A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Social Issues
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cities Turning to Bicycles



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 10th 04, 12:54 PM
Stefan Schulze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cities Turning to Bicycles

[Followup-To trimmed]

* (DonQuijote1954):

[Autobahn]
German version : No speedlimits.


On most German Autobahns there is a speedlimit of ususually 100 km/h
or 120 km/h nowadays. Autobahns without speedlimits are rare
exceptions.

Although the speedlimits are seldom enforced, most drivers drive
according to the law.

--
Stefan
Ads
  #2  
Old September 10th 04, 06:35 PM
Stefan Schulze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[Group list & Followup-To trimmed]

* the black rose :

DonQuijote1954 wrote:

German version : No speedlimits.


Only on the Autobahn. All other roads have speed limits.


That's not true. In Germany there is no general speedlimit on the
Autobahn and on dual carriageways. However, most Autobahns and dual
carriageways have a speedlimit between 80 and 120 km/h.

Following the tragic death of a young woman and her two children last
year which was caused by a DaimlerChrysler test driver driving at 250
km/h public opinion has changed in Germany. Most people now consider a
general speedlimit of 160 or 180 km/h sensible.

--
Stefan
  #3  
Old September 10th 04, 06:36 PM
Stefan Schulze
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[Group list & Followup-To trimmed]

* the black rose :

DonQuijote1954 wrote:

German version : No speedlimits.


Only on the Autobahn. All other roads have speed limits.


That's not true. In Germany there is no general speedlimit on the
Autobahn and on dual carriageways. However, most Autobahns and dual
carriageways have a speedlimit between 80 and 120 km/h.

Following the tragic death of a young woman and her two children last
year which was caused by a DaimlerChrysler test driver driving at 250
km/h public opinion has changed in Germany. Most people now consider a
general speedlimit of 160 or 180 km/h sensible.

--
Stefan
  #4  
Old September 15th 04, 05:05 AM
Rick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jack May wrote:

But these are figure that don't count the oil used to grow, transport, and
cook the food that is used to power the person that is doing the riding. A
totally stupid analysis.


No, what you wrote qualifies as silly. Those figures are a constant for
both the cyclist and the non-cyclist, since both eat and the food comes
from these same sources. The non-cyclist typically consumes more
calories than the cyclist because cycling improves the effiency of the
human engine and reudces the number of heartbeats per minute, further
reducing the number of calories. While amount of additional food
required to feed a fit cyclist who trains for racing may well be
significant, the commute cyclist does not need any additional food than
his sedentary counterpart and may well consume less.

Its like those idiot that call electric cars zero pollution because they
don't know where the energry came from. Just for food processing we get
"All together the food-processing industry in the United States uses about
ten calories of fossil-fuel energy for every calorie of food energy it
produces."


In those cases, you are correct. There is no non-polluting form of
transport, though some are clearly less polluting and more efficient
than others. If you use, say, hydroelectric or geothermal plants,
pollution is still a huge concern (as is the localized environmantal
damage), but the overall air quality would clearly improve.

....stuff deleted

  #5  
Old September 17th 04, 07:14 PM
H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Frank Krygowski wrote in message ...
Matthew Russotto wrote:

Personally, I don't value self-sufficiency as much as I value community.

Too many Americans (males, especially) have a fantasy view of the world,
based on a myth of the rugged man going out solo into the wilderness.
So of course, they buy a 4x4 in case they have to haul in some
provisions over a dirt track. [...]




Indeed. I see stuff like that all the time.

I don't remember all this suburban, edge-city madness when I was
growing up in the 70's. I think that much of this happened over the
last 30 years or so when the old cities experienced white-flight into
the burbs.

Ironically, a lot of these "self-sufficient" techno-libertarian types,
live in developments that were bought by some large corporate
development company at cheap prices from truly self-sufficient family
farms who have had their land for generations. The development
companies then proceed to strip out all the character from the land
and put up god-awful plywood and tyvek movie-sets according to some
bland pre-spec'd design. They then give these swaths of crap made-up
names like "whatever ridge", "humdrum pointe", "blah-blah
village".

People then actually pay money to move into these places, and abandon
_real_ cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, etc. The old
cities suffer the economic consequences that are a direct consequence
of white-flight while edge-city people then spew negative crap about
how the city is crumbling and that it deserves what it gets. In
reality, the families of many of these folks resided in the old cities
for generations and it was their recent abandonment of the city that
precipitated its problems.

But hey, that's "self-sufficiency" for you.
  #6  
Old September 19th 04, 08:58 PM
Claire Petersky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[Trimmed off rec.bicycles.rides, and also rec.autos.driving on the list of
newsgroups.]

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
...
Brent P wrote:


Also, these humps, speed bumps, etc are also an annoyance on bicycle.


Not at all, in my experience.


I think it depends on design. We had a spirited discussion :-) at one of the
ped/bike advisory meetings with the design engineer about the design of
speed humps on a particular street. The neighborhood is gung-ho on traffic
calming because the street is both on the way to the local high school and
elementary school, and a back way in to a major employer (Microsoft), so it
sees more traffic than it was originally designed for.

The street is two lanes, curbed with fog lines. The question was, where do
you end the speed hump? You can end it at the fog line, but then you'll have
cars going over the fog line all the time to avoid the hump on the right
side. So, this was ruled out. The design engineer thought it might be a good
idea to end the speed hump half-way across the paved area between the fog
line and the curb. The cyclists present at the meeting objected, saying that
if you are a commuter, and riding in the dark, you might not realize you're
at the edge of the hump and lose your balance because you haven't hit the
hump square on. We argued for the hump going all the way to the curb. This
is how it eventually was built.

During the day, during light traffic, say on a weekend ride, you can aim
your bike down the slot they have for the emergency vehicles, which is about
where the left wheel well is, and avoid the hump completely. Otherwise, you
just ride over the hump, which even at 22 mph or so (what I'd average on the
downhill-ish side of the street) is noticeable, but not jarring.

Warm Regards,

CP


  #7  
Old September 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:02:33 GMT,
. net,
enslaved scud jockey "Mark Jones" wrote:

Filthy, deadly, stinky and noisey but still just a toy.

Actually it is quite clean and uses 2 catalytic converters
to reduce exhaust emissions.


Lock yourself in the garage with it and burn off a tank of the filthy,
deadly and stinky fuel then tell me how clean it is.

thppppft!
--
zk
  #8  
Old September 20th 04, 03:50 AM
Robert Cote
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:02:33 GMT,
. net,
enslaved scud jockey "Mark Jones" wrote:

Filthy, deadly, stinky and noisey but still just a toy.

Actually it is quite clean and uses 2 catalytic converters
to reduce exhaust emissions.


Lock yourself in the garage with it and burn off a tank of the filthy,
deadly and stinky fuel then tell me how clean it is.

thppppft!


A myth left over from old Hollywood movies.
  #9  
Old September 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:33:50 GMT,
. net,
"Mark Jones" wrote:

There are a lot more narrow speed bumps where I live than
there are wide ones.


So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
--
zk
  #10  
Old September 22nd 04, 01:38 AM
Mark Jones
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
...
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:33:50 GMT,
. net,
"Mark Jones" wrote:

There are a lot more narrow speed bumps where I live than
there are wide ones.


So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

I don't need to slow down because I do not speed in
residential areas. Too many ways to have an accident
because of kids playing and people entering and leaving
driveways.

You are the one whining because I have a performance
car and you don't like them. Get over it.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rec.Bicycles Frequently Asked Questions Posting Part 1/5 Mike Iglesias General 4 October 29th 04 07:11 AM
Cities Turning to Bicycles Roger Zoul General 468 October 20th 04 02:53 AM
Cities Turning to Bicycles TBGibb Rides 11 October 4th 04 12:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.