agains a rail. Sounded
just like a loose crank creak. Drove me battier. Touch of sno seal
at all the leather steel interfaces cured it.

--
sig 19
Old May 31st 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/30/2011 9:53 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
wrote:
:Andre Jute wrote:
: Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
: fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
: CREAK IS STILL THERE.
:
: If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.
:
: What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

:"stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away."

:Saddle, post, clamp etc?

My Brooks creaked for a while, leather rubbing agains a rail. Sounded
just like a loose crank creak. Drove me battier. Touch of sno seal
at all the leather steel interfaces cured it.

Mind your own beeswax, eh?

See http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 31st 11, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 30, 7:15 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

There's your method - you've just eliminated the seat.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

The seat.

Old May 31st 11, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 5/30/2011 10:15 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

I had something similar and it turned out to be coming from my front
dropouts. Put a bit of grease and tightened the easy off more and it
went away. Subsequent tests showed that the grease was not necessary.

That was my reason for posting here and it worked out.
Old May 31st 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 5/31/2011 1:05 AM, Dan O wrote:
On May 30, 7:15 pm, Andre wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

There's your method - you've just eliminated the seat.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

The seat.

Yeah but depending on the bike, standing may shift weight OFF the front
wheel.
Old May 31st 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mike[_8_]

In article 0a4907fc-9bac-428e-b005-a1e83834ea92@
24g2000yqk.googlegroups.com, says...
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated

Seriously - if all else fails - find a quiet road and a friend. If the
creak appears at low speeds then cycle slowly while the friend jogs
along beside you listening carefully until they can locate where the
creak is coming from. If it only occurs at higher speed then your friend
cycles beside you and attempts the same - harder to locate accurately
though.

This really works as human ears are really only designed to locate
sopunds in a horizontal plane (assuming a relatively upright body). Your
friend can reposition themselves to locate the sound whereas your ears
(unless you have a very unusual body construction) are symmetrically
placed over the bike which makes it almost impossible to localise in the
up/down, forwards/backwards directions.

Once you know precisely where the noise is coming from - saddle, frame,
headset, cranks, rear bearings etc... - you shoulkd find it much simpler
to work out what is causing it.

Mike

Old June 3rd 11, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_4_]

On 31/05/2011 03:15, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated

I had similar. It turned out to be the clip mechanism on the SPD pedals.
When I changed the position of my foot e.g. standing up, it went away.

I poured some oil over the clip springs and this fixed it.

CreakCreakCreakCreak Patrick W Techniques 10 November 2nd 05 10:07 PM
Creak as you are spoken to Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 August 22nd 05 12:37 PM
BB creak Claudius Vitalis Techniques 0 July 13th 05 10:16 PM
qu-ax creak skicker Unicycling 5 March 18th 05 11:38 AM
Creak in new bike Michael Warner Australia 16 March 24th 04 11:13 PM